Battle 33 - Outer Space and Out of Time

That’s it @opie_miller :slight_smile:

Ah, this is perfect. I have a super nifty six LP set of Nasa stuff from Time Life that I found at a record store a couple weeks ago that I have been DYING to sample.

Here’s an entry from me.

Space Cadet by - yoof - | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I tried to be as wonky as I could with the time signatures (mostly 7/8 and 15/16) which was lots of fun. I over-listened to it while making it to the point that I’ve no idea what it sounds like now :slight_smile:

VERY nice use of the voices @yoof !!

Damn, you manage to get Kennedy say something fun ! I had thrown away the idea to use it…
Plus the insane 3 2 2 5 4 serie had already brought me into a very good mood :smiley:

I found the track a bit long, but 6’ (even minus 6’’) is so OP-1 !
:wink:

Haha, thanks for the kind words @LyingDalai. And fair comment about it being too long… I just get obsessed with filling all the tape up :slight_smile:

@yoof Very nice entry! I am unable to produce something “unstructured” as you did ( I am not saying your track lacks structure, I am sure you get the idea).

I love the countdown too :slight_smile:

Loving that @yoof it’s solid!
The breakdown/slowdown after the JFK snippet is awesome!

Cheers guys! Yeah, I went totally overboard with that slowing down section… I think that tiny section took me four 40m train journeys - arduous stuff, but I love getting lost in the tiny details. It feels like madness when you’re doing them, but brings a smile to your face when you listen back.

@yoof That’s right !

But somehow I found that refining stuff is not what the OP-1 is good for :slight_smile:
This asks commitment, repetition, concentration…
But it’s right that I found myself lost in details many times, like “huh ? night is already down ?”

@Eti, I’ll deliver you a very useful trick for making it easier to create uncommon-bars patterns…
First, choose drums, and select the pattern sequencer.
Place a basic pattern.
Then place a back and forth playing.
Use the white encoder to get a count that suits you best.

Try to get some groove out of it, adding/moving/deleting stuff.
Try it with other kits, different pitch, etc.
It will grow on you, and then you’ll get confident enough to try it with the melodical part :wink:
You can then refine this by entering your uncommon structure in endless or, better, finger seq, so that you can play polyrhythmic crazy chainings of pattern.

I find it VERY funny, a few hours on such project, and 13/4 or 7/4 feel almost natural… I mean, I found myself SINGING a 7/4 melody I’d been working on for hours : quite weird !

@LyindDalai I will try to do this tonight. I am still quite new to the op1, I am always searching for new ways to play with it. I may have watched EVERY tutorial on youtube but I want more so thank you!

I really love your track @yoof ! Nice work !

i’ve got a question about the rythm. For 15/16 or 7/8 I think i’ve understood, but how do you manage to make 7/4 or 13/4 ??

Hey @quarantequatre, for 7/4 or 13/4, I would use endless set to 1/4 and plug in a sequence of length 7 or 13.

The tricky thing is then when your phrase ends halfway between tape markers :wink:

Or you use 2 finger sequencers with Fill In :slight_smile:

No one said 13/4 should be easy ^^

The trick I described just before can be used for 7/4 (pattern sequencer back & forth + reduce the grid a little with the white knob)

for a while i have been wondering what it would be like to create tracks that sound identical whether played forward or backward - this is my first attempt at such a track - sample was quindar : sound #2 - i used this a couple different ways plus added some texture from the fm synth - fun rules - it’s in 3/4

https://soundcloud.com/plasticdub/ecapspace

Hi, my first Song on the Op-1. It’s nice to be in the Orbit.

https://soundcloud.com/neeneneee/battle33

Hi, here’s mine. It’s in 11/8, Endless Seq was really useful on this one!

https://soundcloud.com/adrigax/life-on-the-moon

Nice tracks guys. Here’s my effort. Used a lot of D-synth and live tweaking. I think this synth was by far the best for this job. Used al lot of the tips posted here regarding playing with the stereo image. Took two samples from the Nasa archive. I created sort of a S&H effect. Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/marijn-uilenbroek/oospace
Here's an entry from me.

https://soundcloud.com/yoof-1/space-cadet

I tried to be as wonky as I could with the time signatures (mostly 7/8 and 15/16) which was lots of fun. I over-listened to it while making it to the point that I've no idea what it sounds like now :)

What’s the synth engine/sample that you’re using at about 30 seconds? It sounds awesome.

Ah cheers fella… I saw your soundcloud comment and had a look on my op-1 last night to see if I could work it out… unfortunately, I used so many custom presets on that track, that particular one seems to have been lost forever. Listening to it again though, my best guess would be Digital, because I can hear some of that crunch you get by messing with the blue and red params. I think it’s got CWO on it. Normally, with that sort of patch, I would play it on both the L and R channels, but I think this time I played it right down the center as I already had loads of stuff going on in the stereo field.