best source of white noise on op1

I like the old snare sound, with white noise, like on the Mattel Synsonics. What’s the best op1 engine for this? Digital? DNA? FM radio? Dbox?

Radio?

rubbing the mic?

Both good ideas. I like the radio tuned to a non-station.

I found one an interesting one recently:

Switch on the white ear. Go to the mixer drive screen and set drive to max and release to min. Then go to a bit of tape where there’s no audio and record nothing for a few seconds, ie just hit rec + play. Then go back to the start of the recording and overdub with nothing again. Each time you repeat it, you notice the nothing is turning into a kind of white noise due to the drive adding something each time.

Sounds faffy, but is actually quite quick, plus it has the advantage of being compatible with most battle rules :slight_smile:

Thanks I never would have thought of that. I’ve tried the mic rub & radio static, but they both come out a little too harsh. From what I’ve already heard of the drive on op1, I bet that will do nicely. Thanks for all the ideas.

Don’t forget you can use the blue knob on nitro with your rubbing or radio static sounds to isolate the higher frequencies.

Thanks I never would have thought of that. I've tried the mic rub & radio static, but they both come out a little too harsh.

erm, it’s white noise you’re after, right? :slight_smile:

EQ.

Good point.

everything comes from noise and could be led into it .OP1 has many sweet(delicious actually) spots if you use it as static breeder of noise, white if you prefer . remember that analog synths have feedback or white noise as an option digital machines like our OP1 are built upon codecs of noise

but with rather smart and flexible parameters AND even colours to give it musical character (EMULATION THAT IS) seeing it /hearing it naked by means of notes and sequenses it will appear to you as a portable white noise little fucker
  • 1 @daninski

Radio + PUNCH (Freq adjust as filter, Rounds 02, Punch 99, Power 99.)

Why not DNA? Turn the red knob all the way up, and it sounds like pure noise. Isn’t that a part of what it was designed for?

i like making snares by going "PSSSHHHTTT" like someone finger snapping w/ an attitude would into the mic, then just effecting it and driving/compressing it to hell and back. sometimes layering it w/ another sound or synth to give it more OOOMPH.

u can actually make a lot of cool sounds like this by just using your mouth and some processing. this is usually my go to when i am searching for a sound in my head, but its not coming out on the device like i planned.

turn mic on and start recording. Fuck with your cat until it hisses at you.

lol…

For the truly brave, go provoke a snake.
Why not DNA? Turn the red knob all the way up, and it sounds like pure noise. Isn't that a part of what it was designed for?

this

KrisM I’m glad u suggested that (although I don’t have a cat). Every time I try to just “turn mic on & start recording” to tape, I must be missing something. I have no trouble sampling to synth/drum with the mic, but can’t I just record audio to a track? Input set to mic, level up, hit rec/play, get nothing. Does it always have to be 6 or 12 second sample? I realize this is a noob question & has been discussed plenty, I just can’t find it. & the manual is sort of sparsely written.

turn mic on and start recording. Fuck with your cat until it hisses at you.

lol...

For the truly brave, go provoke a snake.

I hear that is the way that David Guetta got his white noise samples…

…oh wait it was a vengeance pack… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hey @IdkProbly, I know this happens for the white ear, might also be true of mic… but once you’ve selected your source in the shift-mic page and gone back to tape, you have to “arm” that selection by pressing mic again. Hopefully it’s that.

I used to think that DNA was only named to reference the sort of microscopic double helix graphics, but I realize now that everyone’s DNA synth sounds slightly different because the noise is based on our CPU ID.

Also experiment with Dsynth. The blue knob should be turned to make the pink and blue lines intertwine (like a double helix, hahaha) use the green knob to place the slider in the middle. Shift + green knob should be turned until the other slider is all the way up. Then turning the red knob until the dial is past the 4 or 5 will create the noise.

Lowering the attack on the envelope makes it sound like ocean waves, it’s pretty soothing.

I prefer Dsynth for its completely even sound rather than DNA which buzzes and changes randomly as you hold the note. Mostly because I used it to make a sweeping transition effect.

Thanks everybody. This thing really has so many different options and possibilities, it really is pretty amazing.
And @yoof , arming the mic input was that simple little step I was missing, thank you very much.