Battle 53 - DGROOVE - voting thread

Battle 53 is officially closed for business! Fantastic sounds from everyone. We all have a hard decision to make. 10 tracks from 10 different producers, collected for your convenience in this handy-dandy playlist:

https://soundcloud.com/noahmuth/sets/operator1-battle-53-dgroove

Rules for voting:

- Voting is open to everybody (not just the participants).
- Voting is for a track, not a person.
- Each forum member gets a single vote (except me).
- Voting will close on Friday, March 7.

Go forth and exercise democracy!

my vote goes to - Servando - TheGratefulNerd - Dsi

I like the overall sound of this tune and has a nice build up!

My vote goes to “running late” by Sebastian Crane. clean sound design & mix + I really like the “tomy” chords in the beginning.

Thanks timebandit78 :slight_smile:

Which is the best track?
That’s so hard!
Battles are such a good example how Op-1 limits of doing everything (oxymoron) makes for great (Op-1) music.
I love this shit.
But it’s like deciding who is the most beautiful human on Earth. Occasionally the answer is easier, but rare.
This battle is full of lovely music.
Can’t decided right now…

My vote goes to "running late" by Sebastian Crane. clean sound design & mix + I really like the "tomy" chords in the beginning.
Thanks timebandit78 :)

Thanks man :slight_smile:

I agree with Speric_El
Tough choice indeed.

The one that stands out to me most is Low Light Peach by Matehelev: really amazing melodic structure and harmonies. Great vibe overall, I’ve listened to it a couple of times now. So my vote goes to that song.

Kudos to Elvish Pretzely for fulling embracing the get crazy aspect of the challenge. I also really enjoyed the tracks by mathelev, dinraum, and Sebastian Crane.

My vote goes to The Grateful Nerd - Dsi. The composition just flowed for me and the subtle effects thrown in added to the song without being distracting. Well done.

I vote for Low Light Peach.

Assuming that the voting actually closes Friday, April 6?

Listened through them all a few times, there are some really excellent tracks! My vote goes to mathelev - Low Light Peach.

My vote goes to The Grateful Nerd - Dsi, with an honorable mention to mathelev - Low Light Peach

I'm voting for "What Is This Place" - @LudicrouSpeed -Totally different style of music (how I like,as in new) and as the brief was go crazy this is the tipping point for my vote. Well done fellow!! That distortion, how do'ya do that, was it OP-1? Its blasting my head off right now in the library coz I can't
find the volume on this PC headphone out lol . So nice that track.
@GLXYBOY gets us started nicely with this heavy hitter of bolshy perc and industry synths - This is a real grower with repeated listens.
The Grateful Nerds track has nice subtleties on the rhythms swing via M1/M2. This track fits both the head and the feet. Very strong.
@Gambler nicely played track with its simplicity.Theme-ic.
@Timebandit78 love that beat. The samples work so well over layed too.
Low Light Peach - some more sublime music taking place right here. Can see this one clocking votes and deservedly so.
@dinraum Another great track.It was at this point I started having real difficulty choosing a number 1. A true floater with lovely sounds and abstract pace.
@masamarysson - What a happy track ,in a style we all love - OP-1 style! It arrives ,hits ,then leaves us with a warm after glow.
@johnnymms A lovely little space .Digging the odd bass digi blips too.
And finally we hit the night club with @SebastianCrane - Nicely arranged on OP-1 actually and love the sounds and sequence patterns used.

Well done folks - an inspiring listen.

BTW @Gambler I like your late entry with the excellent tips hack for monster mono synth via Dbox.

Yes to master tuning for drums on an update- This’d all be good for drum sampler too.

I loved how some of these songs managed to make very enjoyable sounds out of the Ds. The Grateful Nerd, very chill! mathelev, so melancholic! masamarysson, what a happy track!

However, my vote will go to Elvish Pretzley, who I feel embraced the challenge best. He didn’t try to hide the craziness of the Ds, he used them to the fullest, and took me in a schizophrenic industrial journey.

I also tried to make a track, but the Ds defeated me. So congratulations to y’all who managed to tame them!

Thank @gomeka and @Spheric_El !

To answer your question @Spheric_El yeah, it’s all 100% internal OP-1 from the D’s… a lot of resampling via drum and synth sampler to tape to album, etc… I had my master drive set to 99, with release at 8… Completely ignored the LEDs which were clipping almost the entire track, also boosted the samplers to max gain on individual samples, and clipped the tape input. Just clipped everything, haha! It was challenging trying to squeeze more punch out of the limited headroom… It gets to the point where it turns to mush, so I was surprised that I could get those big 808 sounding subs to be so punchy around the middle of the song, haha.

Tiny bit of spring on the master for a bit of auto stereo… One nice sound I found was simply value free lfo on blue filter effect. Think set to AP, but anything can work. Nice auto wah type thing.

A lot of this battle for me was trying somwthing, and then getting to the point where I thought it was dumb, and leaving it till later, and then forcing myself to continue with it… Kept resampling almost every successive but is based around resampling something I liked from the previous section …

Was fun… I was planning on paying more going over the whole thing with some melodic content, but then I realised it was finished already, and sort of based on an offensive distorted single note pulse, haha.

Thanks for your interest.

My choice: Low Light Peach. It’s like end credits song to something. Some recognizable OP-1 features in the track, but also a lot of fresh sounds. Low-fi, but at the same time clean. I like the mood of the piece.

Honorable mentions. ieayaioi hrmtrncmng. Nice sounds. Very clean, especially for DSynth. I know they can make clean sounds, but they’re hard to program, especially if you want multiple of them compose nicely together.

fifteetree. Wow, is this really 100% D-sounds? In that case - very nice synthesis.

Dsi. Nice texture.

WHΛT IS THIS PLΛCΞ or のびスワ. There are parts of the track that are absolutely awesome. (E.g. 1:46.) I would probably give it the first place if it was a bit more structured as a whole. Maybe make a full hard-techno track wit the sound from that section? That would be really cool.

Thankyou @gambler! I’m stoked that you enjoyed it so much. The free form structure was intentional, but I can totally see it detracting from the appeal for you :stuck_out_tongue:

I like that idea of a remix. Would it be hard-texhno? I’m not so savvy on these sub-genres, haha. I probably won’t get around it, but you’re more than welcome to re-work it if you like <3

Very hard to decide. I think I vote for @Elvish Pretzely „WHΛT IS THIS PLΛCΞ„ because it is so different and breaks out of the standards. But also most of the other tracks are interesting. Personally I first thought to drop my participation because I really disliked the D-Synthenginges before. But then decided to give them a try and it was really a discovery for me, that they are so powerful and just need a very tiny amount of adjusting to get some interesting and musically useful sounds with less amount of noisy parts.

Very hard to decide. I think I vote for @Elvish Pretzely „WHΛT IS THIS PLΛCΞ„ because it is so different and breaks out of the standards. But also most of the other tracks are interesting. Personally I first thought to drop my participation because I really disliked the D-Synthenginges before. But then decided to give them a try and it was really a discovery for me, that they are so powerful and just need a very tiny amount of adjusting to get some interesting and musically useful sounds with less amount of noisy parts.

Thankyou!

I’m really stoked on the outcome of this track. I think it’s my best work on the OP-1 to date, and it was pretty scary and unsettling to make… ie. I found the textures confronting, and abusive to my delicate sensibilities, but I am getting more and more into sounds that are more abstract, and noisy… Trying to bring all this into some kind of cohesive direction with the trunk of my music, and the other branches…

Also, just due to the committed nature of working on the OP-1 tape, I was forced to visualize the outcome of certain elements before they were materialized, and other times, to work with some weird experimental section, by adding bits and pieces… Never really worked with tempo changes so much, but the previous battle with no bar markers has prepared me for that.

Now I need to properly listen to all the tracks myself, and make a vote… It’s just hard being on a ship at the moment. Internet is sporadic… ie. Posting text is easy, but streaming is really tough.

wow! This was fun to listen through! It’s saturday morning so to late to vote, but I don’t think I would have been able to choose easily. Maybe would have gone for @Elvish WHΛT IS THIS PLΛCΞ Nice distortions and really playful fitting the challenge!
Thank you all ! This was fun!

When does/did voting close? The post made on 27 Mar says voting ends Friday 7 Mar.