Broken Speaker

Woke up this morning to find out that the speaker on my OP-1 is broken :frowning:
I don’t use the speaker often but it still sucks. Has this happened to anybody before? What steps do I take to get it fixed?
I also noticed that it still makes the little click that occurs when I first turn it on, however no other sounds can be heard.

I’ve noticed the sometimes the headphone jack switching can be stubborn.

Try plugging in/out of it with an 1/8" headphone jack and see if the speaker comes back to life. I’ve had it where the internal switch doesn’t engage to reconnect the speaker after plugging in headphones.

I've noticed the sometimes the headphone jack switching can be stubborn.

Try plugging in/out of it with an 1/8" headphone jack and see if the speaker comes back to life. I’ve had it where the internal switch doesn’t engage to reconnect the speaker after plugging in headphones.

Yeah I’ve had that problem with my MacBook and it worked however it didn’t work for the OP-1. Turning it on and off didn’t help.

Well, turned it on and speaker is working now. Fickle little thing.

I would still suspect an intermittent headphone jack sw. at this point myself.

I’m new to the Op and still shocked at how shit that speaker is. Even the Volca ones are vastly superior.

Personally I don’t think it is terrible, but it is definitely nothing special. For the price of the instrument I think it should’ve been better. With all of the great portable speakers and headphones out today, it’s not a concern for me. The bass is certainly lacking but the volume is there.

I get no audio from the speakers every once in a while, say 1% of bootups, a quick reboot and i’m back in business.

Now I have the same problem, all of a sudden the speaker was gone and I haven’t even plugged in the headphones before. A girlfriend was playing the OP-1 and then - over. It came back for a few seconds whilst another girl in Japan was playing it. Back home I replaced the I/O board and it still doesn’t work. Plug in plug out neither. Hmm. Ok it’s almost 4 years old now…

Maybe a reset or loading the latest or the new!!! firmware makes it bet (is that correct english?) I will try this later!

I had the speaker not work one time. Freaked me out for a minute since my op1 in brand new. But a quick reboot fixed the problem. I don’t really use the built in speaker anyway, since I mostly operate in the lower frequencies.

I’ve found the speaker to be kind of crappy. I wonder if it’s possible to replace with a better one after the warrantee period is over?

Sucks to read about problems with speaker and microphone/input last couple of days. Hadn’t really researched that side of op-1 before I purchased. Just assumed it was super solid after reading all the hype on the build quality etc and focused more on researching the workflow/os. I’d be pretty bummed if I hit problems with something as integral as speaker or mic any time soon… I’ve never had a problem with either of those on my cheap-ass built Casio sk-5 in 15 years!

The vast majority of OP-1s are probably fine. There are an awful lot of complaints about the IO board though, even considering how people tend to only complain about the bad more often than not

For sure.

So, Jacob sent me a new speaker with a nice sticker note together with a pdf how to do it. Ok, removing the keyboard was definately the hardest part (where there’s only one blurry picture of what keys I have to remove, ha! )

l R, k S:

So, it’s working again !!!
and…
no dust under the screen anymore, yay!

Hello, better late than never… I recently purchased a used OP1, the speaker was working for the first few days, and suddenly one morning the speaker cut out. After a bit of forum diving, I was able to find a solution!! Hopefully this can help someone in a similar situation. I was able to use a Q-tip with most of the cotton removed dipped in a bit of electric contact cleaner to resolve the issue. It took me a good 5-10 mins of cleaning before I was able to get a consistent result. My only pointer is to be gentle, the input is directly mounted to the PCB, so there is a small risk of damage (btw…this is a common issue for OP1), so be careful.

instead of a qtip u can just use a 3.5mm cable and insert it many times and work it around
much safer

Agreed…If you can solve the issue with just a headphone connector, I think that is the correct first step, the Q-tip solution should be considered as “Plan-B” only.

In my case, I tried the headphone connector solution for a few days but to no avail. The advantage of the Q-tip is that it can absorb the contact cleaner to help clean and loosen any dust or grime that caused the internal switch to get stuck.