Beatmaker 3 vid/review

Sh*t... it s only for iPad... :(

My phone’s Android atm so that doesn’t bum me out, but yeah, would have been sweet for iPhone peeps to have this in their pocket and be able to flip projects between phone/ipad. Pretty killer for field recordings stuff on the go…

Dang… Had another half hour on it. killer app. Found the modulation params page (was staring me in the face). Crazy sampling/modulation depth… Can layer samples (with fx and modulation per layer…), play them polyphonically with or without timestrech, modulate ‘pad/slice’ saturation/filter/amp etc with as many lfos/envs as you like (I think…) etc etc…

Funny all the shit I’ve been hoping TE would add to Op1 or Elektron would do in a new sampler or akai with mpc live… Seems like it’s all here in a £20 app :confused: result…

Prob keep Op1 and OT for the things they shine at but if intua go guns blazing with a few updates I might start to question the sense in that… Mpc live just got destroyed :confused: tho it still has the Daw integration and ‘all in one’ thing. Curious to see how BM3 feels with a decent controller setup…

All honeymoon vibes atm tho. Haven’t really dug in to it (scenes/macros/real world timestreching scenarios/clock stability etc). But on the surface it’s looking next level from what I’ve got out of it so far…

I just wish for an app that had all the sampling goodness without all the DAW / sequencer stuff clogging up my storage space. A Yamaha A5000 for the iPad. May get this just for that but a bit pricey.

I just wish for an app that had all the sampling goodness without all the DAW / sequencer stuff clogging up my storage space. A Yamaha A5000 for the iPad. May get this just for that but a bit pricey.

Not familiar with that yamaha box. But BM3’s a pretty small download, think it was like 110mb… Could use it just as a sampler no problem and skip the Daw side of it… The Daw side of things is where ipad is still quite clunky in any case… ‘Plugins’ can be glitchy/slow workflow, arranging songs/sequences on screen can be fiddly… But as a portable scratchpad and sampler BM3 seems way ahead of anything else out there atm… Sure I’ll run in to bugs/vibe killers soon enough tho :wink:

So I can use this just as a sampler and trigger it from my hardware keyboard or sequencer via MIDI?

Haven’t checked any of the midi out at all yet but I’d guess so? Paired with a DT it’d be pretty sweet. Ticks off all the stuff Elektron were too lame to include :wink: Shame only 4 voice poly on the DT sequencer tho, can have 64 voice per sample on BM3…Been messing with some huge pads made from recording mumbles in to ipad mic. Hyped to connect an interface. Pretty nice app for sound design…

Had a quick jam with it, recorded some incoming audio from an internet radio station, sliced it, and started editing the slice parameters. I like the workflow, but didn’t find a way to retain the pad settings when recording new audio on them, which is a workflow I was used to on the Octatrack.

And yeah @ghostly606 you can definitely use it as a sampler, and just trigger it via MIDI.

Can you record Internet radio internally? Or line-in?

Yeah it doesn’t seem like its close to OT for those kind of party tricks… Maybe they’ll add some weirder stuff in updates. Seems like they covered almost everything that could be considered ‘bread and butter’ straight out the gate :wink:

Just saw you can export everything… Not just tracks - you can go as far as exporting each pad… And looks pretty painless…

https://youtu.be/8a8Nvk0FqL4

And yeah @ghostly606 you can definitely use it as a sampler, and just trigger it via MIDI.
Cheers!

@vehka
Hey man, you tried plugins yet? Getting a weird thing with Animoog. In the piano roll I have one row with all notes on it. All other rows are empty. No matter what notes I record, theyre in the same row… Funk box behaves as expected, notes scattered across piano roll. Internal BM3 tracks are normal/fine too. Not sure if it’s user error/bug/some kind of design decision/problem specifically with animoog…

And curious about your Internet radio sampling :wink: is there a way to route radio to BM3 internally? If so… Don’t suppose thats also possible for YouTube?

I used this app to record Internet radio: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ström/id495549899?mt=8. However, it does not have Audiobus, so I had to load it into AUM and use output for Audiobus and Audiobus input on the Beatmaker. Recording plugin inputs is a bit weird, it is done from a separate record button on the plugin settings page.

Didn’t try other plugins yet! But some combo of AUM & Audiobus probably works in most cases.

I used this app to record Internet radio: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ström/id495549899?mt=8. However, it does not have Audiobus, so I had to load it into AUM and use output for Audiobus and Audiobus input on the Beatmaker. Recording plugin inputs is a bit weird, it is done from a separate record button on the plugin settings page.

Didn’t try other plugins yet! But some combo of AUM & Audiobus probably works in most cases.

Thanks man. Cool, I’ll look in to AUM.

Btw @ghostly606 and everybody else still on the fence about BM3 I recommend you check the discussions at audiob.us forum, for example there seems to be some issues with MIDI hardware integration. So perhaps it’s prudent to wait until a bugfix release or two. Or buy it now and sit on it for a while…

Btw @ghostly606 and everybody else still on the fence about BM3 I recommend you check the discussions at audiob.us forum, for example there seems to be some issues with MIDI hardware integration. So perhaps it's prudent to wait until a bugfix release or two. Or buy it now and sit on it for a while...

Cheers for the heads up. Probably worth getting now for the introductory price and then waiting until bug fixes then reinstall. Will give it a ponder.

Had a few hours on BM3 now. Very impressed by what Intua have done on it. 3 years well spent. The sampling/sampler side alone makes it a lot of fun for sound design on the sofa (tons of polyphony, layering, modulation options, timestrech etc etc).

The sequencer is still very much ‘this feels like making music on an ipad’ when editing etc. But after couple hours I got past it and doesn’t feel any more fiddly than sequencing on OP1 now. The ableton ‘scenes’ page is promising once they expand on it a little (already confirmed.)

You can route instrument tracks to audio tracks and use it kinda like an Op1 (minus the tape tricks) multitrack recorder. From what I’ve seen of mpc live, BM3 seems like a very similar OS workflow, but BM3 is more refined/flexible in many ways. More modulation, song arranger, 3rd party instruments and fx etc. Performance Macros are easy/fast to setup and use etc. Editable automation.

It’s definitely not comparable to using an Elektron box/sequencer. But I have AK/OT so a linear sequencer sampler with polyphony is a breath of fresh air and does things that are impossible in Elektron land (and vice versa). Having it in an ipad is next level…

Devs have confirmed a bunch of needed/big features and refinements that are coming in updates that’ll polish workflow etc up.

Haven’t tried any midi stuff, seems a grey area atm (to be dealt with in update) but for now I’m more in to it as a separate sofa jam box than having it work with other gear so not an immediate issue for me. Theres so much depth to explore with modulation/layering etc that for now it’s enough to use it by itself, especially after importing 10gb of samples :wink:

Ipad Mini2 handles it ‘ok’ but I hit cpu limit pretty quick. Tho if I used it with less polyphony and timestrech etc it’d probably cope with the same kind of strains that a korg es2/digitakt/ot etc allow themselves to be put under. I’ll probably upgrade my ipad pretty soon tho and my daughter inherit my old one :wink:

The modulation options are huge and soon to be expanded even further. The step modulator option for example is ideal for wonky BOC pitch stuff. And you have almost unlimited lfo/envs as far as I’m aware.

The built-in FX are useable. 3rd party plugins are an option.

Export options are super flexible and painless.

Long post but hope that initial review helps anyone on the fence about grabbing it before the trial price runs out.

Hey @callofthevoid I really appreciate the detailed review! Will probably grab this, when does the sale end?

Hey @callofthevoid I really appreciate the detailed review! Will probably grab this, when does the sale end?

No problem :slight_smile: Promo price ends sunday I think. £20’s a good deal on this one :wink:

Sweet. Will take it to Spain with me this weekend and give it a spin!

@anfim pretty sure you’ll enjoy it. Some bugs and things to be added but for portable scratchpad/sound design it feels well worth the admission price so far…

Here’s a quick 10 minute jam while I was setting up a project template. Just a kick drum sample and 3 AUX sends (using stock FX) - Was just messing around so the mixing sucks :wink: Bounced straight from BM3 stereo out. And I ticked ‘normalise’ which seems like it killed some dynamics. I’d probably never use BM3 to mix tho, just export stems for daw…

https://soundcloud.com/user-250852736/bm3-kick-aux-jam