Battle 60 — REHASH / REMATCH

got an old ditty you really liked?
or an old project that just didn’t turn out the way you wanted?

Revisit like the oldest musical thing of yours that you can find. Keep these in mind:

• dig deep! i know I can find >5year old original stuff no sweat, maybe >10 if i really tried. how long have you been making music?
  • old is gold! maybe the older things aren’t necessarily your favorite; if it’s not really your vibe anymore, perfect chance to change it up!
  • transform! use your new skills, new styles, new gear, whatever. see how far you can take it while still keeping the spirit of the original!
  • contemplate! tell us a bit about the context, and how you went about revisiting it. ideally you can also somehow share the original source/idea, so we can hear the comparison/contrast

no strict rules here this time

When voting comes around, let’s not just consider the final work, but also factor in the journey—i bet we can see some wild transitions…

deadline sunday apr 14 I guess?

3 Likes

All arranged in the OP-1, right?

Yeah, arranged in OP-1, recorded to album. No restrictions on source material, of course.

And let’s say you’re allowed to do minor touchups post-OP1 (I like being able to throw a little EQ on if I happened to mess up the balance, so go ahead if you want)

Love this idea. I was actually just thinking about this idea the other day too, so it was meant to be. Looking forward to it!

Dude, you have no idea what kinds of horrors you’ve just unsealed upon SoundCloud and this forum. :slight_smile: I’ve been forever waiting for an excuse resurrect some abomination from the graveyard of my failed musical experiments. Now I have a perfect excuse: beefinator made me do it.

1 Like

I’ll really try to do this one. It sounds like a ton of fun!

Good idea for a battle! I’m going to begin digging…

I’ve pulled out some old samples that I tried flipping here and there, and on a track that I would never have actually publicly claimed…

…until now, when I put it all out there, in plain sight.

you feel?

1 Like

About 20 years ago, or more, I discovered Modplug Tracker (now OpenMPT) and I made some music despite not really understanding anything about melody or harmony. Mostly I just ripped interesting-sounding samples from other tunes and set them to weird drum beats. One of the first tunes I made was a miserable-sounding piece named “Melancholy”.

20 years later, here’s a response named “No Longer Melloncollie”. I reused the chord progression and the piano melody, but added some words, a more positive vibe, and of course a load of OP-1 synth sounds. You can hear a snippet of the original MOD at the start too.

100% certified OP-1 sounds, apart from the vocals and guitar which were of course recorded thru the OP-1 mic (you can probably tell)

If you’re super curious, you can hear the original in all its glory here: https://soundcloud.com/monk-e-hatte/melancholy-1999

so we have 2 entries so far (but more giving interest), and I haven’t gotten around to making something myself also, let’s extend the deadline a week?

I have something. Should be ready sometime tomorrow.

Meh, this is not how I wanted it to end up, but this take is all I have energy for today.

This is made from a chopped-up guitar track I recorded zillion years ago.

Hello! Grateful for the extra time, this is what i have energy to throw in, enjoyed playing the dbox at the end there…from ancient songwriting past (high school when i thought it was so amazing to have a Casio ToneBank keyboard - with MIDI, a Yamaha TQ-5 MIDI module, and a Yamaha MT-100 4-track…wish i still had those tapes!) This was fun!

cheers & have a good Passover/Easter/Earth Day!
psound74

I will hopefully have something by tomorrow

This was an old sample I chopped and never did anything with. New everything else.

ok nice to see some more!
im lame and didn’t end up having/taking the chance to make something…
voting thread in a moment
unless anyone wants a bit more extra?