Can I record into Logic (DAW) instead of on tape??

I’m trying to record pieces using sounds I’ve designed in the OP-1, but the tape mode is too tedious for me, and making minute adjustments all the time is quite a pain since I’m used to a quicker workflow in Logic.

Sure. Just direct your analogue output into Logic via an audio interface.

CB
1 Like

Was going to do that, but is there no way to go about it using the usb? Because I wouldn’t want to depend on the interface as this synth boasts about it portability.

1 Like

Only if you record to the tape. You can create several short loops at various points on tape using 4 tracks. Connect to PC with USB in Disk Mode and drag and drop audio into Logic and then chain, manipulate, mix, whatever from there.

Damn, thanks a ton for the responses. I just got the OP-1, so the tape mode is a little frustrating, can’t quantize or set LFO/FX to tempo that easily.

Well, you won’t be able to do that stuff in Logic either.

Was going to do that, but is there no way to go about it using the usb? Because I wouldn't want to depend on the interface as this synth boasts about it portability.

Er… aren’t you already talking about not being portable when you want to record into Logic?

Anyway, if you want to quantise, you could trigger the sounds on the OP-1 from your DAW and record that to the OP-1 tape for lossless sound quality. Also, that leaves your hands free to manually play with settings, LFO, FX etc while recording, which can be great fun.

Then, when you are done with one (or four) parts, you transfer the files to Logic and continue from there.

I only got my OP-1 too – just a week ago, in fact – and since I’m not the best keyboard player, I found myself having to re-record a lot to get some parts just right, so I tested this kind of workflow where I set up the melody in my DAW, found the right sound for it and recorded it on the OP-1. Just like everything else about the OP-1, the workflow is quite easy and intuitive.

The melody I recorded like this was composed on the OP-1, though, so I was still using its amazing portability to come up with the idea just sitting in a café with my espresso, but to get it just right it needed a bit of tweaking at home before committing it to the tape.

Anyway. Good luck with your OP-1. It’s a brilliant little synthesizer, with some surprisingly beefy sound possibilities too.

1 Like

To quantize use the sequencers and record those to tape. I’ve been trying to tighten up my playing myself, but each to his own.

Regarding Logic Pro, I can’t seem to be able to detect the Op-1 on my midi sync preferences, even when the Op-1 is in sync mode. What am I doing wrong ?

I would also enjoy sequencing the op-1 through the computer just for fun or pressing the play on Logic and the tape starting also, it’s possible ?

Could I also sequence AUs or other hardware synths with the Tombola or Arpeggiator just using the USB cable with my computer ?

I’ve had the OP-1 for a few months, but just started using it/learning it. I have a MacBook Pro, but no interface (on my 2nd smaller system), I have USB from OP-1 going into my MacBook, and was able to play the TAPE from OP-1 and record into Ableton, but when I switch to only the synth or drums etc. on OP-1, I see it reading on Ableton, but it doesnt record. It only Records the Tape from OP-1 again. any advice, or is this even possible to record OP-1 synths and drums onto audio channels in Live?

OK after thinking about it, I guess I will need an Audio interface like Focusrite or interface/mixer —(ok just ordered a Xenyx Q802USB).

1 Like

Gotta ask.
In this scenario, how do you sync Logic Pro and the OP1f?
Been trying to record Logic Pro to tape with both sync on the same BPM.
I managed to do this with a quick workaround but can’t find an organic way to do so.
If you ever got the time to expand on your workflow, would greatly appreciate it! Cheers

1 Like

Edit- ok I think I have everything working now (I hope).

I connected the OP1f to Logic with a usb cable.

On the OP1f I pressed Shift + the microphone input button (top right) and chose USB as input
I pressed Shift + COM, then MIDI
I chose MIDI Channel 1, Clock, Notes, and Other set to Both

In Logic I went to File>Project Settings>Synchronization, then chose the MIDI tab
in the first Destination field I clicked on the word Off, chose the OP1 from the drop-down menu
I checked On in the second field which is Clock

underneath that area I have chosen Clock Mode- SPP at Play Start and Stop/SPP…

press play in Logic, the tape on the OP1f starts
on the OP1f Tempo page I see the Tempo adjust to Logic’s tempo
all the sequencers sync to Logic when I play them
If I set a loop in Logic, the tape loops exactly the same etc.

I will experiment more with Clock Mode. I think it’s an important setting to get the results you want.

This is really fun!

1 Like

It kinda is, yes.

Since I posted, I managed to make the OP1f and LogicPro (on both iPadOS and macOS) play along nicely.
It takes a bit preparation on the MIDI side of things, but so far, I managed to make the OP1 a slave to Logic.
More precisely, I can use the OP1f as a MIDI controller of sorts (easy enough) and I can somewhat control the OP1f rec launch from Logic’s transport. Very useful when I want to record some Logic MIDI regions to the OP1f’s tape and keep things in check and in sync.
I haven’t been able to make the OP1 the master, tho. I need to try a little bit more since it would be great, for me, to control Logic’s transports with the OP1f.
Same goes for the use case you were talking about : sequencers in the OP1f don’t react anyhow to my routings.

Yeah, the sequencers seem to only trigger on the OP1f itself, if I press a note they play in time. I’m pretty sure this can be done somehow though.

I’m not sure about making the OP1f master, I’ll check it out.

1 Like

If you can keep me posted, I’d be delighted.
Same here.
As soon as I get around this, you’ll be the first to know!

I’m not having any luck controlling Logic with the OP-1. I did read somewhere, and I can’t find it again, that the OP-1 will send MTC in some mode. That is what needs to be turned on in Logic in order to sync to an outside source. But I’ve been trying so many combinations of settings, I’ve gotten myself confused and lost the plot.

I did get Logic to trigger the OP sequencers perfectly-

There was MIDI information in the Logic piano roll and the External Instrument plugin was loaded and set to OP1 and the matching MiDI channel. In the OP1 I pressed Shift + COM, then pressed MIDI and set Note to IN only, not BOTH.

Everything was perfect but now, 30 minutes later, I tried it all again and the OP1 sequencer is playing out of time. I’m frustrated. :frowning_face:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing!

I gotta try this note in setting. Looks quite interesting.
I had some clock issues too when setting both ends on the all setting. I’m still trying to figure that out. I’m almost 100% sure that it’s my doing, that I’m missing a basic setting here.
Same goes when recording a looped cycle from Logic to the OP1f. The recorded loop (from Logic to tape) is somewhat shorter (about less than half a beat). Easily fixable (just adding a bar to Logic’s loop fixes it, then cut the tape to desires length). But still not perfect.

At the moment, I’m trying to find ressources on what is possible (and isn’t), MIDI wise, with the OP1f.

Now that Logic Pro is available on the iPad, I’m hoping we’ll see more and more tutorials on how to MIDI out and in the OP1f.
On a personal note, it baffles me a bit that not that many tutorials are easily available anywhere. Would point towards the hard fact that it’s not an intuitive process - or a convoluted one at the very least.