Battle 080 - the suggestive battle

Hi all,

Reflecting on myself having been too rigid & “rule-bound” when i’ve made other Battle briefs in the past, i’m proposing merely 1 rule and 7 suggestions instead…

Rule 1: other than a trim/fade in on the front, normalizing, and a trim/fade out on the end, no post processing please - compose, mix, and master in the OP-1!

Suggestion 1: how about a downtempo feel: 80 +/- 8 for your BPM? OR go fast with a multiple of 80bpm (1.5x =120, 2x =160, etc.)

Suggestion 2: take some inspiration from your favorite tune from 1980 - chords, synth sounds, groove…

Suggestion 3: must use your least favorite patch from your least favorite synth engine

Suggestion 4: use the Pattern sequencer on at least on track (synth or drums)

Suggestion 5: use one external piece of gear/instrument into the OP-1: synth, guitar, controlled by OP-1 MIDI/clock or live play, your choice!

Suggestion 6: don’t take yourself too damn seriously!

Suggestion 7: have fun!!! The OP-1 is your oyster!

Deadline is Sunday April 24, 11:59pm EDT (US Eastern Daylight Time)

Have fun, go forth and create…

psound74

6 Likes

Nice set of rules/suggestions! Could a forum admin make this a sticky post?

1 Like

Done.

@psound74 May I suggest that you make both suggestions 6 and 7 mandatory? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

let me explain by first saying, I don’t really know.

here is one suggestion.

2 Likes

suggestion 2.

thanks for TPUWATY

2 Likes

This is a great Battle brief. I love it. Gonna get started RIGHT NOW.

1 Like

A friend of mine from Benin sent me a recording of him doing a “slam”. He asked me to put a beat under it. I thought it would make a nice entry for this battle.

Started out with recording the voice recording from my phone into the OP-1. Compressed it twice with punch and drive. Went for a multiple of 80 (160bpm) and added the drum part. Reused a guitar sample and made a small melody/riff with two of my least favorite synth engines; iter and pulse. Normalised in audacity. And as always I enjoyed the quick and spontaneous process.

2 Likes

I just wanna post that I love these battles. I’m excited to make a new track

2 Likes

tryn’a go back to the 80s. recalling a lot, remembering a little bit.

3 Likes

Hey, Really cool track!

Made a kinda haunting track.

2 Likes

Made a banger I like to call, Elmo Counts to Seis

2 Likes

amusement standing still.

2 Likes

Hi all,
No voting on it but here’s my entry on the way back Upstate; all parts done on the train and hopped on my cell phone hotspot to upload!

#onthego #onthetrain #allonthetrain #earthday2022 #op-forums.com #battles #battle80 #battle080 #OP-Z #teenageengineering #88bpm

Enjoy!
psound74

Note: We had a bad storm and are without power Upstate, so i will not be able to respond until Tuesday…i will extend the deadline until Tuesday at 12:00 noon EDT!

Voting thread is up!

Go forth and vote!!!
psound74