Best hardware for effects for the Pocket Operators?

If you'd like some more case-less gear, consider an Axoloti Core. You design patches in a modular-like environment. I use mine with a Nanokontrol. My patch gives me a crossfading LP/HP filter, bitcrusher, reverb, auto-pan, and Leslie effect, with a bunch of parameters at my fingertips.

I seemed to have missed this one and it looks like the best in this category of DSP boards – I just bought a patchblock and also about to dive into the Teensy. But this Axoloti looks really good

Sounds like fun. Does axoloti require a computer when you've designed and installed your patches?

You can store one patch in the onboard memory. This is how mine is set up. All I need to do is provide power and it’s good to go. You can also set it up so it scrolls through a list of patches stored on an SD card, but I haven’t delved into that at all.

Sounds like fun. Does axoloti require a computer when you've designed and installed your patches?

You can store one patch in the onboard memory. This is how mine is set up. All I need to do is provide power and it’s good to go. You can also set it up so it scrolls through a list of patches stored on an SD card, but I haven’t delved into that at all.

This keeps sounding better and better @heatseakerrr

Speaking of which, how would you rate the fx sound quality?
Is there sound a noticeable volume/quality loss when going through the axioliti?
Have you got a video where there would be more than the HP filter demo’ed?
I’m just getting very curious

Thank you!

After watching a Bo-beats YouTube talking about the merits of the lowly monotrons delay & filter I decided to dig out my much neglected monotron and pair it with my PO.

In a word grit! I’m now going through my other synths and pairing them up as well. Great bang for Buck on this unit.

Yeah, the monotron is great value for money. Especially if you do the CV mod. I did it on mine back when I had a small analog setup; running drums through it gave some pretty interesting effects…

This keeps sounding better and better @heatseakerrr

Speaking of which, how would you rate the fx sound quality?
Is there sound a noticeable volume/quality loss when going through the axioliti?
Have you got a video where there would be more than the HP filter demo’ed?
I’m just getting very curious

Thank you!

The sound quality is good, it’s pretty transparent. The quality of FX varies depending on what you’re using. For example, the basic reverb module is very rudimentary. The filters sound very good though. If you have the skill you can just design your own modules. I have run several things through it, the OP-1, Pocket Operators, a kalimba, and an acoustic guitar. It is very fun to use and sounds great with all of them. I have a master volume knob set for balancing levels, a trim knob at the start of the input would work too.

Here are some videos I made when I was super hyped on it right after I got it, they make pretty good usage of all the FX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY58AIOscbw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwW8dtkbCg8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tczUVLjlB_k

@heatseakerrr I will have a look, thanks. I think we’re onto a winner.

I have a KP2 mini, tried the KP3, the KP3+ one, was going to look for a KP quad but grew tired of the cold korg digital sounding bit.

With the killswitch reverb idea do you think it would be possible to let the effect drag/fade out once you turn it of? Is this the type of parameter you can assign?
Also are you able to check the effects you design while designing them? or is it try and guess, back and forth?

Thanks so much :slight_smile:

@lefilou it’s possible to program it to behave that way.

You set up your patch with the modules and click the ‘Live’ button to get sound going. You can tweak parameters in the patch, but not reroute or add/remove modules while it’s ‘Live’. So you have to do a bit of back and forth if you’re switching out modules, but if you’re just dialing in the setting of a verb, no back and forth.

With midi in & out. I’ve a mk2. Don’t bother.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ8Sccr4vlI

Man, can u plz send me a message on my email? I have some questions about your gear.

florian.castells@gmail.com

for the cost - I would recommend the korg NTS-1 as an fx processor - it comes with a 3-chain process for external inputs (chorus/flanger/ensamble/distortion/etc) + Delay + reverb. the NTS-1 supports 3rd party processors for more advanced FX as well. on youtube, you will see many folks with PO’s use nts-1 as an FX processor if you want to preview how it sounds.