Connect Microfreak to OP-1 Field

I want purchase an OP-1 Field to accompany my Microfreak. The Microfreak has MIDI and clock in/out, as well as USB-B, and 1/4 output. Given to OP-F has USB MIDI capabilities, how would I successfully connect them together? I want to be able to play the Microfreak and record it’s audio onto the OP-1f without sampling- I want to be able to press record, play on the Microfreak and have to record to the tape. Main reason is, the beautiful synths on the Microfreak and velocity keys. What hardware or hubs would I need to make this happen?

Thanks for your time, much appreciated!

1 Like

Hey! Not sure if you asked me this in another thread or if it was someone else, but they can work really well together. But there are some points to consider. I made this little video earlier tonight showing what works:

3 Likes

Nice thread I unearthed here.

I’m looking into the Microfreak. Looks like a really cool machine.

I just watch your video, @darwiniandude
You keep on delivering on multiple fronts. I dig that.

Just wanted to make sure.

With this set-up, I could program a sequence in the Microfreak, arm the tape on the op1f and pressing play on the op1f would launch the synced sequence from the Microfreak.

Cause if so (just like some other synths, actually), I might just pull the trigger right away.

Looks way too fun.
And useful. Kind of the missing portable synth.
It’s this one or the PO Arcade. And I’m kind of tired of receiving broken gear from TE. So this would actually make my day quite a bit!

Hi Heyes, thanks for the kind words :slight_smile:
I haven’t tried hitting play to start the microfreak - but pressing a key will start it. So much as on the field you can arm record and then press a key to start, that key press can trigger the microfreak to start its arp/seq.
A Microfreak sequence is stored per-sound. Unlike Endless or other sequencers on the OP-1 F, which are global. This is both good and bad, or rather different. I’m more OP-1 it can be nice to play a sequence with one sound then again transposed, or with a different sound. Whereas on the Freak it becomes part of the sound.
The PO Arcade I got because I love C64 chip tunes. But I’ll admit I’ve not used it much. It has a built in speaker, and is super simple and immediate, but otherwise the Woovebox kills it in every way. I may sell the PO-20 actually but might play with it a little more first.
OP-1 Field’s ability to midi IO or Bluetooth midi IO between another piece of gear and take the audio back in, is great. I have a ‘silent’ sound assigned in slot 1 on the field, to use as a midi output trigger to other gear.

One further but if gear to consider, is affordable but sounds amazing, compact, great build quality and UI… look at the Micromonsta 2. There is a video by that midlifesynthesist guy that is a good overview. It’s metal and under 300 monetary units. It’s a dual 6 voice bi-timbral or 12 voice linked poly synth and works really nicely with the Field, and is about the same depth, a little thicker and about 1/3rd the length. I did have to use a small line level “ground lift” box to stop the hum when Monsta used with the Field but that worked perfectly. Would’ve worked to stop the hum in the Freak video above I’d say.

Downside to Micromonsta2 is a long wait time. I went on their waiting list in April and only just recently got it. It’s very cheap for what it is and how it sounds. Microfreaks are available everywhere, even used so that’s no issue there. The Microfreak as a fun and friendly UI too, very accessible and it’s reminiscent of the OP-1 how you move a parameter and the screen shows it changing. With a graphic showing the change.

I’ll leave a pic showing the micromonsta next to the Field… check out that video about it mentioned above.

2 Likes

As always, thanks.
I couldn’t have asked for more.

Thanks for the suggestions, for the ideas, the PO Arcade feedback and that pic…gosh darn it…now I have to look this up. Looks like it means business. And that black/white contrast with the op1f…it looks like a killer portable rig.

Thanks. And thanks again!

If you think of anything else, please, lemme know

The pdf manual for the micromonsta2 is good on their site, they’ve added arp functions, and the little buttons can double as a mini keyboard for previewing patches. I’d reccomend going on their email wait list, as it’s probably going to take 6 months or more before you could order one anyway, so plenty of time to decide and not order. I think Micromonsta2, Microfreak and Woovebox (no particular order) are the best value things on the market really. MM2 has no BLE, and only midi in. But USB midi works of course.

1 Like

First, lemme thank you again. I asked, you delivered.

The Woovebox is clearly a wonderbox for me. Seems to do it all. And its creator seems dedicated like crazy!
I still have to wrap my head around the way FX work and the fact that there are no option to protect the device. But it’s clearly a magnificent little thing.

I always refrained from the Microfreak because if its lack of effects. For the past 10+ years, I’ve been a strong advocate of the ITB workflow. Desktops, laptops or even tablets. But since Apple and the likes keep pulling out ports, I took a quick and deep dive into the DAWless world (although, in my case, DAWs still account for a big chunck of the workflow).
Recently, seeing how the Microfreak was still a talked-about gear, I started considering it. I looked around on my DAWless space and came to the conclusion that I was missing a synth.
And that, paired with the op1f, it could mean business.

And as for the MM2, this thing is enticing for sure.
I just subscribed to their email list. Just in case.
I love the form factor. But more so, the thing looks like a beast. With its great appeal being its immediacy (if you already know how to operate synth modules, that is).
And just as you pointed (and that’s the whole point of the machines we’re talking about rn), the value you get our of it for the budget you put out is incredible.

At the moment, I’m really into performance effects embedded in the machine. Call them what you want. Punch-In FXs, Performance FX, mFXs, etc.
They really make for a great way to quickly lay down ideas with movement. And they make for a quick « edit-and-commit » workflow that helps me craft structured fills more efficiently later on when mixing ITB.
That’s why I’m kinda sad that both EP-133s I ordered came in broken. TE’s implementation of Punch-In FXs is both fun and immediate.
I really hope they sort out this mess. Even tho, gotta be honest, TE’s overall quality issues has put a big dent in my trust for their products.
And it’s sad. Cause I can see them expanding on the cheap EP/Lego series and culminate with some sort of EP-Z/OP-Z Field.

Anyhoo.

Thanks for the advices.
You the real MVP of this thread!

Take care, my friend.
Cheers!