Better FX in the future?

Do you think that the OP1 will get better FX in the future? For example… now you can apply only one FX on a lead sound (for example a delay or reverb).But i want to apply a reverb and delay on a lead sound. But that isn’t possible. What do you guys think: will this be possible in the future?

What is for now the best option to put an FX chain on a lead synth? Using an external FX? If so, is it easy to use (like plugin and play)?

To achieve this you will have to have to do some resampling. Don’t think we will see another FX slot in the future, but who knows!?

Put an FX on the lead sound, then another on the mixer. You can then set the input to the ear setting and record the sound (with two FX) directly to the tape. Once you have done this you can add another FX on the mixer to further manipulate what you have recorded, then re record using the ear setting again and then you will have a sound with three FX, so on and so forth. Does that make any sense? I can make an explanation video if need be.

2 Likes
But i want to apply a reverb and delay on a lead sound. But that isn't possible.

well, i want to apply eq, compression, reverb, and delay, at the same time, and have em all in stereo, but that’s the challenge and the whole point of the OP1 - to give up the complications.

Thank you Psychadoll! That sounds logical :slight_smile:

Bumping a slightly older thread, might prove useful to others down the line, but something to keep in mind about the OP-1 is this: the SHARC Blackfin DSP it uses is not meant to be a monster powerhouse, it’s designed around lightly sipping electricity like a smooth whiskey on a warm summer’s eve. It’s why we have so much life on one charge.

I had to come to terms with this when I was yearning for a “big reverb” (and before I became good friends with Spring).

Resampling and Master FX are pretty much the only way to stack FX on the OP-1. One could even try emailing TE to see their thoughts on it, but the way the hardware and interface is laid out I highly doubt it will ever happen.

Not unless they implement the encoder push button feature that they consistently say they won’t :slight_smile:

I’d like to think that the teenage engineers could squeeze in a few lite FX.

I’d welcome a few new fx. But with the latest OS update I’m looking forward to tracking back and forth between my iPad/AUM and the Op. I think that will augment the experience greatly.

IMO a fun solution would be to let us switch the master fx (and eq (and, while I’m dreaming, compressor!)) between pre/post tape.

Right now those three blocks are always post-tape, but they have mono versions of all the FX, so they should be able to give us the option pretty easily instead of fx on the master.

And, since that FX only needs to be mono, maybe they could squeeze a mono EQ and/or compressor in there too with the left-over CPU time. :wink:

It would be so useful to be able to track stuff through the eq/a second fx/a compressor, to tame/shape stuff a bit more before it goes to tape. IMO that would go a long way to making the OP-1 a better modern replacement to a portastudio+small box of gear.

(It’s still really fun! But there’s always room for improvement, especially if it can be implemented by mostly just re-arranging existing stuff.)

flipping fx eq etc pre / post tape would def open things up. thats a great idea

like many things op1 the pieces are all there its just in a different way than u might want to do things.
u can fight it or u can embrace it. u can bring in other friends to help etc etc

its pretty easy to lay things down on tape and then bounce from track to track which goes thru the EQ, FX, master stuff and shape things that way.
thats how ive been doing it for a decade atleast :man_shrugging:t5:

ear is your best friend.
tape is never final.

1 Like

I totally agree with the idea that it’s best to use the OP-1 “with the grain”. But, for me, “with the grain” means HOLD-ing a sequencer and laying down 6-minute-long synth jams, which makes bouncing via Ear significantly more tedious.

Also: I struggled trying to use Ear for more than 2 years, and I eventually just stopped trying because I could never get decent results – for some reason it was never 1:1 with what I heard, which meant the resulting audio’s level would always be way too quiet, or clipping. Maybe they fixed it? IIRC early on they were summing L+R which made it easy to clip, then they fixed that but the result was the Ear’d audio was always really quiet.

It just seemed a bit impossible to use because I couldn’t monitor what was being recorded. Maybe I was doing it wrong! :confused: But I’m not a good enough painter to be able to do it blindfolded. :wink: