Battle for the Eras - The Voting Thread edition 63

looks like an even score so far, which speaks to the quality of the choices.

voting ends soon!

I vote for @ssam’s eerie horn track.

1 Like

My vote goes to @ssam - fun track, like the chopped quality of the samples & punchiness of guitar & trombone!

Honorable mention for @vehka for their great musique concrete-style schizo robot Bach piece!

Thanks @kln for your sax bit and for running the voting admin in a more timely fashion than me!!!

psound74

2 Likes

@ssam - looks like the torch has been passed.

big ups!

now for some new rules. looking forward to “when I’m 64”.

2 Likes

Congrats @ssam! Thanks @kln and @psound74 for organizing this one!

:partying_face: thanks everyone for this rather exciting battle! Nice entries all round.

I’ll have a think about ideas for a next battle.

Congrats @ssam!

@ssam - are you there?

should we forever keep these battles on?

i dunno. i mean…is def how i learned to use my OP-1. maybe others (me, but mostly I) can benefit still.

battle 64 could be of epic proportions. to someone, somewhere.

not sure what to do with myself after the six-to-the-tres. it was for the eras after all. ha!

i guess i’ll just aimlessly pursue weird sounding stuff until someone provides a set of constraints that exercises my intellect and interest for exploring these endeavors in ways that i hadn’t otherwise considered.

With holidays approaching, that would be cool indeed to launch a new battle.
I will at last have time for my own work :kissing: but I might even have the time to participate to a Battle !!

it’s saucy, but if battle rules have not been reset by 12/24…i am up for a duel. @LyingDalai

(spoken as a fan of your previous work, of course)

1 Like

could it be that 64 is a new kind of battleground. two top operators with nothing to lose, but everything.

with caution others might try to get in on it…

1 Like

@kln that’s a great idea.
(flattering words, especially coming from you, thanks mate)

Still, I sent an email to @ssam, and asked them to drop by today or tomorrow.
I say let two days pass by, and I’ll challenge you, dear!

:gun: :cowboy_hat_face: :microphone:

Sorry all for dropping the ball and losing it under a hedge regarding the next battle.

I have an idea. Let’s see what you think. Although I like the idea of a duel too :slight_smile:

Battle 64 - live looping

Rules:

• Use an external looping device or program of your choice.
  • Set up some cool sounding instruments and effects on your OP-1
  • Play the OP-1 live into the looper to produce your final track.
    • You can prerecord things onto the OP-1 tape, but be creative! The idea is to improvise a bit.
  • Use the element LFO with the microphone input, at least once.
  • Maximum 6 minutes.
  • For bonus points, make a video.

It’s a bit similar to Battle 55 - The Loop, but I think it gives you more potential (depending on your choice of looper) – looping on the OP-1 itself is pretty challenging.

Let me know if you have any comments, if not then i’ll set this officially as the battle, sometime before tomorrow.

I’m cool with that.
64 is an interesting number:

• might sample some Beatles at some point, when (or before) I’m 64…
  • look forward to use the 64 steps of my OT to destroy OP-1 loops
  • might also include some Nintendo64 noises…
  • 64 bytes is 8 bits. See what I mean?
  • what about samples from year 1964 synths, more generally instruments or even songs?
    :thinking:
  • 64 bpm is a thing to consider… Would I play some ambient music?

You might want to include any of these as a rule, if you want :wink:

Thanks for the tips! Yeah I like the sound of that one … sample something from 1964!

1 Like

Battle rules should include everyone who owns an OP1 and not exclude people who lack a certain piece of external gear. Very out of the spirit, if you ask me.

I certainly don’t want to exclude anyone. Any looping software on a laptop/mobile phone/tablet would be fine.

I just find that live looping on the OP1 itself is very fiddly and I wanted to see where we can go beyond that. I was a little inspired by battle 57 too.

use of an external “looper” could be included in your rule set, but maybe not as the foremost rule?

i think there are many ways that live looping can be accomplished on OP-1…

program Endless, Finger, or Pattern and play it live by punching in and recording as you Shift + Arrow thru your track…or as you record to album. a rule could be to dedicate at least 1 (of 4) tracks to be dubbed in by punching in live, or make at least 1 minute of a record to album include live punching in / playback from a programmed / sequenced loop. (maybe a 64-step one)

i don’t have a looper, nor do i have great interest in them. but i’d be down to play sequenced loops in as many ways possible throughout a track directly in OP-1.

also, really liking playing up the 64 thing…of course it’s your battle rules to create…but agree with @Lymtronics that focusing on gear or tools that others may not have isn’t in character with OP-1 battles.

@LyingDalai - i’m still considering a duel mate, watch your back. (evil laugh)

1 Like

Thanks for all the feedback and advice!

The battle is live! Battle 64 - the 64th battle

The duel needs to happen too, so you guys have your work cut out :nerd_face: