Copped that 1010 Blackbox

Looks like you need a better power source (2.4A or more) or a powered controller. Some controllers can drain quite a bit of juice, which makes the Blackbox behave erratically.

Interesting. What makes you say that?

The manual, information on 1010music forum and personal experience. A powered USB hub can also help!

No worries. I’m not questioning your comment, I’m just looking for more info.

Per the manual, I’m using a minimum 2A power supply (2.1A to be exact). But I just ordered a 3A power supply to verify if it’s a power supply issue or just a software bug.

thanks

2A is not quite enough for most controllers (the QuNexus doesn’t seem to mind though). I found that an iPad charger works well, but I switched to a hefty USB powerbank to keep it portable (and noise-free).

Cool, thanks for the info.

anyone still around using the blackbox with an op-z? Just curious of any tips or tricks going in

Almost ready to get one of these but I do have two concerns which hopefully some nice user here may help me with;

1. how visible is the screen outdoors on a sunny day?

2. how long does your powerbank last, and would you recommend it?

3. how buggy is the Blackbox? Looking on the 1010 forum it seems to be a horror show! Lists upon lists of glitches whereas here there is hardly anything relating to dodgy firmware behaviour (yay TE!).
    How has your experience been?

Cheers.

1. Easily viewable

2. Depends on the size, you’ll need 5V 2A with a good USB cable (either the one it comes with or DJ Tech Tools Chroma Cable or Oyaide NEO D+ USB cables)

3. Not that buggy if you have proper power and a good sd card. There are always updates addressing minor bugs and even sometimes adding new features

2 Likes

Cheers for the info. Bought one from a UK retailer called Elevator Sound (Bristol, UK).

1 Like

Hey guys, have the Blackbox firmware updates been satisfying people over the years? How are you liking it these days days. Planning to use this with OP-1 field to dump tracks in and out from.

1 Like

I’m new to the BB but have followed the 1010 Music forum for a while and 1010 really do seem to be a decent company with advancing their products with updates. Just wish they’d make the grid screen easier to use.

1 Like

What would make the grid screen easier for you?

The whole zooming-in/out thing is far too finicky and unreliable (in my experience). Thought using a dinky stylus would help…but that’s a no. A step-sequencer page would be bliss eg; in the grid screen you’d click on track lane 1-16 and that brings up a 16 step grid (with page/pattern/copy options). Would be far easier and faster the edit patterns. Or even just fixed zoom in points on the grid page instead of using the finger pinch method.

1 Like

to be honest I’m thinking about selling the BB to fund the Polyend Tracker Mini. For travelling devices the Mini back-to-back with a Kindle seems to be the perfect combo. Just hanging back to see if it’s any good, and just how well the op-z integrates with it. I’m in no rush but I’m still dying to see that Loopop vid. And also quietly laugh at all those release-day-drop “it’s a classic” YT algo-hungry shills. A tracker is certainly not the eye candy colours of the Play, so let’s see what happens a few months down the line, after the buzz slips, once folk have had time to really use it in a hand-held, outdoors situation. I very, very much doubt I’ll will ever make an album ‘on the fly’ with it though. Certainly in my inept hands anyway. Quite why Polyend are using that as some selling tag seems pointlessly daft. Roll on that Loopop video…but the only real world opinion I truly trust is Tarekith.