Creating drumkits manually in Audacity

Can any advise where I’m going wrong? My sample hits are not automatically fitting to the keys.

I lay out 24 x drum samples at .5 second intervals in Audacity to give me a 12 second mono 24 bit 44.1kbs project.
I export to aiff 16bit.
I rename to .aif and transfer to the op1.
The sample hits are all the same length but start and end points are wrong.

I’m using linux and so can’t use the drum utility - at the moment audacity is the only editor I have.

Any advice gratefully received.


I think it may be 16 hits.
The drum sampler tends to divide from low F to high A. Then it starts the wave form division again.
So have a go with 16 equal drums,see how you get on.

16 drums over 12 seconds.

Or even 15 drums ,as I’m not certain.

Use @yoof’s drum utility, works on Linux too! =)

I saw a video of someone using 4 bars of drum. I think if you lower it to 16 beats it’s probably gonna solve the problem. Oh and make sure the BPM is the same in audacity as in OP-1

Tried 16 and 15 hits but no luck. I’m resigned myself to doing it the honest way… Manually setting the in and outs for all 24 hits. It actually doesn’t, take too long and means I’ll have kits with 24x kicks, 24x snares, etc. Simpler with the utility on my old Mac but not worth me firing it up again.

Did try yoof’s command line tool but my Linux mint has jre7 and I made a pact with myself to not under any circumstances deviate from the base build… Lost too much time over the years by thrashing PCs and Macs to within an inch of their lives just to gain that extra 10% performance benefit or extra functionality . Middle of the road, drip-fed passenger is what I’ve become in my old age.

Thanks for the suggestions though guys, always good to ask you knowledgeable lot.

Thanks for testing.
Now we know,there seems no logic in the divisions of drum audio files .?

I believe the edit points are stored as data in the aif header. maybe by importing the aif from audacity, the op-1 uses the previously loaded edit points for that kit number. just a guess.

maybe try editing your aif in the op-1 and upload a different aif with the same spacing and see if it works without re-editing.

@853, let me see how much effort would be involved in backporting to jre7. Don’t think it would be ready anytime soon, but would prefer to be compatible with users who want to use the tool :slight_smile:

@yoof maybe this can serve as a starting point. Using Google guava to ease the pain. Tests fail and hang but it’s the same for me with the current Head from the Github master too.

@yoof. That’s really good of you but I have got all my hits done. Didn’t actually take that long used lift and drop to navigate through the 24x samples but shifting the start and end points over by 1. Actually it was a good exercise, I learned a few new things and by doing it manually I found some nice variations via happy accidents. Makes me feel more connected to my sample selection if you know what I mean.

And to 000000… Yes, will give that a try next time I go through this process again.

Hey @crudeoperator - thanks for taking a look :slight_smile:

I’ve actually completely rewritten everything from the ground up since I wrote that first fairly naive attempt. For some reason, when I wrote that first version, I tried to avoid using third party libraries in the hope that I could separate off the aiff reading and writing code and make it a standalone library, available for others to use. In the newer version however, I bit the bullet and used guava as you suggested. Also, I totally re-did all the aiff reading and writing stuff using ByteBuffers rather than the ugliness that pervades that first attempt!

[ … ] Also, I totally re-did all the aiff reading and writing stuff using ByteBuffers rather than the ugliness that pervades that first attempt!

I started doing that to your code as well :slight_smile: I recon that was the source of the issue with the 64MB file in one of the test cases.