Any love for loopers?

Build quality is typical of current Roland (very similar to FA-06)…plasticy but not shoddy.
Effects are pretty decent…there’s some really interesting ones.
The RC-505 is one of the most inspirational pieces of gear I’ve ever had.
You will not regret getting one (I promise).

I have had the pigtronix infinity for a while (i am actually selling on if you are interested)

It is good as a very versatile looper, they recently have released some software that from what i understand, basically allows you to customise its workflow however you like. Otherwise it is great for complex synced loops, mid sync, steve reich phasing loops etc…

I am upgrading to modular as i want to get more in to granular type sounds, but for loop / overdub type workflows the pigtronix is very versatile, comparable to the boomerang.

I also use the X2 on my guitar as it has a simpler workflow btw, its a great pedal tho the switches for reverse / 1/2 speed are a bit flimsy. i had to take the first one i had back as they broke after a week.

/t

The effects are a lot of fun, but nothing you’d find on Belew’s Flux:FX. Build is respectable. Sits nice and firmly in place. I happen to like the design a lot. A few more dedicated buttons might help relieve a bit of menu drilling, but those fat triggers are great. Very well considered, the way the lights keep you on track w/ different loop lengths, etc.

^lolwuht suddenly talking about flux. I am enjoying flux though.

Hmm yes OP1 can be used as a looper, although slightly fiddly compared to a dedicated unit, but in some ways more flexible too.

The RC-505 has pipped my interest since it was announced, but I’m concerned that the midi clock might be rubbish - anyone have experience using it to capture loops from devices slaved to it, and slaving the 505 to another midi device?

OP1 doesnt have crossfades at loop points so is basically unusable as a looper in my opinion. The functionality it offers is great however, so its a bit of a shame…

I own an infinity. It has a “click killer” option that performs a micro crossfade at the loop points. I haven’t got the remote switch for it, or tried out all of the cool new midi options, but for basic looping it’s a dream, and the multiplier and input/loop split functions make it a very interesting tool.

@ darenager yeah the RC-505 clock biz is solid, tried (to and from) korg esx/emx, monotribe, op-1, 909, older dinsync stuff with a converter, octatrack and no probs. only thing I’ve noticed is the odd time when the BPM on the RC has changed itself somehow (when receiving) but never during a capture, only when stopped… And it tops and tails nice, no pops or clicks.
Import and export works a treat too, been making banging acid then dropping the tracks into Ultraloop (twisted tools Reaktor ensemble) for further molestation…
If you see one cheap it’s worth a punt, also has the beat scatter fx from the aira boxes but it seems better implemented, I’ll be keeping mine anyways!

Sooper Looper on OSX with a Behringer midi footpedal worked flawlessly for me back in the days when I was gigging.

I own an infinity. It has a "click killer" option that performs a micro crossfade at the loop points. I haven't got the remote switch for it, or tried out all of the cool new midi options, but for basic looping it's a dream, and the multiplier and input/loop split functions make it a very interesting tool.

@Chuck Infinity is pretty cool, I love it. I find the remote switch very useful to quickly undo a wrong take. It seems rather easy to craft, though.

I still haven’t learned how to use the Octatrack as an advanced looper, but I already know that you can use the Arranger to program recording and replaying for different loops in a song without having to push another button that “Play”.
That seems like the ultimate looper for me !!
Plus I could get drums in the back ground, and other stuff. This machine is such a bottomless pit ^^

i love my ehx 2880. it’s the older version of the 45000 looper. i make almost all of my songs with it. no undo sucks but you can always record over it again if you made a mistake. i bought it because i was recording with ableton at a friend’s house. we were recording loops over loops and finished songs in no time. the ehx was the closest thing i could find on a hardware basis. it’s restricted but the sound quality is VERY good. i would like to have more tracks on it and the possibility to switch to a 2nd loop but i guess you can’t have everything.

Well it isn’t exactly a looper but I decided to pull the trigger on an Octatrack after trying to decide whether or not it was for me for the last year+. Sort of the opposite of the simplicity of a straight-up looper but if I can force myself to learn it the possibilites seem endless. I think pairing it with the OP-1 could be a killer combo.

@burnthair I’m also very satisfied with my 2880 w/ foot pedal and midi sync and full cc midi control.
@unflattered I can gather that people dig the flux for iPad. But do you know if it will run in background? Is it midi compatible ? Thanks for the great advice :slight_smile:

Well done @burnthair, don’t be put off by other’s comments, it’s not hard to learn it’s a matter of deciding what you want it to do for you…
Paired with the OP-1 it’s a gas-killer!

Sooper Looper on OSX with a Behringer midi footpedal worked flawlessly for me back in the days when I was gigging.

yeah SL is good! I made a max patch that let me control it via a launchpad which wa smy main looping rig for a while, here is a video from a while back if anyone is intersted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eui1JvUuhJU

Damn!

That’s sweet!

I got the Ditto X2 last spring and it’s great, although a bit simple. One thing I wish it did is more layers of undo, so you could record a rhythm or “theme”, start layering stuff and then undo your way back and take it into a different direction. As it’s stereo, I’ve been using it with guitar and OP-1 in left and right, and taking the OP-1 output to the PA and guitar to an amp. It’s great fun! I posted one of those jams into some thread too.

I’m really inspired with how Mylets does stuff with a guitar and a drum machine. I think he has two Line6 M9’s midi synced now, before it was a single M9 and some Digitech Digidelay doing loops between loops. He also seems to do the undo/redo thing a lot.

http://youtu.be/n3jT8j88vso

Old thread, but just wanted to mention that I’m using:

• OP-1 for rhythm tape loop
  • MIDI out to Kenton Mkii MIDI Host
  • MIDI in to Boomerang III Phrase Sampler
  • Guitar stuff goes to my Boomerang

So this let’s me come up with good grooves via the OP1 drum and tape looping and what not, and have a MIDI clock sync with the Boomerang, which is just an excellent live looper. So then I can jam more loops using my guitar into the Boomerang, and it all stays in time.

Thx,

• Joe