Anybody own both the OP-1 and MPC Live?

I already have the MPC Live and I love it, but I’m also looking into getting the OP-1 and wanted to see how well the two play together. Seems to be a good companion for going DAWless while traveling.

I have both and I think it’s a really good combo. I use the op-1 as a keyboard for the MPC live which I sometimes need, but the different sequencers is also a great addition to the mpc workflow. It would be cool to send midi via usb from the MPC to the op-1 to be able to use it as a midi looper/recorder, but that’s unfortunately not supported (yet).

@rasmusm said:
I have both and I think it’s a really good combo. I use the op-1 as a keyboard for the MPC live which I sometimes need, but the different sequencers is also a great addition to the mpc workflow. It would be cool to send midi via usb from the MPC to the op-1 to be able to use it as a midi looper/recorder, but that’s unfortunately not supported (yet).

I know it isn’t velocity sensitive in standalone but is the OP-1 velocity sensitive when used as MIDI controller on MPC Live?

The keyboard has fixed velocity.

I use the OP to feed the MPC, and I run sources through the OP, then out to the MPC, so I can take advantage of the OP-1’s filters and delay and compression.

Zero MIDI use. just an 1/8" out from the OP-1 into the MPC’s 2 1/4" LR ins.

I have a MPC touch and Op1 and they are amazing together. They unlock alot of functionality in each other. Having access to 128 tracks, post production, resampling, velocity pads, time stretching/warping, the cross pollination yields some serious power. I usually start ideas on OP while out in the world. Come home, play them track by track into the MPC then I’m off to the races. Also the sampling on most MPC’s are gonna be 10x better and more robust than an OP1. Chopping sound waves with your finger instead of the encoders is a godsend.

i’m not at all trying to start some shit just ramblin’

but i really don’t get the appeal of the touchscreen.
guarantee a lot of these touchscreen things are gunna be in the landfill in the next 5-10 years
for whatever reason. cracked screens, wonky touch sensors, etc.
my mpc2000xl will prolly still be going strong, pumping out the jams. and its already like 30 years old.
shrug

i think ur probly right doc that’s one of the reasons I got the op1 in the first place. but having both does sound like a lot of fun sheesh.

I’m on the same boat with the Live. Been thinking about getting one recently. I’d love to toy with it as I learned beatmaking on the 1K and can’t be bothered with the DT anymore… but the touchscreen isn’t really appealing and then I find it big, and battery time isn’t great compared with the OP and blablabla.

Put everything away for a couple days, get back on the OP, find a new live tape trick and I’m in love all over again.

I guess I’ll just stick with the op then.

The MPC Live is a great piece of hardware, and the touchscreen on it is great. Makes quick trim adjustments to samples a dream. Don’t just sit there and say, “ahhhh, I probably wouldn’t have liked it, anyway!” That’s a child’s game!! LOL.

Get one and try it for a week or two. Send it back if you don’t think it’s good.

I own both and like the OP-1 for it’s portability but find that the Live fits my workflow better. I do a lot of sampling, will build a track over a period of weeks and, do a lot of tweaking and rearranging of parts which for me is not a viable workflow with the OP-1. MPC is basically for me a daw replacement I’m deeply enamoured with it but wish it was less cumbersome and faster for improvisational play. OP-1 is really fast and inspiring but I find it’s limitations frustrating.