Adventures in Side-chaining.

I wanted to see if it was possible to create a side-chain pump effect on an OP-1. I've tried a bunch of things in the past and this seems like the most practical method. It can work with several of the synth engines, but for the sake of this example, I'll use DRWAVE because it can easily achieve a very full, synthpad sound.

To start with a neutral sound, Shift + (1) takes you to the Engine selection menu. This is the screen that doesn't give you the option for the premade patches. Note: This menu will allow you to keep the settings that you programmed for the Envelope, FX & LFO, and try it with different engines.

After pressing Shift + (1), switch to DRWAVE. The default setting is great, except for the sweeping modulation, so turn the orange encoder counter-clockwise until it stops. I think the tone is most pleasant when the octave is set to 0 or 1.

Press (2) + Shift. Make sure that the Playmode is set to POLY. The Portamento isn't necessary for this effect.

I attached a photo of the ideal envelope setting. The perspective is a bit shifted because of my phone's angle, you will actually want that faint vertical line to align with the space between buttons 1 & 2. The envelope is really the most important part of the effect. With the white encoder, bring the sustain all the way down. Turn the orange encoder clockwise to decrease the amount of release.

Go to the ENDLESS Sequencer and enter your chord progression. Set it for 1/4 and you should only have a single dot for the pattern.

Let the sequence play and that's it! You can return to the envelope screen and play around with the green, white & orange encoders to get variations on the effect.

If you try this, feel free to post your examples below or anything else that you discover.

Shark attack!

Thanks @THSC for the write-up, will try this tonight!

awesome! great tip!

https://soundcloud.com/thorpeacre/sticky-side-bits

i’ve found that u can accentuate the pump, or even create your own side chain effect by sending everything thru the compression, setting the kick volume a little higher, and then the output levels (which also act as a threshold on the op, i believe) and compression level so that the compression kicks in heavy only when the kick hits. i do this a lot when actual side chaining is not an option. sometimes even prefer it. can be more natural sounding, and def more adaptive to your actual drum patterns. but sometimes there is a price

certain compressors seem better at this than others. cheap/dirty ones really spank!

i’ve found that u can accentuate the pump, or even create your own side chain effect by sending everything thru the compression, setting the kick volume a little higher, and then the output levels (which also act as a threshold on the op, i believe) and compression level so that the compression kicks in heavy only when the kick hits. i do this a lot when actual side chaining is not an option. sometimes even prefer it. can be more natural sounding, and def more adaptive to your actual drum patterns. but sometimes there is a price

certain compressors seem better at this than others. cheap/dirty ones really spank!

What do you mean by “thru the compression”? Are you referring an external device?

@docshermsticks

Same confused (;^◇^;)ゝ. Requesting clarification.

i meant just sending everything into the compression which is really the only option on the op1. whereas in a traditional side chain scenario, u would typically have to split your sounds into two groups (the sound that triggers the ducking, and the sounds to be ducked by the trigger) tried to explain it both ways. generic and on the op1. as this is a trick that works on pretty much any compressor not just the op1s w/o the need for an actual side chain insert.

if u are familiar w/ the sp404/303 compression and its tricks u know what i’m talking about!

hope this clears things up!

He’s referring to the drive/release option in the mixer, which is the OP-1 compressor.

^ oh right. of course i just glance over the obvious… my b!

That’s smart!!