Anybody using a projector with the op-z app?

I’m in need for some shopping advice: So it’s almost 2021 and we can finally sequence videos on the op-z photomatic (yei!). I have a portable projector with hdmi input and since my old Samsung A5 phone doesn’t output hdmi, I am looking for a new device that does, and also works reliably with the op-z via bluetooth (also a current issue I face). My main requirement is to have an hdmi cable connected to the projector, instead of dealing with unreliable and delayed screencast via wifi, etc. I would prefer an Android device, but if Apple is the way to go, so be it. I guess I would prefer a small tablet form factor. Does anybody have affordable recommendations (used or new), where I don’t have to deal with too many adapters/converters etc? Thanks guys!

1 Like

Really interested in this subject, especially interested in reading about or seeing anyone’s working OP-Z to projector setup…

1 Like

On IOS you need an adapter with HDMI (i highly recommend the original adapters). Or a device that is Airplay capable for wireless (e.g. Apple TV where you can plug an HDMI device).
Then just use screen mirroring in the ios settings/controls.
So for use with a projector you need a projector with HDMI or Airplay.

I have an AppleTV 2, so you don`t need the newest hardware…just look, that the device is capable for the newest ios version.

1 Like

Thanks! Are you using the Apple tv 2 with the op-z app and a projector already? Is there a lag? On my weakish Android phone the app already struggles with photomatic videos just by itself, so I will need a new device anyway. But in my youtube research I also see lag issues with the airplay and the original apple hdmi connector… seems to depend also on the receiving device. All OP-Z videos I find show tablets/phones only, I am yet to see a working example with a projector or tv… I’d like to get some assurance this works ok before going the pricey apple route :wink:

Hi, I use the OP-Z with the iPad and an Apple HDMI/Power adapter to a projector, pretty simple setup. Then the OP-Z is synced to Ableton Live via USB. No sync issues ever, sometimes the App freezes with earlier versions but with latest the performance have been rock solid on 2 hours performance for example. I’ll suggest and iOS device as in my case there’s a lot more Synth Apps, Sequencer Apps or any other music creation tools that in Android simply did not exist. Cheers.

1 Like

Thanks benton! Which ipad version are you using and is it handling photomatic videos just fine? I am thinking about an ipad mini 5.

I have an iPad 6th Gen, but iPad Mini is a good idea too. Photomatic Videos are a new feature I haven’t tested yet, but I will. Let me know if you need any help with your setup and share some pictures / videos! Keep up making music.

1 Like

Constantly using it with my BenQ W1080ST
Works :ok_hand: smoothly through airplay on apple tv

https://www.instagram.com/tv/BxkavBVHirB/?igshid=ywof8sgdkkyf

1 Like

pro tip: if you look out for the Apple TV 2 Rev. 2! you can establish a peer to peer connection from iOS to Apple TV without any WiFi hotspot involved.

autark

1 Like

In the meantime I got the ipad mini and use it with a cheapo battery powered mobile projector, which acts as a hotspot and receives airplay directly. Fun stuff!

1 Like

link pleaze

1 Like