Battle 38 - Stereo Pancake

@xaxahuglife to me it sounded like your vocal sample was out of time and repeated too much.
MHO but also you didn’t say if this was a battle entry.
Having said that - Welcome to the Forum. :slight_smile:

@xaxahuglife sorry about the harsh reply, I'd just walked out of a pub, was a bit squiffy and that was my initial knee-jerk response.

Don't mean to dash your enthusiasm. Keep it up.

@Spheric_El This is a very nice attitude my dear.

Yet I feel like Xavier deserved some kind of special treatment for his spammy attitude : thank you for having been the (still extremely gentle) bully :wink:

Now to get back to the topic, there was some activity on Atom™ bandcamp lately, it seams a former release have been remastered.

@Spheric_El no worries mate, didn’t even read your comment until right this moment so I can’t say you discouraged me or remotely deterred me in the most minuscule from making music lol I understand, I appreciate all feedback as long as you can explain to me why and how.
@LyingDalai hmm and well considering my first ever post on this site was actual music and an extended offer for collaboration and not a leech begging for how to secrets, or snobby echelon knowledge mumbo-jumbo, think I did pretty well for myself thankyou :smiley:

@xaxahuglife No real harm intended, but you posted your video on several places included this thread where it as nothing to do.
I see it like arriving in a bar, sitting to a table full of strangers... Then cut the current conversation to talk about yourself.
Totally rude, IMO.

The subject of this thread is explained in @motone's first post. You may read it, then enjoy contributing, no pb.
Now let's go back to hard panning.
:)

Well… It’s stuck in my head !
@motone, when you said “Hard left and right panning”, this means only 100% left or 100% right ?
Or maybe it could be 75% left 25% and over and over ?

Yes, it’s 100% hard left/right.

But you might refer to the artistic freedom exception… :wink:

Hehe, thank you for the answer :slight_smile:
I really donno, never tried to make a hard 100% panning track.
I saw the artistic freedom exception, but then we can do what we want ^^
However, I’m gonna try to make something hard panned :stuck_out_tongue:

@quarantequatre You can get very happy results while experimenting with recording hard panned

I used this on an old track of mine :

drums :
2 different patterns played by exactly the same Pocket Operator with the same Sound on each channel.
I just used the filters and FX to add some variations to each pattern.

bass :
exactly the same melodic line but with one effect (like CWO for instance) with subtle change in the configuration.
This thicken the sound and you get something really wide opened.

It seems the OP-1 was conceived for this ^^
Very smart Battle @monotone :wink:

Wow, never thought I’d struggle with this one, but it has me a little bit stumped! Had lots of fun playing around with different ideas, but nothing solid to submit yet. Anyways, just thought I’d offer a tip for anybody who feels they’re earning for a bit of the “middle” ground. Might seem obvious, but try adding some chords (with the same patch) where some of the chord’s notes are on the left channel and the others are on the right - it’s a lovely effect and tricks the mind in thinking something is playing down the centre.

Really nice idea! :smiley:

I think I will participate!

http://soundcloud.com/sjgambler/immutable-grandure

Everything is 100% panned, but I added a lot of reverb, which carries some of the sound to the opposite channel. Yes, hacking the rules.

After the melody was done I tried adding a choral track using dozens of overdubs of my voice. Sonically it works out, but a) it was very time-consuming b) it was difficult to get the timing right c) couldn’t quite think of the lyrics that would fit the mood of the melody - which started as ambient improv. Uh-huh, I started with ambient electronic improvisation that wasn’t even intended for the battle and ended up with faux-orchestral faux-soundtrack that somehow reminds me of movies from the 50s. Hm.

Gambler! I love the sound of this. Is that a shruthi or ambika? Sounds like that mutable hybrid wavetable loveliness.

Very cool @Gambler! The reverb on the master allows the sound to bleed nicely into the other channel. And I loved the orchestral sound to the whole thing. Very nice indeed!

@motone love the challenge. What about external effects?

@Aahz Just fine. :slight_smile:

@ Gambler

LIKE. You scoring any pictures soon?

Thank you for you kind words, everyone.

Seriously, though, I am planning to write a soundtrack for an indie game someday. Even if I have to develop the darn thing myself.

https://soundcloud.com/the-grateful-nerd/ztr

So here’s mine. I wanted to work on it a little more but I won’t have time before the deadline. Great challenge though, gave me lots of ideas. The tape is filled with like four other sketches I haven’t had a chance to develop. I really liked taking a drum beat and than splitting it into two patterns and putting them on separate channels, maybe not revolutionary but I don’t usually split the channels so extreme. Like having a double kick, one in each ear, gives a really nice bounce to things. Anyhow, no drums here :slight_smile: Cheers

Warm Wash by Nefilin | Free Listening on SoundCloud