Chords mode in the OP-Z app!

Hi everyone! I’ve made a chords mode UI extension for the OP-Z app using videolab. I like this feature on other synthesisers and thought I’d share it in case other people might find it useful. You can find the compiled videopak here along with the source code and some documentation. I also made a video showing how you use it and giving some information on how I made it. Let me know what you think!

Update: There was an issue with UI scaling on certain devices. I’ve fixed this now and released a new version. https://github.com/ChrisWellsWood/chords/releases/tag/v1.0.1

26 Likes

Fantastic! I didn’t know videolab could make applications :open_mouth:

3 Likes

It’s really powerful, although you need to stay within the boundaries of the libraries included in Videolab. There’s so much scope, but I think that the documentation could be improved to make it more accessible.

1 Like

excellent job, cheers!

1 Like

This looks amazing! I never used the video part after my first week of owning the OP-Z. This looks way more useful.

1 Like

I tried it, very cool!!! I had no idea the videopaks could function as an input, makes me wish I knew how to code!

1 Like

You should give it a go, the little visual programming language you have to use is quite intuitive. @cuckoo has a great tutorial for getting started with videopaks on YouTube, you should check that out.

2 Likes

Bravo man. I’m enjoying it. It’s tremendous work. Really helpful for me. Strangely, I m not able to change the key. It’s always in F. All the rest does work but not the key. I’m using 1.0.1. most recent I think. Any idea ?

1 Like

Not sure what’s happening, I just tried 1.0.1 of the pak with the latest firmware and everything is working for me. The green encoder on page one of the parameters (the white page) should change the key. Is the UI changing but the key isn’t?

Thank you very much for your help. The key is changing but I don’t know what UI mean. What does it mean ? Maybe I’m doing something wrong. I tried twice but I’ll try again later today.

UI means user interface, I was meaning, does the key label on the videopak change? I’m still not totally sure what the problem is, could you describe it in a bit more detail?

1 Like

This is great!
Thank you for creating it.
Although I do know chord theory (I’m a, not great, guitarist) playing chords on a keyboard is not one of my strengths so this is perfect.
Install was easy (I assumed it was going to be complicated) and everything worked first time.

I have not tried it yet but I presume I can actually use it to record chords into the OPZ as well as just playing them?

3 Likes

Glad you like it! Yup, it’s just the same as normal note input, so you can set it up on the videopak page and then switch to the track you want to programme, hold a step on the sequencer and then press the chord on the app.

3 Likes

That is awesome. I can see me getting a lot of use out of this, particularly with the Arpeggio track.

Thank you again!

3 Likes

Thank you. The problem in my case, and this is mysterious is that the key label and the key itself does not change when i turn the green dial. It’s stay in C or another. This is strange because it was in C all the time and this morning i opened the app and it was in Db. Hope this is clear. Thanks again.

Hmm… :thinking: not sure what the problem is. Could you take a video of what’s going wrong and send me a link to it (by DM if you like)?

1 Like

Yes, I’ll do that. Thank you !

1 Like

Great!!! Useful, I hope there was something for op-1, hopefully they will add chords (easy way for begging ears) on the op1-f

Thanks

2 Likes

They kinda did in the Hold feature. Someone posted a video demoing it earlier in the Field thread