Conundrum.. Maschine MK3 or Mpc Live

Okay so I bought a Mpc Live but it had some issues so I returned it, and while waiting for a replacement to come into stock the Maschine 2.7 update came out.
It has some very cool new audio features which are enticing.
Anyone using Maschine? Impressions? Do you like it?

Basically my process is OP1>mpc/maschine>Reason

While I had the Mpc I was suprised how little I actually used it, I would reach for the Op1 7/10 times.

I’m thinking maybe my standalone gear is covered with the Op1, and the MK3 would be a good tool to develop ideas further.

Any thoughts?

Thanks all

https://youtu.be/akzQ5VkHohc

hey @MirEko I am a long time user (since 1.8) of Maschine, but barely touch it since I have the OP1. That said, whenever I boot it up I make some nice bangin’ hip hop (like most of this record were Maschine drums: https://soundcloud.com/greyyard/sets/singularity).

It’s definitely a nice workflow and feels like working with hardware, but you’re still tethered to the computer and all the problems that comes with that (missing files, internet distractions, etc).

From what I’ve heard from friends in the biz who have both softwares (Maschine and MPC) they say the MPC s/w is still super buggy compared to Maschine

https://youtu.be/5bYhyxL3yv4

hey @MirEko I am a long time user (since 1.8) of Maschine, but barely touch it since I have the OP1. That said, whenever I boot it up I make some nice bangin' hip hop (like most of this record were Maschine drums: https://soundcloud.com/greyyard/sets/singularity).

It's definitely a nice workflow and feels like working with hardware, but you're still tethered to the computer and all the problems that comes with that (missing files, internet distractions, etc).

From what I've heard from friends in the biz who have both softwares (Maschine and MPC) they say the MPC s/w is still super buggy compared to Maschine

Yeah op1 has taken over my music life, I think it’s one of the best things ever in beatmaking. But when I get to the point where I want to expand an idea I want a “deeper” groove box to build on the 4 tracks from the Op1.

Noted the issues with internet and missing samples etc. I have a clean Mac mini that does nothing right now (in a box in the corner) so I’m thinking that can be my Maschine computer. Literally nothing but Maschine will be on it. I will also but Maschine software on my DAW workstation and copy priojevts across to mix and master in reason.

Watch that second video I posted if you have time, the new audio feature will work amazing for building op1 tracks up I think.

I also use a SP404SX.

So the Maschine/mpc will just be for layering more into a beat.

But after that second video, the melodic gate mode makes me think Maschine is the way to go

@MirEko yep the new audio tracks feature looks great, EXCEPT as far as I know it only works correctly if your loops are already chopped into perfect 2/4/8 bars already before loading up, otherwise it doesn’t detect tempo. I’ll D/L it over the weekend and let you know how it works!

One of the things that I really do love about Maschine is that if you are knocking out a basic pattern (say a little drum loop), you can drag-n-drop straight from the software into Ableton or whatever DAW, and you can do either audio or MIDI. Makes it really easy to bang out a bunch of patterns and kits and drag/drop them into Ableton clips when spitballing ideas

Maschine seems to be really knocking out some serious updates ATM. I have dusted off my mk1 controller. Love how the mk3 has a built in audio interface. For that reason alone I would love to upgrade. Need to spend some time with the new software updates first.

I nearly got a live but they took so long to come out here I got a digitakt instead and beatmaker 3.

@MirEko yep the new audio tracks feature looks great, EXCEPT as far as I know it only works correctly if your loops are already chopped into perfect 2/4/8 bars already before loading up, otherwise it doesn't detect tempo. I'll D/L it over the weekend and let you know how it works!

One of the things that I really do love about Maschine is that if you are knocking out a basic pattern (say a little drum loop), you can drag-n-drop straight from the software into Ableton or whatever DAW, and you can do either audio or MIDI. Makes it really easy to bang out a bunch of patterns and kits and drag/drop them into Ableton clips when spitballing ideas

How I understand it is you can edit/truncate the sample in sample mode and the switch to audio module

The drag and drop is killer though!

Maschine seems to be really knocking out some serious updates ATM. I have dusted off my mk1 controller. Love how the mk3 has a built in audio interface. For that reason alone I would love to upgrade. Need to spend some time with the new software updates first.

I nearly got a live but they took so long to come out here I got a digitakt instead and beatmaker 3.

Yeah the Digitakt is the shit, had one for a bit but sold it. Very nice kit but mono didn’t work for me :frowning: also not big on step seq and no velocity on buttons

Have BM3 and it’s nice but need to upgrade my iPad to fully utilise it and that’s going to cost more than Maschine so going to go with the MK3

The clacky buttons is literally the only thing that keeps me from Elektron gear - I need some big juicy rubber pads for knocking out beats!

Neither…octatrack. or just use the OP1