An idea for avoiding GAS - what do you think?

I had an idea recently for avoiding GAS - tie any new purchase to first having created and released something.

e.g. I keep wanting to buy either a Volca FM or Elektron A4, but won’t let myself until I make and release at least a 3-track EP.

Anyone tried something similar?
4 Likes

Like it, I’ve always made myself sell gear to fund the new stuff. Really makes you think about purchasing. Sometimes you realize what you got is worth keeping.

2 Likes

I do something like this - no gear for me until I’ve completed a challenge. It works for getting challenges completed.

same! i always buy used too, so if i change my mind i can usually get most if not all my money back on the flip.

then its like i paid almost nothing to borrow a device for as long as i wanted to. made some cool beats on it.
win-win-win.

@johnl Thats the process I work with - nothing new happens unless I make/finish something with what I have or its (eventually) not for me and I flip it on eBay. The latter does lead to GAS though, which may not be ideal…

Seven years ago, I bought way more gear than I should. Since then, I keep on selling stuff before I buy anything new. I will do this until I regularly use 100% of my gear on all my musical projects.

@johnl Nice idea, but you are forgetting: you always need this exact piece of gear (that you don’t have) to finish your current project. And then another one … :wink:

Seven years ago, I bought way more gear than I should. Since then, I keep on selling stuff before I buy anything new. I will do this until I regularly use 100% of my gear on all my musical projects.

@johnl Nice idea, but you are forgetting: you always need this exact piece of gear (that you don’t have) to finish your current project. And then another one … :wink:

These are both great pieces of advice. Another one I can add is try to have at least 75% of your GAS fund be from music income.

I never buy stuff at release (or, god forbid, pre-order). The decision will be colored by marketing and hype. Odds are your needs don’t correspond to what’s trendy today anyways. Buy everything used as music gear isn’t worn out. Learn every piece 100 %. Never hope for additional features through updates and read the manual pre-purchase. Face yourself (do some psychedelics maybe) and ask if you really need more stuff. Odds are you would be much better off spending funds on free time developing skills than on another shiny new thing.

1 Like

I lusted after a MS-20 mini and an Analog 4 for years and resisted all the while watching the prices rise, both new and second hand.

I imagine a few people have done this with the OP-1…

1 Like

It’s nice to wait for a 4-6 weeks period after a new GAS episode, before buying anything. During that period, you can figure out ways to get similar sounds/options within your current setup and also think about global integration and potential issues.

I know this is an Old topic.
I recently discovered a great resource might be your local library, IF your library system has the “library of things” . The local library system here in Washington county, OR has most of the Korg volka instruments, moog theremini, and some other items like Tascam digital recorders and USB audio/mixing boards. It helped me try some of the volka series before deciding to buy or not. I have since put in requests to the library to add Pocket Operators and the Circuit rhythm because I think the purchase threshold is $500 and they only buy new equipment.

I just discovered that at my workplace there are some Korg ms-20 minis and a moog minitaur in the equipment library, which I can borrow! It’s good to look around the office once in a while.

One tip I like, is to not watch any videos or tutorials on gear or software I don’t own.

2 Likes

Sometimes I make myself look through the manual of something I think I want. Then if my eyes start glazing over contemplating having to learn the ins and outs of yet another instrument interface, the GAS is cured, and I feel happier about using stuff I already own and know;)

2 Likes

I have to stay off forums if I don’t want to GAS over new gear. And here I am…

1 Like

And in the contrary, watch videos on gear you already own :wink:

On Elektronauts, some people have vowed to avoid getting new gear in 2022.
I’m one of them. There’s a limit to what you can learn, better learn with what you own/master already.

I like this idea.

4 Likes

I am part of this challenge. At least for hardware (I exclude VSTs as I still need to complete my collection of essentials).

Also, an idea that works great for me is to try to rotate among the gear I already own. I realise I barely have time to use all the machines, so this is pointless to buy new stuff unless selling other stuff before.