Antiques shopping

Some advice needed… I’m looking for something more portable to store/transfer aiffs from my op1. I have a working Mac laptop, not the newest but functional, although zilch battery life makes it pretty cumbersome. I was considering an iPad mini, but it seems like the USB connectivity is a little problematic.
To be clear, I’m really not concerned with a lot of processing power, soundcards,
frame rate, resolution , DAWs, VSTs, etc. All I really need is something like a netbook ( ! ) that I can send aiffs to and fro over USB, and let me work on some writing as well. That’s it, no extra bells and whistles. Any pointers appreciated: laptop, iPad, netbook…? (Less is more)

1 Like

I bought an old Packard-Bell DotS. Rubbish, painfully slow, but ran Audacity well enough to create the Inpulse One drumkit, and has a 250GB HD that is easily upgraded.

Paid £30 for it. I’ve seen them for less. Battery life is about 5-6 hours with the extended battery.

Get a winbook tw700 from micro center. 60 bucks. Full windows tablet. Full USB port. Plus micro SD card slot. Simple.

As much as I love my iPad I don’t think it would do what you want. You don’t get access to the file system and there is no way to mount USB storage devices (including the OP-1).

Lenovo think pad x201
13 inch 2.4ghz i5 processor
It’s what I use for my music making.

You can pick them up for a couple of hundred pound from eBay. They were some of the top of the range when released (about 2010) I think and would have been near £2000 new.

Put a solid state hard drive in it and bump it up to 8gb ram and you’ve got a beast that will take a beating. You can also spill liquid over the keyboard and it drains out through special holes - so it’s perfect for gigging.

It’s super light and small.
You can also pick up the ultra base for it which is a dock so you don’t have to plug and unplug stuff all the time.

I use my android to transfer the aifs directly to Google drive.

USB with an adapter to the phone

I have a Kingston Mobilite which connects to USB devices and you connect an iPhone/iPad to it with WiFi. Not the most straightforward way of doing it, but it gets the job done.

What about a new battery for your laptop?

I would just keep using the laptop, & get a new battery…as a laptop, obviously its “portable”, but still a little cumbersome considering how much of it I won’t be needing. Kinda want something stripped down, less distractions. Thanks for the input

Full USB port…http://www.microcenter.com/product/439773/TW70CA17_Tablet_-_Black

I use a Samsung android tablet and OTG cable. However, not enough power from the USB to power the OP-1 so need this connected via a powered hub. Suffice to say this is not at all portable, but handy if on my travels as takes up less room than a laptop.

Laptop wise I generally use an old 15" Apple G4 Powerbook and it works a charm, and is a lovely machine to use. You can pick them up for around £50GB these days but could also get an 11" or 12" for even greater portability even cheaper. Audacity would work great on it for editing samples, etc if you need it.

@ghostly606 that’s strange. I use a nexus 5 with OTG I don’t need external power for it to work.

The Nexus 5 must provide enough power through the USB. I am running a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, the newer models may work fine.

Get a winbook tw700 from micro center. 60 bucks. Full windows tablet. Full USB port. Plus micro SD card slot. Simple.

Followed your lead today. Good move.

Followed your lead today. Good move.

Regretted the hell out of this decision, 6 mo. Later. Fidgety and as sluggish as a stuck pig. Can’t keep a charge… Just awful.

Grabbed a RAVpower WiFi unit. Much nicer, and eliminates the extra step of dumping tracks into Dropbox for retrieval on a decent device.

Bruuuuuh 6 years later on this thread :joy::joy:

1 Like

Spammer nuked :mushroom:

1 Like