Beatmaker 3 vid/review

i totally agree with you on linking apps, switching between windows is just not musically inspiring. half the time i get frustrated and just record the ipad into the op-1, hah.
sunvox and sunriser are two different apps, i think (haven’t heard of sunriser) but yeah the midi in was dead easy to set up.

i went ahead and uploaded a shitty vid of the midi layout but it’s kind of hard to follow. my sliced sample is a foley pack of footsteps (i’m doing foley on a movie right now and am using it as an excuse to learn this app). then i jump into sunvox where i have two metasynths chained. the first one is sending random midi and velocity info to the second one via the keyboard on screen, and the second one is sending the midi out.

works OK except i can only trigger 16 pads at a time without going back into BM3, but it’s enough for now. between this and the modulation stuff it looks like there’s a lot of room for generative music with this combo, excited to try it’s out with something more musical than footsteps…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSbtR_gvI0s&feature=youtu.be

@ypxkap thanks for sharing, very cool :slight_smile: Dunno how I read sunvox as sunrizer… tired :wink: used sunvox very briefly a few years ago. Seemed really powerful but was over my head at the time and I didn’t take the time to figure it out. Will look again at some point…

Checked out the step modulator today. Only had 5 minutes on it (summer holidays atm and my kids are full on ;)… Seems like a pretty legit alternative to P-locks. Can set amount of steps. Rough vs smooth. Poly/mono. Sync options. Free vs chromatic… Unexpected bonus level :wink: Soon as they add the modulation options to fx, macros and AU instruments…Jeeeezus. Potential for some insane project templates/workflows…

Just exported this to add some hardware synths when I get a minute…Needs fading out… and mixing :wink: Bunged it on S/C in case anyone interested to hear stuff while it’s only BM3…

https://soundcloud.com/user-250852736/bm3-expo2

Quick off-grid ambient type jam. One take for the audio (took a few :wink: and one for reverb automation…

Just a short sample recorded from Internet radio (radio is permanently set up as a plugin on a pad = next level…@vehka on the keys screen there’s a dedicated sample record button and can also specify which pad you want to sample to… No need for those external routing steps you took :wink:

No modulation etc, just saturation, timestrech + 3 voice polyphony (for planned voice stealing) + the stock reverb…

5 minutes in the kitchen while the kids were eating lunch. Definitely getting Op1 portability/workflow vibes from it so far…

^ This sounds interesting fun, will have to try this

Kind of related but this might be excellent within bm3
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2017/07/27/audio-damage-brings-instant-autechre-replicant-2-to-ios/

Yup, interesting fun for sure :slight_smile:

beginning to think of BM3 as a kind of cross between octatrack and op1. Its not the same as either but it has that octatrck 'there’s probably a way for me to do almost anything in this (in some ways more so than OT cos of the polyphony + mulitsampling etc… OT still kills it for Rec buffers stuff and instant granular/glitch sounding stuff tho… but updates and AU plugins will change some of that…) and has the portability of Op1 (+ more memory. But minus controller/interface it misses the op1 tactility/all in one ;)…TE and Elektron have slept hard on advancing their samplers since OT and Op1 and focused on other areas, imo its beginning to show now. Same old workarounds/limitations etc…Op1 has cpu limitations due to age etc, fair enough… but DT & OT mkii = laziness/resting on your laurels/too much focus on maximising profits imo…

That audio damage plugin looks interesting :slight_smile: I grabbed Isem to try out AU plugin functionality. Flawless so far and kills all the inter app linking that I always hated on ios. Big step forward… Feels kind of like being able to choose your own (paid for…) OS updates…Like adding a new synth engine to Op1 or new fx. I know it’s basically the same as buying a vst for a laptop daw, but somehow the portability and touch ui makes it feel a bit more like adding features to an instrument…

Messed with the Pad Link feature a little yesterday. Very cool when slicing different samples on different pads and panning or soloing pads in realtime. Kind of like OT Parts and/or the way you can switch between Op1 drum patches whilst pattern is playing (+ I think you can record automation for pad solo and automate switching between kits like this) . Gonna drag across a bunch of sample chains across and set up a project template with 128 sliced kits spread over the pads in bank 1. Take a while to setup but seems like it’ll be worth it…

Totally agree about your theory about like adding a.new synth engine. It kind of is like a daw, but more in a sense of mpc live. I reckon it’s very close to that in feature but still does things it can’t. Anyway really looking forward to getting the mpd218 to go with it, everywhere is sold out of them in Australia. Will have to look into isem, never heard of it

Totally agree about your theory about like adding a.new synth engine. It kind of is like a daw, but more in a sense of mpc live. I reckon it's very close to that in feature but still does things it can't. Anyway really looking forward to getting the mpd218 to go with it, everywhere is sold out of them in Australia. Will have to look into isem, never heard of it

Not sure yet if I’d fully recommend isem. Just seemed like a pretty safe bet, was cheap and I was in a hurry :wink: Need to have some proper time with it. Seems like a lot of people recommending that Poison 202 synth atm which has AU functionality too :wink: Haven’t paid attention to ios in years, a lot of apps to read up on…

Let us know how the mpd218 integrates/improves workflow. Not in a hurry to grab a controller just yet (while my kids are all off school it’s hard enough to even use ipad standalone or Op1 :wink: but def grab one later this summer.

A couple of questions regarding BM3 -

Does it have a midi learn feature? So i could use one of OP-1 4 knobs and assign it to something like a filter on BM3?

Can you layer beats to create new beats? Like using Battery in the old days. Assigning say a pad with a sharp attack, another for the main thud/body (like a sampled disco kick) and another for a tail etc? And then compress it and export it as a new kick drum?

Does it have midi send? So like programming drums on the OP-1 and BM3 receiving that midi info and then having the luxury of seeing my OP-1 percussion riff as midi and deleting notes etc. I think this was possible in cubasis

Thanks
A couple of questions regarding BM3 -

Does it have a midi learn feature? So i could use one of OP-1 4 knobs and assign it to something like a filter on BM3?

Can you layer beats to create new beats? Like using Battery in the old days. Assigning say a pad with a sharp attack, another for the main thud/body (like a sampled disco kick) and another for a tail etc? And then compress it and export it as a new kick drum?

Does it have midi send? So like programming drums on the OP-1 and BM3 receiving that midi info and then having the luxury of seeing my OP-1 percussion riff as midi and deleting notes etc. I think this was possible in cubasis

Thanks

Pretty sure it has midi learn. Haven’t tried a controller/op1 yet but seems like people are generally setting it up how they want to.

Yeh ton of layer options. 4 layers per pad (each layer has its own params, modulations and some fx) and you could also link pads for almost Infinite layers. Don’t think it has a specific ‘export pad/layers’ function atm. Maybe tho… Resample to another pad is easy enough workaround tho.

No idea about the midi send but have a feeling I read that it’s limited or not there atm?Guessing will appear some point, prob worth contacting intua if it’s a dealbreaker and see it they can give an idea of when it’s coming. They seem pretty forthcoming with roadmap details etc…

Thanks for the info!

The kick drum creation sounds great as I make disco house type stuff

The other things are not a deal breaker, was just curious. They could really cash in and make a proper customised controller for this
Thanks for the info!

The kick drum creation sounds great as I make disco house type stuff

The other things are not a deal breaker, was just curious. They could really cash in and make a proper customised controller for this

I might be wrong about the midi stuff, haven’t touched midi on it yet, sorry if bad info :wink:

Yeah someone should do a Kickstarter for a customised controller/s (possibly with built in audio/midi interface…). The iPhone version coming soon too. Could be perfect size for a controller ui that remains portable… Curious to see how much of a pita the iPhone version is to use… Been on Android last couple of phones but been considering going iPhone again recently anyway for the camera/video stuff and that Fieldscraper app…

The MPD226 arrived at lunch time. Looking forward to hopefully getting some time with it and BM3 over the weekend.
Grabbed it for £60 on eBay btw :stuck_out_tongue:

The MPD226 arrived at lunch time. Looking forward to hopefully getting some time with it and BM3 over the weekend.
Grabbed it for £60 on eBay btw :P

Thats a nice saving!

Grabbed it for £60 on eBay btw :P

Nice deal :slight_smile: Let us know how it goes…

BM3 + Tonestack’s a pretty fun combo. Sorry about the shitty audio/one-handed video/irritating pattern :wink:

Soon as Tonestack’s AUv3 compatible and BM3 global macros are added things’ll get pretty crazy + faster/smoother workflow without having to switch out of BM3 UI.

Need to buy a controller, tweaking glass knobs sucks :confused: OK for sofa sound design/sequencing etc but missed them when filming this.

The MPD226 pairs up well with BM3.

I’d hoped to be able to use the 3 banks of 4 sliders on the MPD to control the mixer in BM3.

But annoyingly when on the mixer page of BM3 you can only control the slider of the current bank you are in within the app :frowning:

Not clear if there’s a work around this at the moment. Might message the developer cos surely I can’t be the only person wanting it to work this way!

I'd hoped to be able to use the 3 banks of 4 sliders on the MPD to control the mixer in BM3.

But annoyingly when on the mixer page of BM3 you can only control the slider of the current bank you are in within the app :(

Not clear if there's a work around this at the moment. Might message the developer cos surely I can't be the only person wanting it to work this way!

That would drive me nuts and why Im holding off this for now.

I'd hoped to be able to use the 3 banks of 4 sliders on the MPD to control the mixer in BM3.

But annoyingly when on the mixer page of BM3 you can only control the slider of the current bank you are in within the app :(

Not clear if there's a work around this at the moment. Might message the developer cos surely I can't be the only person wanting it to work this way!

Thanks for update on the Akai :slight_smile: Shame about the mixer :frowning: Hopefully dev can fix it up or you missed something. Guess for workaround atm you can just switch tracks on the screen by tapping the top of the mixer channel. That at least gives same ui/hands on as my OT which isn’t ‘too’ bad… Agreed that all channels simultaneously would be way better tho.

Havent tried it yet but I’m thinking that maybe I can assign the slider to be the channel selector AND the volume. That way when I just touch the slider to move it slightly it selects that bank, then when I move it more the volume change will be apparent.

Will report back on that when I try it as that seems a very good potential cheat.

I just want to be able to have all the channels volume available to tweak at the same time to do ‘dj-like’ cuts of beats and sounds in and out of compositions.
Havent tried it yet but I'm thinking that maybe I can assign the slider to be the channel selector AND the volume. That way when I just touch the slider to move it slightly it selects that bank, then when I move it more the volume change will be apparent.

Will report back on that when I try it as that seems a very good potential cheat.

I just want to be able to have all the channels volume available to tweak at the same time to do 'dj-like' cuts of beats and sounds in and out of compositions.

Yeh full mixer on sliders would be sweet, hopefully that cheat works!