Best hardware for effects for the Pocket Operators?

Hi there,

tomorrow I’m going to receive all 3 Pocket Operators from last year (P-12, P-14 and P-16). I was wondering if you could help me picking the perfect piece of hardware for effects I could use with them.

I was looking at Korg Volca series, but it left me quite confused about the amount of variations (beats, keys, sample,…) - not sure what each of them does and if they could serve me well in the end.

However, still have my iPad mini 2 - so if there is a good cheap software to surpass the cheapest hardware, let me know either!

Thank you.

Which three do you have? Remember there are 6!

At the moment I haven’t put my 2 (robot and arcade) through any fx, but I’m tempted with a mini kaoss pad.

Which three do you have? Remember there are 6!

At the moment I haven’t put my 2 (robot and arcade) through any fx, but I’m tempted with a mini kaoss pad.

The first 3! P-12, P-14 and P-16.

I have a couple of reverbs and a delay I may try on mine.

The Afterneath by Earthquaker Devices is about half of the price of an Eventide Space, and gives you about half of the reverb modulation. But what you get is pretty spacious and versatile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KACWNSrc58g

I’d go buy a mixer with built in USB and fx to then send to your iPad for recording…Yamaha MG series work well.

Mini Kaoss Pad

1 Like

Versatile and inexpensive.

+1 Mini kaosspad.
KP 1 is good but mini jacks and improved FX on kpmini 2 or 2s wins for micro gear. Plus USB audio recorder.

Edit …SD card audio recorder - not USB audio.

What’s the difference between the mini kp 2 and 2s?

The 2s has a sampler button while the 2 is just an MP3 player which needs loading onto the SD card.

The little zoom multifx pedals are meant to be good for the money. You can stack like 5 fx simultaneously I think? I have one which I have one but haven’t used it much. Seemed OK. I didn’t gel with the interface very well.

Tonestack on ipad is pretty cool. Tons of different fx models from POG to space echo etc. You can chain a lot of fx simultaneously and split chains etc. Not gonna rival strymon etx for quality but for the money it’s cool, they have sale deals often.

The 2s has a sampler button while the 2 is just an MP3 player which needs loading onto the SD card.

not exactly true. the 2 you can record wavs and then play them off the player.

i think the actual difference between the 2s and the 2 is the color and the added ‘s’ at the end.
in other words fairly nonexistent.

Another option might be a used Roland Sp404. If you’re lucky you might be able to find one for around £150. I love the FX on the SP samplers, plus you’d be getting a useful/fast sampler to boot… Only drawback with the FX is no memory and only one at a time.

I have two Mini Kaoss Pads for mine. Any FX that are battery powered are going to be a decent match for the PO’s IMO. If you want something that’s higher quality you can do what I did and buy an external battery pack to power an Eventide Space reverb.

Mixer with at least one send bus would probably do the trick. Then you could plug your reverb/delay pedal of choice into the send bus.

Hmmm Mini KP2S seems pretty interesting !

If you’d like some more case-less gear, consider an Axoloti Core. You design patches in a modular-like environment. I use mine with a Nanokontrol. My patch gives me a crossfading LP/HP filter, bitcrusher, reverb, auto-pan, and Leslie effect, with a bunch of parameters at my fingertips.

Hmmm Mini KP2S seems pretty interesting !

Definitely the best FX for the price. I love mine!

If you'd like some more case-less gear, consider an Axoloti Core. You design patches in a modular-like environment. I use mine with a Nanokontrol. My patch gives me a crossfading LP/HP filter, bitcrusher, reverb, auto-pan, and Leslie effect, with a bunch of parameters at my fingertips.

Sounds like fun. Does axoloti require a computer when you’ve designed and installed your patches?