advice on hardware samplers

Of course it is possible :slight_smile:

It is and I trim only on the MPC, it’s just you said you would do that on computer.

It is and I trim only on the MPC, it's just you said you would do that on computer.

I’m a muppet! I should have written that I use midi from pc/laptop to trigger them.

Of course it is possible :)
damn that's embarrassing.
Have you seen this?

Great look at samplers. It actually has re-invigorated my use of the OP1 synth sampler to just sample one shots and pitch them around

pitch them? I thought you can’t do that on op1… only transpose. see I’ve never looked into the manual or properly watched any tutorial so there’s a chance that some of the functions are still undiscovered

Using the synth sampler automatically pitches things chromatically, like Junkie XL does in the vid with the different samplers. Sounds nice and gritty on some stuff pitched down, particularly brassy synth patches

That Junkie XL video is terrific, well worth a watch. Has me checking out ebay regularly for a cheap deal on a vintage rack sampler!

Get the sp. it is diff than Mpc but if u didn’t like octatrack you will like sp. it is just a playful easy sampler and if u get the sx and a big card it will hold like days worth of samples

After reading your post - kp3 no good for you . 4 bar loops max.

one track? :frowning: bummer

One track might not be the best way to put it, each pad is a pattern that you can record with/without quantize and keep layering samples with undos, but that’s it. It’s not terrible by any means just limited. You can go up to 99 bars though, that helps. Hope I’m saying this right.

Get the sp. it is diff than Mpc but if u didn't like octatrack you will like sp. it is just a playful easy sampler and if u get the sx and a big card it will hold like days worth of samples

^^ This.

The 404 to me is more like an instrument.

That Junkie XL video is terrific, well worth a watch. Has me checking out ebay regularly for a cheap deal on a vintage rack sampler!

yeah I watched it a couple of days ago. owned Mirage back in the 90’s … it never worked :slight_smile:

Get the sp. it is diff than Mpc but if u didn't like octatrack you will like sp. it is just a playful easy sampler and if u get the sx and a big card it will hold like days worth of samples

cheers man… yeah they are defo on my list now

Have you seen this?

Great look at samplers. It actually has re-invigorated my use of the OP1 synth sampler to just sample one shots and pitch them around

pitch them? I thought you can’t do that on op1… only transpose. see I’ve never looked into the manual or properly watched any tutorial so there’s a chance that some of the functions are still undiscovered

Using the synth sampler automatically pitches things chromatically, like Junkie XL does in the vid with the different samplers. Sounds nice and gritty on some stuff pitched down, particularly brassy synth patches

I’ve been OP1 user for about 2 years ; haven’t sampled anything into the drum synth even once. I have even forgotten that it was possible. I must try it.

Have you seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDUMMOKY3jo

Back in the '90s I was making tunes exclusively with an Akai s2800 sampler and a Tascam 424 4-track. Still have the Akai. It sounds rad, but is a pain in the ass to use compared to modern options (the OP-1 is WAY more versatile). I paid too much for a memory upgrade to 16 whole MB of ram, and used lots and lots of floppy disks. When I played live I used to spend 10 min before playing just loading up samples from like a whole box of floppies. Still have many, many boxes of disks of samples in a closet. Good times.

Have you seen this?

There’s a trick from @SammyJams in the tips and tricks thread, I think, where he records live into the finger sequencer whilst pitching the same sample with the encoder (the red one? ). After playing back the sequence the different pitch levels are recorded! Super feature!

Edit: After try-out I remembered you have to use the arrow keys to pitch up and down.

ReEdit: This only changes the octave. I have to do more research :slight_smile:

I've been OP1 user for about 2 years ; haven't sampled anything into the drum synth even once. I have even forgotten that it was possible. I must try it.

There’s two types of samplers: the drum sampler is 12 secs long max, and each key can be edited and pitched individually. The synth sampler is 6 sec long, is sampled to one key and then pitched chromatically up and down. I use the synth sampler to achieve what Junkie XL does in the vid (i.e. record one pitch, let the sampler’s algorithm pitch it around)

Have you seen this?

There’s a trick from @SammyJams in the tips and tricks thread, I think, where he records live into the finger sequencer whilst pitching the same sample with the encoder (the red one? ). After playing back the sequence the different pitch levels are recorded! Super feature!

Edit: After try-out I remembered you have to use the arrow keys to pitch up and down.

ReEdit: This only changes the octave. I have to do more research :slight_smile:

I need to check this one out… it seems there’s still much to discover. Coolio

I've been OP1 user for about 2 years ; haven't sampled anything into the drum synth even once. I have even forgotten that it was possible. I must try it.

There’s two types of samplers: the drum sampler is 12 secs long max, and each key can be edited and pitched individually. The synth sampler is 6 sec long, is sampled to one key and then pitched chromatically up and down. I use the synth sampler to achieve what Junkie XL does in the vid (i.e. record one pitch, let the sampler’s algorithm pitch it around)

I have only used the drum sampler; but correct me if I’m wrong; you can only transpose the sample, not pitch. I think I’ll try the synth sampler soon, hopefully I’ll come up with something unique.

btw I’m surprised that no one mentioned Toiraz . no love for pioneer in here? plenty of fans elsewhere.

i love my SP404sx it’s a sample TANK check the specs
to point out
“The maximum sampling time (size) for a single sample is approximately 180 minutes in stereo (2 GB)” aswell as “Card capacity / Stereo (Mono) = 32GB / Approx.48 hours (96 hours)” “Current Draw 450 mA"

3h a single sample ! WOW
it uses 450mA so when i’m on the go i can power it up via Powerbank usb-2-DC [[ 450 mA
power connection

5,5x2,5 polarity (inside +)- oustside ]]

(only downsize) but
!! Samples: 120 !! = 12 samples x 10 banks

in short
”+1 for the sp404sx"