Chord Memorizer for OP-1

I couldn’t really justify a Kordbot, so I bought Chordion for my iPad: http://www.olympianoiseco.com/apps/chordion/

One thing I did was use the drum sampler to record a different chord for each key. This kind of gave me an autoharp type of instrument. I think I had a 1/2 second limitation for each note. I didn’t try looping each sample, but I’ve had problems with the envelopes doing that.

Yeah I thought about sampling. But that doesn’t lend it self to change the sound while playing… Like opening a filter or adding distortion…

that's a poor customer relationship position to be in..

Honestly as someone who’s been a little involved with Novation, who are more open to customer suggestion than TE, I can’t really blame a company for not wanting to. You implement one customer suggestion and suddenly every single post on all social media surrounding the device is hundreds and hundreds of people with ideas who start backlash when you take into account some of them and not others. I think you have to be prepared to be massively communicative and spend even more time dealing with humans than with hardware/software. I think it’s nice when companies do it but god knows if I owned a synth company I wouldn’t want to.

With that said, I love the idea of a sequencer with each key playing the ‘correct’ chord for a preselected scale. I would use the heck out of that even if only as an idea generator.
If Finger could be tweaked to play 4 notes simultaneously, Finger could be used for this. Not that far fetched difficult or space consuming.

this. Currently it saves 2 notes per step, no?

Yes, only 2… There are 4 fingers available, but they can’t be trigged from the same key…

Yes, only 2... There are 4 fingers available, but they can't be trigged from the same key...

What I’ve tried to do recently is to save all 7 chords of scale i’m playing with as finger patterns. It didnt work because, well, 2 notes per step. But I think you can go with 2 notes (root + second note) of each chord on first 7 white keys, and on other 7 keys have all notes for the scale separately (1 note per key). This will give you abillity to play progression on one side of keyboard, because each of seven steps would be your 7 basic chords, and second 7 notes would allow you to construct more complex chords.

I even think, that you might place all notes of chord on similar keys, i.e. one full 1st chord would be key C in both octaves on OP1. This is not the most elegant solution, but might give you the abillity to generate progressions on the fly, if that’s what you are looking for.

upd: thats funny… I manage to beat-in all the ideas which I had, but for some reason in some cases other finger sequence delays it’s start for some reason. I.e. you hit button simultaneously, but it delays second sequence for 1 step.

that’s a poor customer relationship position to be in…

Honestly as someone who’s been a little involved with Novation, who are more open to customer suggestion than TE, I can’t really blame a company for not wanting to. You implement one customer suggestion and suddenly every single post on all social media surrounding the device is hundreds and hundreds of people with ideas who start backlash when you take into account some of them and not others. I think you have to be prepared to be massively communicative and spend even more time dealing with humans than with hardware/software. I think it’s nice when companies do it but god knows if I owned a synth company I wouldn’t want to.

With that said, I love the idea of a sequencer with each key playing the ‘correct’ chord for a preselected scale. I would use the heck out of that even if only as an idea generator.

I hear you.

Yes, it can be used for ideas and for recording onto track. I’m not a bad keyboard player but the keys on the OP are very small and playing cool voicings on it is quite daunting… I’m actually really surprised they didn’t feature this from the get go…