BeatStep Pro

http://arturia2.arturia.net/beatstep-pro/details

kinda interesting… if it now would have unquantized midi recording/looping (and external note input) I would be all over this
I do think it does only quantized midi though. One can dream…

it is!!

How would it look like to work with this and an OP-1?

Yeah it’s like almost really nice. :stuck_out_tongue:

But according to the website it can record notes from an external keyboard. And some kind of micro timing is supported, but perhaps only after the (quantised) recording?

Polyphonic MIDI tracks would be great. I wonder for how much it’s gonna sell?

So I’m wondering whether it is a USB host, unlike the old one.
I.e. can you use it with OP-1 without an iConnect MIDI or whatever!

Got an answer back from them:

You’ll still need an iConnect MIDI to use the Beatstep Pro with the TE OP-1.
Let me know if you need further information.”

:frowning:

@johnl that would be rad if it was a usb/host interface! But then the double edged sword would be that it would cost a lot of dough :confused:

Someone should bring out a simple female to female USB adaptor that has USB host capabilities so then I could connect say my Microbrute to my OP-1 and they talk to each other.

@johnl that would be rad if it was a usb/host interface! But then the double edged sword would be that it would cost a lot of dough :/

after seeing the price on the Kenton USB MIDI host device, I’ve been wondering why that functionality is so expensive. Does anyone have any ideas?

@johnl that would be rad if it was a usb/host interface! But then the double edged sword would be that it would cost a lot of dough :confused:

after seeing the price on the Kenton USB MIDI host device, I’ve been wondering why that functionality is so expensive. Does anyone have any ideas?

Because they can partly. Music gear tends to cost more than it needs to because people will pay it.

You could do the job for $35 with a Raspberry Pi and a bit of elbow grease (or probably something cheaper with a bit more elbow grease.) Come to think of it, I have one of those kicking around…

So disappointing…

Saw it in person yesterday. It’s massive ahaha! At least compared to the original.

Great photo :smiley:

And so many garish colours, heh.

Ya they could’ve chose a more suitable “arturia” color pallete, or at least something more muted.

Got an answer back from them:

"You'll still need an iConnect MIDI to use the Beatstep Pro with the TE OP-1.
Let me know if you need further information."

:(

Just out of interest, I wrote to Roland about the SBX-1, which offers similar sync ability:

"The SBX-1 is not a USB host. The USB on board is only for connecting with a PC or Mac computer to sync your DAW.“
and
"The SBX-1’s USB socket is for computer connectivity only – it provides USB over MIDI ( In/Out ) basically becoming a USB MIDI interface.”

I actually really like the looks of the Beatstep Pro – looks like Star Wars. That’s some Death Star instrument panels right there.

I like it too, but it’s a little cumbersome for the little real estate on my desk. :confused:

If the Beatstep pro made love to the K-mix, I wokld totally adopt their kid hands down!

that thing takes up more desk space than a Elektron box o.O

One way you could get a cheap host is with the rapsberry pi. You could either drop $100 to get the whole touchscreen kit to use liniux audio gui software to route midi and also run something like pure data up in -the mix or you could run a pi headless for about $60 with a nice case and decent micro sd card.

You can pre-wire your midi ins and outs from a python script and have it run at boot so you could run the pi headless to be a midi host and router, most of my gear uses usb rather than tradiitional midi so Ii’m working out thiis kind of solution for myself. I don’t even need a usb midi for the pi for this solution, I just need to get cracking anfd write the script and then post it to github with instructions on how to use it.