Another OP-1 DOA

Looks like pasting the links did not work so I’ll try again.

Video1

Video2

I wonder what happens when you first downgrade to a previous version and then upload the current one?

The old OS files can be found here:
http://oper8.free.fr/op1_os/

@JR33D I got a response from TE this morning. They stated I should not run 218 on my device and attached another firmware to the email. I’m not sure why they would ship devices using something newer than prod or have their software check for versions that will brick the device, but it sounds like I would have had a fix had I waited. Oh well.

Wonder why they didn’t give you that version to try.

And the version attached is, in fact, 220.

hmmm, I wonder what is different with the firmware and if it would run on the older OP-1s.

Wow. That is super super vexing. So, I could have held onto the one I originally got and put 220 back on for the win. It’s very maddening that the TE website listed 2.18as the most recent AND had a graphical flag on it saying “NEW” when I went there originally. That is what led me to believe updating was the right thing to do. I’m not sure why they didn’t send me 220 or for that matter even mention it.

If I had to guess I’d say that when uploading an older OS than is on the device some of the newer firmware stays in place creating incompatibilities with the older OS. That shouldn’t happen. Just like when updating a computer bios it should check the version and stop the install or at least notify the user that a newer firmware is already loaded and ask if they’re sure they want to attempt to overwrite with the older file.

Maybe they’ve made some hardware changes, which are only supported in the firmware Version 220…

they could have changed the bootloader to one that doesn’t support older firmwares. this is often the case. this is why i decided not to downgrade 220 to 218 even though 218 is the latest firmware on the website.<br style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”><br style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”><span style=“font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; color: rgb(37, 38, 30); background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>they could have also made slight hardware updates that require a new os.<br style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”><br style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>i agree it not good to be inconsistent with os versions. if you are, the general rule is you have to make explicit in instructions the guidelines for different versions. most companies have a firmware guide downloadable right next to the firmware download.

<br style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”><span style=“font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; color: rgb(37, 38, 30); background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>peace, peter.

If you have elements like synths, sequencers or effects currently loaded on the unit, and revert to an old firmware which didn’t have them, the unit will crash during the boot sequence

I have had to make sure I only use the older engines, sequencers and effects when I want to make any kind of test with an older firmware. In this way it never crashes

Anyway, I know the problem here might not be exactly this one. But I think this is relevant info

Mine began this problem just yesterday after being unused for about a week or so. Frustrating to say the least.

I got it plugged and turned on so hopefully something wakes up soon.

UPDATE - she’s back!!! after…

1 day charge between wall 2amp and macbook;
factory reset;
system test;
firmware reload.

whew!!!

Which firmware? 2.18? 2.20?

2.18 is what was on before the ‘incident’. I just reloaded 2.18 again and then all my sounds.

No issues since that.
2.18 is what was on before the 'incident'. I just reloaded 2.18 again and then all my sounds.

No issues since that.

Awesome!!! Now we know, but wish we would have been told!

My new one arrives Friday. At least now I know how to not destroy it. Ha.

Finally! The new unit arrived. With 2.20 loaded and it works great. All’s well that ends well I suppose. Thanks for all the sympathetic ears and helpful suggestions. Can’t wait to crank out some tracks on this little gem.

Wonder could you check something out in firmware 2.20 please?

Enter a sequence of notes in ‘pattern sequencer’. Then set the bpm right down to 40. Then turn the red knob to start the sequence playing.

Is the cursor correctly displayed on each note being played? Or is it always one note ahead of the current note?

It’s an issue we discovered in 2.18 and just interested to know if 2.20 cures it.

Thanks,

CB

I tried this and the cursor is still ahead of the played notes by a step in 2.20.