After Hours (new song with OP-1)

Hey All,

Our new track is now online, free download. OP-1, Nord Drum 2, Mopho x4, Sub Phatty, Patterning and a number of fx pedals were used to compose this song. Please feel free to comment.
Cheers.

https://soundcloud.com/adorioffice/after-hours

Wow! Great song! It is very complex sounding, but not muddy with too many parts. Every part seems to sit in its own place. I like the rhythmic aspects too. And I am always a sucker for interesting and dynamic delay FX.

Thanks @GCF for your feedback. As for complex yet not too complex: I used to be prone to overcomplicate my sound with too many layers and tracks. But these days I follow the cult of ‘less is more’. :slight_smile: Thanks again !

Where are the vocals from? Did you get someone to record this?

Nice song.

Nice work @jooga1972. Did you record all with the op ?

@spacetravelmadeeasy I do this project together with a female vocalist, Andrea, she did all the vocals, I did the recording / mixing / mastering in my humble home studio (which is my happy corner in our living room). I work with Propellerhead Reason 8 on my Macbook Pro, tracks are laid with a Focusrite Pro 40 + a Focusrite Pro 14 firewire interface-combo. I use a Heil PR 40 mic thru an A.R.T. tube pre to record the vocals.

@quarantequatre only the lead synth parts (from 01:15) were played with the OP-1.

Thanks guys for the feedback, glad you liked the song.

I’m going to fire this one up tomorrow morning fella :slight_smile: I’ll get back to you in due time

I liked the build up to this and had no idea where it was taking me. The bass kicked me right in the face at the start and got my head bopping. Result. It disappeared as the vocals progressively came to dominate. Overall, they forcefully took centre stage. I enjoyed the lyrics and the message they conveyed, I felt they would benefit with a bussed de-esser to notch out the harshness but not loose that rawness that I know you love.
Your percussion sounds are brilliant! I enjoyed the sound FX the most out of all the elements of the track, well, that and the bass.
Overall it is very detailed and you have reminded me of the fact that ‘less is more.’

Jooga, can I do a remix of this?

I liked the build up to this and had no idea where it was taking me. The bass kicked me right in the face at the start and got my head bopping. Result. It disappeared as the vocals progressively came to dominate. Overall, they forcefully took centre stage. I enjoyed the lyrics and the message they conveyed, I felt they would benefit with a bussed de-esser to notch out the harshness but not loose that rawness that I know you love. Your percussion sounds are brilliant! I enjoyed the sound FX the most out of all the elements of the track, well, that and the bass. Overall it is very detailed and you have reminded me of the fact that 'less is more.'

Jooga, can I do a remix of this?

Thanks for the detailed feedback, it's always good to know what and how others think of one's work. Making music is an eternal learning-curve as I see it so I am grateful for hints, suggestions and advice. Yours are appreciated too! :)

As for the bass kicking in right at the start, it is actually a kick drum track, probably from the Nord Drum 2, with decay pretty high up, hence it does work as a supplementary bass layer as well. It indeed gets a little buried in the mix when the vocals appear and here's where I must admit that I'm never perfectly happy with my final mixes. Most of the time they're decent enough but more in the lo-fi realm than mainstream electro.

We'd be more than happy if you did a remix! Just email me at jooga1972@gmail.com.

Cheers, Gabor

Cool! Thanks for your reply! It is always good to try and understand another’s perspective because then we can learn more about others and more about ourselves! The reason why I felt less is more is because I learnt that I have enjoyed stepping away from the computer more and more. I have to use it for mix downs and mastering but when I turn that thing on it and arrange or mix and master I get lost with all the gazillion other things that my computer can do. I am hyper-detailed when it comes to everything! It can work but I was talking to my music friend the other day and he wondered how this guy made so many decent sounding tracks in a short space of time, it just so happened that I know both of their workflows and taking my own situation into consideration I could provide him with the answer.
Of course, mixing in the box you are going to have tonnes of options. I found out that if I mix everything through my DAW and then into my sampler I cut the options I’m left with when I move the samples into said box with the black screen. It’s like getting my clothes out for the next day before hitting the sack… If I don’t, I can stand there for 5 minutes deciding what clothes to wear, I can get distracted and then it turns into 10 minutes. Get me?

When I’m finally in the DAW I’ve already eq’d and all I’m needing to do is tidy some bits and bobs and occasionally do some extra things. I say it like I’ve been doing it for years, the truth is I hope I am doing it like that for years but I’ve only done it once with the track I shared on here! But anyway, that’s where I’m at so I thought I’d share it, if you can take anything out of it, even just a small thing, then great!

I thought the bass was a kick drum decayed tbh - I love using that idea too. I used it on DARXXXIDE with my TR-8 :wink:

Sorry if I babbled, have you watched any of Dave Pensado’s ‘Into the Lair’ episodes? I pick up golden nuggets in that place all the time!

I’ll email you soon buddy :slight_smile:

The gritty, scratched-glass sound in the background is wonderful! The whole track is great man!