Battle for the Eras - The Voting Thread edition 63

All op-forums.com members can vote.

Thanks for all who participated, and sorry for taking too long to put the Voting thread up.

Let’s set the vote for 7 days, so wherever things are at at Oct 27 by end of day will set the fate of the next Era (or battle anyways).

Battle for the Eras - The Voting Thread

@ssam

@vehka

@kln

@psound74

With 50% of the entries being host-provided tracks, one could propose all bets are off, and hosts get a chance to emerge victorious thru user feedback just as much as everybody?

Get on it!

1 Like

also, just to go for it. all these tracks are jammin.

@ssam - this is my vote

real cool layering of samples and sounds.

was a tough decision, with the fluidity and beautiful key blending in the @vehka track, and the funkily modern and eerily late 80’s synth tones coming thru in the uplifter @psound74 put together.

These were all quirky and fun! I’ll do another listen tomorrow before deciding where my vote goes.

Ok after a re-listen, I’ll give my vote to @psound74, such a frantic and condensed synth-pop snippet that put a grin on my face. Also loved @ssam’s piece, great lo-fi band vibe going on there, really dig the moment when the trombone starts playing. Equally enjoyable were the clinical beats of @kln + the sax sample that brought back memories from the Rebirth of Cool acid-jazz era. =)

My votes go to kln

@kln the end of the track is a bit weird, like you let a little bit behind the actual ending :wink:

I liked all the tracks for different reasons. Wish @psound74’s was longer: it was going pretty good, way too short!

I actually liked @vehka’s robot playing Bach, was für eine schöne Musik!
:wink:

@ssam I liked the sound ! Not to fond of the horn though, personal taste really. It’s more about the connotation it brings I guess.

OK, my vote goes to @vehka!

Wish I could have done something, but with moving house I don’t even know in which cardbox my OP-1 is right now!

1 Like

looks like an even score so far, which speaks to the quality of the choices.

voting ends soon!

I vote for @ssam’s eerie horn track.

1 Like

My vote goes to @ssam - fun track, like the chopped quality of the samples & punchiness of guitar & trombone!

Honorable mention for @vehka for their great musique concrete-style schizo robot Bach piece!

Thanks @kln for your sax bit and for running the voting admin in a more timely fashion than me!!!

psound74

2 Likes

@ssam - looks like the torch has been passed.

big ups!

now for some new rules. looking forward to “when I’m 64”.

2 Likes

Congrats @ssam! Thanks @kln and @psound74 for organizing this one!

:partying_face: thanks everyone for this rather exciting battle! Nice entries all round.

I’ll have a think about ideas for a next battle.

Congrats @ssam!

@ssam - are you there?

should we forever keep these battles on?

i dunno. i mean…is def how i learned to use my OP-1. maybe others (me, but mostly I) can benefit still.

battle 64 could be of epic proportions. to someone, somewhere.

not sure what to do with myself after the six-to-the-tres. it was for the eras after all. ha!

i guess i’ll just aimlessly pursue weird sounding stuff until someone provides a set of constraints that exercises my intellect and interest for exploring these endeavors in ways that i hadn’t otherwise considered.

With holidays approaching, that would be cool indeed to launch a new battle.
I will at last have time for my own work :kissing: but I might even have the time to participate to a Battle !!

it’s saucy, but if battle rules have not been reset by 12/24…i am up for a duel. @LyingDalai

(spoken as a fan of your previous work, of course)

1 Like

could it be that 64 is a new kind of battleground. two top operators with nothing to lose, but everything.

with caution others might try to get in on it…

1 Like

@kln that’s a great idea.
(flattering words, especially coming from you, thanks mate)

Still, I sent an email to @ssam, and asked them to drop by today or tomorrow.
I say let two days pass by, and I’ll challenge you, dear!

:gun: :cowboy_hat_face: :microphone:

Sorry all for dropping the ball and losing it under a hedge regarding the next battle.

I have an idea. Let’s see what you think. Although I like the idea of a duel too :slight_smile:

Battle 64 - live looping

Rules:

• Use an external looping device or program of your choice.
  • Set up some cool sounding instruments and effects on your OP-1
  • Play the OP-1 live into the looper to produce your final track.
    • You can prerecord things onto the OP-1 tape, but be creative! The idea is to improvise a bit.
  • Use the element LFO with the microphone input, at least once.
  • Maximum 6 minutes.
  • For bonus points, make a video.

It’s a bit similar to Battle 55 - The Loop, but I think it gives you more potential (depending on your choice of looper) – looping on the OP-1 itself is pretty challenging.

Let me know if you have any comments, if not then i’ll set this officially as the battle, sometime before tomorrow.

I’m cool with that.
64 is an interesting number:

• might sample some Beatles at some point, when (or before) I’m 64…
  • look forward to use the 64 steps of my OT to destroy OP-1 loops
  • might also include some Nintendo64 noises…
  • 64 bytes is 8 bits. See what I mean?
  • what about samples from year 1964 synths, more generally instruments or even songs?
    :thinking:
  • 64 bpm is a thing to consider… Would I play some ambient music?

You might want to include any of these as a rule, if you want :wink: