Battle #62 - No Drums

I was thinking about this time of year and how busy everybody seems to be during these summer months. The battle I posted yesterday may be a little bit daunting for some of us that don’t have as much time as we’d like to work on music, so I am altering the battle in favor of something a little less time consuming. Let’s focus on melody right now, and forget drums. I’ve been wanting to do something like this for a while. NO DRUMS. If you absolutely HAVE to have some sort of rhythm, use very light percussion or something, but keep it to a min. This frees up all four tape tracks for melodies and harmonies! You should also use your voice in some way on the track. It can be recorded in, mangled and unrecognizable or a subtle hum or whistle or whatever. Just use your voice in at least one small way. Upload to soundcloud and provide the link to enter. Let’s set the deadline for Sunday, August 12th at midnight!

1 Like

Nice. Like a score.
Will give this a try.

whoops. I made a track based on the first rules, NO STOCK.

I’ll edit the post if it’s no longer valid.

1 Like

Hi @kln! So sorry about that my friend. I tried to change it quickly before anyone noticed or made anything, but you beat me to it! I say it’s still valid.

Great track by the way. Loving the mix of instruments and ironically, i love the drums! Haha

@KOHLBERG - funny, I noticed because you had pulled out one of my old battle ideas and had tagged me…so I got the email notification.

it was cool, since I didn’t really remember the idea, and I kinda just went for it.

and yeah, I loaded up some non-stock drum kits, sampled a couple recent used vinyl acquisitions, and started banging away. it is completely contrary to the actual battle rules you have now. te-he-he!

interested in trying a non-drum track. although, it will be hard to avoid the temptation to use dem drums, after exposure to many more samples on the recent vinyl I’ve copped.

thanks for enjoying the track!

May we use some external FX ?
I’m in love with my Empress Reverb these days, and I feel it could meet some use :wink:

Nice brief @KOHLBERG
I haven’t been around for a while, and my op-1 is taking the dust !
External synth allowed ?

1 Like

I say yes!

1 Like

External synth is allowed!

1 Like

I say no.
You say “stop”.
And I say “go go go” !!

Ahem sorry: thank you dear ! These days I have trouble playing ambiant without my cherished Empress Reverb :smiley:

1 Like

:smile:

I have trouble making more than a 4 bar loop on the OP-1 tbh, organizing anything longer and making it cohesive has been difficult but I felt pretty good about this one.

6 Likes

I will confess I too have no idea what I am doing, I come from a string instrument and no formal anything so yeah. Here’s what I could muster, right off the tape out to the MIC input of my phone. Might be a bit loud, phone amplifies/compresses like crazy but I kinda dig it.

Used a podcast episode I just heard today (The truth “moon graffiti”) to better illustrate what I was going for.

Edit: I am a late join to the forum and like a dumb hasty dumb dumb slammed this with a podcast thing I clearly did not make so obviously my entry is a no go. thanks all for being kind, can’t wait to hear the tracks!!

3 Likes

Rule question: mixing/mastering inside our outside of OP-1?

If one is so inclined, I’m going to allow external mixing/mastering this time around, because of the potentially ambient/abstract nature of a song with no drums. It may help get the mood right? :slight_smile:

Here’s my entry for the battle I can’t avoid to enter :smiley: “Mastered” and recorded only in OP-1.

I’m making an executive decision and extending the deadline a week until Sunday, 8/18 at midnight!

2 Likes

Here is my entry, thanks for extending the deadline!

normalization in Ocenaudio Windows app; all else in the OP-1!

Cheers,
psound74

on a short flight to Maui. made a track for this battle that is more legit to it’s second calling. no drums.