Beatmaker 3 vid/review

@Callofthevoid

Have you tried plugging in any controllers to the iPad to control BM3.

I’ve decided to skip BM3, Caustic 3 (which I’d forgotten about as I’d uninstalled ages ago) is fulfilling my polyphonic sample playback needs and I don’t need any of the extra juicy bits that BM3 can give me. Hope I don’t regret it, I am assuming the normal price will be around the £40 mark?

@Callofthevoid

Have you tried plugging in any controllers to the iPad to control BM3.

Nah not yet. Poss grab a Bluetooth controller. Need to research how solid that side of BM3 is before copping one…

I've decided to skip BM3, Caustic 3 (which I'd forgotten about as I'd uninstalled ages ago) is fulfilling my polyphonic sample playback needs and I don't need any of the extra juicy bits that BM3 can give me. Hope I don't regret it, I am assuming the normal price will be around the £40 mark?

Not sure what regular pricing will be. But yeh prob around £40 from looking at other ‘daw’ kind of apps.

From memory Caustic does like 3% of what you can do with sample/sound in BM3, and with a less fluid workflow, but if it works for you then it’s money saved :slight_smile: I’ve been trying to hit that same mentality past few months and it’s saving me £1000’s (that I don’t actually have…) and killing a ton of gas-ache :wink: It’s a good path :slight_smile:

With the new modular rack in Caustic you can do some cool stuff in Caustic these days, and the MIDI implementation is soooooo good. Had a mess about with it and my Digitakt last night and got some cool stuff happening.

With the new modular rack in Caustic you can do some cool stuff in Caustic these days, and the MIDI implementation is soooooo good. Had a mess about with it and my Digitakt last night and got some cool stuff happening.

Sounds interesting :slight_smile:

I was thinking of getting an ipad controller…But then remembered that Kordbot I backed on Kickstarter (which are being built at mo) has plenty of assignable knobs and bluetooth

Haven’t had as much time as I’d have liked on this so far but each time I do I’m pretty blown away. Very fun/fast/deep sampling/sequencing environment. Has a lot of interesting tricks that my op1/OT would kill for…+ on OP1 and OT (and AK) I normally seemed to have ‘ideas’ (bunches of loops/patterns that I’d later take to Daw to flesh out/structure etc) but so far it seems like BM3 spits out ‘ideas>songs’…

• the portability’s on par with op1 but with the benefit of 100gb+ of sample space onboard + a useable speaker…

No one else digging it?

I have it, haven’t used it an awful lot, but what I have seen of it is super impressive. Have an mpd218 on order to complete the experience.

I have it, haven't used it an awful lot, but what I have seen of it is super impressive. Have an mpd218 on order to complete the experience.

Yeah it’s a big step up for ios samplers/daws huh :slight_smile: The layers + modulations + macros + automation makes it crazy how much weird stuff you can do just from one pad…And the ‘linear sequencer + patterns + scenes’ system is super fast for structuring/editing song arrangements and/or jamming patterns…

Hyped for the global macros (quasi-OT scenes :wink: With (editable) automation…This already exists but only per bank atm) and extra modulation destinations (including sample/start/end/loop points window…main thing that I was interested in on DT) that are coming in update.

Looking to grab a controller too (ideally something Bluetooth) and one of those little behringer interfaces…

@Callofthevoid
i grabbed it too for the intro price, still trying to find time to figure out how it works. i can see the modulation page but haven't figured out how to add LFOs and things to the params...

pretty new to iPad stuff and I had just been recording Sunvox and the OP1 into garageband. i love sunvox (works really well with the op-1 since it's basically the exact opposite, extreme control of every conceivable paramater and really difficult to use) but garageband is a fucking pain with all the 2 second animations and "multiple taps to do basic shit" workflow. i was leaning into buying auria but this seemed to do a lot of the same DAW stuff and was much cheaper. hopefully i can figure out a use for it. that track you posted is super promising, i was afraid that it would be difficult to get some abstract sounds out of it.
@Callofthevoid
i grabbed it too for the intro price, still trying to find time to figure out how it works. i can see the modulation page but haven't figured out how to add LFOs and things to the params...

pretty new to iPad stuff and I had just been recording Sunvox and the OP1 into garageband. i love sunvox (works really well with the op-1 since it's basically the exact opposite, extreme control of every conceivable paramater and really difficult to use) but garageband is a fucking pain with all the 2 second animations and "multiple taps to do basic shit" workflow. i was leaning into buying auria but this seemed to do a lot of the same DAW stuff and was much cheaper. hopefully i can figure out a use for it. that track you posted is super promising, i was afraid that it would be difficult to get some abstract sounds out of it.

Atm the only things you can modulate are the parameters on the sample edit page (saturation, pitch, filter params, amp env, pan etc…).

Double press on any of those params and it’ll give you the modulation options - env/lfo/step modulator/random s&h/midi…(Or you can assign multiple params to macro/s, including fx params and automate those).

You can choose from existing lfo/env etc or create a new one/s. All modulations for the sample/layer are on the modulations page with active/bypass control and the currently selected modulation’s parameters are displayed in the window at bottom of screen. You can also modulate the modulations with new envs/lfos etc…This is all per pad, per layer… Insane depth. And updates will mean being able to also do this with fx params (which are available per bank or per pad or per layer) and macros etc.

With all this available + stacking fx as inserts or sends + timestrech it kind of does ‘abstract’ in its sleep :wink: You can turn just one pad in to a huge ambient instrument :wink:

Will be even better for experimental stuff after the updates. The extra mod options etc. And resampling is going to become unrestricted. Currently you cant tweak/play while resampling. Tho there’s pretty easy workaround of routing to an audio track and recording performance resampling that way. Just takes a minute to setup…

I have garage band and hated it too. Didn’t seem anything more than a dull sketch pad and annoyed me after 5 minutes use, havent used it since… BM3 is definitly next level (or last level boss :wink: in comparison…

Grabbed a bargain Akai MPD226 for use with Beatmaker3

Kinda think this is going to be an epic portable combination!

The other day I was playing with the split to 16 pads and had sampled a loop, split to pads and was jamming.
The wife came over and asked what I was doing and I explained it and she asked for a shot.
This NEVER happens! She usually couldn’t care less about my toys (“they all look the same”).
Maybe the fact that it’s on ipad screen makes it look more “fun” ?
I ended up programming a beat for her to jam along to :slight_smile:

Grabbed a bargain Akai MPD226 for use with Beatmaker3
Kinda think this is going to be an epic portable combination!

The other day I was playing with the split to 16 pads and had sampled a loop, split to pads and was jamming.
The wife came over and asked what I was doing and I explained it and she asked for a shot.
This NEVER happens! She usually couldn't care less about my toys ("they all look the same").
Maybe the fact that it's on ipad screen makes it look more "fun" ?
I ended up programming a beat for her to jam along to :)

Akai MPD226 combo should be sweet :slight_smile:

Funny about the spontaneous jam/collab with your wife :slight_smile: Definitely an easy sampler to have fun with!

This all sounds promising. I see the intro price has been extended. Will probably purchase once I get the Kordbot controller as I’ve spent many £££ on apps which i dont use because of the dreaded tappy tappy glass interaction. The Behringer £30 interface looks a relatively cheap way of getting samples into the ipad. What app do you use to record the external samples? Or i guess your using BM3 for this?

Yeah tapping glass is always gonna feel terrible for music :frowning: But starting to feel like half of it’s just psychological, depending on the task and what it’s being compared to. At least in a sofa/transit environment. Definitly would want real keys/buttons on a controller for shows tho :wink: And obvs for playing any intricate keys/pads…

But for example compared to playing a sample melodically on my OT, I prefer BM3 on ipad screen (9.7" or above). By far. For a start it has velocity on the onscreen keyboard…Elektron buttons/ui are pretty lacking when used as a keyboard. + in BM3 I can go further up/down in octaves and have 2 octaves in front of me. Yeah, there no ‘click’ of a physical button, but doesn’t really bother me in comparison to what’s gained…

Yeh, just using BM3 to record in to (when I grab the behringer interface). Trying to limit myself to ‘BM3 only’ as much as possible. I generally begin to wanna smash ipads as soon as I start getting tangled in linking/routing apps and sharing audio between them etc :wink:

@callofthevoid thanks! no idea how i never thought to try double tapping. one other input question for you, have you found any way to trigger different samples with a single key on a pad by chance, kontakt style? i have a 64 bank track loaded up and i’d like to figure out how to randomly trigger one of the 64 from a single button press… probably not possible right now but you seem to be the resident expert

Not sure what you mean? Like round robin/rotate through the sample layers on a pad with each hit?
Don’t think that’s in there yet, can’t think of a feasible workaround atm either… If it’s only on short patterns I guess doing it by hand in piano roll would only take a sec (using separate pads for samples instead of layers).
The part where you say about a 64 bank track, I guess you mean 64 pad bank? If/when round robin is added I’d guess it would probably only be for the 4 available sample layers per pad. Not across pads. Anything’s possible tho :wink:

Maybe I’m totally misunderstanding what you’re looking to do tho?

wow ok i’m actually very close to figuring it out… i have random midi values coming in to bm3 via sunvox. my only issue now is figuring out how i can get bm3 to recognize incoming midi as pad trigs, right now it’s just re pitching the active pad. if i can get this working i will officially be blown away

Let us know if you do, could be a nice trick :slight_smile: Thanks for the heads up on BM3 receiving sunrizer midi (sunrizer arp/sequences yeah?) …I have sunrizer so it sounds like that kind of gives BM3 an arpeggio and kind of Op1 Endless sequencer… Dunno if I’ll have the patience to use it much (hate linking apps on ios except for AUv3…) but will check it out.