Battle 33 voting!

Kosmonaut Bill - I love all the warpy stuff, I’m such a sucker for that :slight_smile: I love all the background samples too… you’ve done it in a way that the samples keep varying in placement so it doesn’t sound repetitive. Some nice melodies and chorus treatment too.

Overseas Territory - I have a feeling that somebody else mentioned The Orb… Definitely a lovely abstract and Orb-like quality!

Platicdub - Great idea. I attempted a palindrome in an earlier battle too, we should definitely explore that some more in future battles!

neeneneee - loved the use of CWO to help provide a trippy start. The track had a dizzying polyrhthmic feel to it. Good stuff.

adrigax - I love this one! Big Bowie fan here so I really appreciated the melody. Moves into totally experimental territory too. Plus, I love the parting sample :slight_smile:

Marijn - love all the stuff that’s going on in the background in this track. It really ebbs and flows… and a gradual warmth takes over it. Very nice!

Lying Dalai - Really great entry. Loved the ambient start. Really amazing drum programming - a man after my own heart. There are loads of interesting rhythms going on and lots of contrasts between different styles of drums. And I love how you allow the drums to occasionally get all lofi and crunchy. Lovin the heavy bass too. Totally mad and wild!

David Nordlundh - Eerie stuff indeed, full of tension. Quite freeform style - I like it :slight_smile:

TOMAVATARS - A treat for the ears. Loads of nice patches, different frequencies, stereo madness, a real off-kilter track. Loved the attention to detail :slight_smile:

@aeoner - I really liked that flutey lead in your track. Also loved the all the panning treatment!

spacetravelmadeeasy - I really loved how the different sounds had their own space to breathe in the mix. Nice patches all round. A kind of incunabula-style bass and x-files style lead and hats which had their own space too. Nicely done.

@kln - Your programming totally rocks fella… always a treat listening to your tunes. So much attention to detail. I feel we have similar approaches, but distinct styles :slight_smile: Big favourite for me in this battle… krank it up, sit back and enjoy!!

@Lymtronics - good to have you back, man. I loved those arpeggiated flourishes that come here and there. Some filthy bass too! I always expect a certain edge from your tracks and you never fail to deliver. Haha, I’m not sure I can tell the bit where you blundered. Must have made a good recovery :slight_smile: Awesome stuff as always!

@brunogola - hey, loads of great stereo work here and I really love the way the tension builds throughout the track.

I was really torn between Lying Dalai, kln and Lymtronics - three great tracks. But my vote goes to Lymtronics whose ideas seem to trap me like a bear to marmalade every time.

Any other votes to come in? Should we wrap up?

@yoof - i’m ready for what comes next. (and thanks for the commentary. your sentiment is reciprocated on all counts).

from what i can see it looks like @lymtronics has pulled ahead, after the score was tied most of the day.

let’s get some new rules and b34 up and running now. can’t wait to see what’s next, especially since my OP-1 is fully operational now.

Cool cool, let’s freeze it now since we have a clear winner! Congrats @Lymtronics!

Congrats @Lymtronics !

:slight_smile:

:slight_smile: congrats dude!

Congrats @Lymtronics and everybody else :slight_smile:

Thank you also @plasticdub @spacetravelmadeasy @Lymtronics and @yoof for the comments.
By the way, @yoof I voted for you :slight_smile:
I have no vote but the game was fun :slight_smile:

Oh no! @yoof took the win away from himself by extending the voting deadline. Shame… Thanks to the people who voted for me!

I dont think you can really hear it in my track, but I used a sort of wave sequencing technique on some of the sounds I used. What I did was set loops on the nasa sounds in the drum sampler tuned to the same pitch and then used the endless sequencer to sustain different segments for different lengths- sometimes with multiple samples overlapping- and then played the keyboard to produce melodies that would cycle through these different waves. It was a little rough because even if I played legato, it would sometimes take a second for the note to change (if that sample was sustained in the endless sequence for more than one step). It was actually the sloppy play style of using the endless sequencer melodically that led me to this technique- inspired by the duophonic nature of the Arp Odyssey I recently got and the duo mode on the sub 37 it caused me to explore more. It’s cool trying to play more than two notes at a time on these duophonic keyboards or arpeggiation chords or whatever. The two voices share envelope and filter settings, but sometimes you can make the filters gurgle pleasantly when it tracks the keyboard position while one of the two notes is sustained. Hard to describe, but a lot of fun in practice. I think the wave sequencing thing in my track is hard to hear because the ‘Waves’ I chose were fairly similar sounding, but maybe it’s something people will find useful.

usual suspects, goddamnit… Congrats, @Lymtronics :slight_smile: Cool to see also new(er) names with chops to challenge the OG’s of this forum – looking at you, @LyingDalai & @adrigax :slight_smile:

Heh. Love these threads. Looking forward to the next one.

Thanks guys for your comments !

One day I’ll give my own brief !!
:smiley:

But so far I’m happy with finishing tracks…
This battle was really cool, next one is going to be better still !!

It was an honour to do battle with you all!

I’m really stoked that everyone enjoyed this battle. Very impressed with all the entries, and congrats to @Lymtronics for the last minute upset!

I look forward to participating in the next one.