Cuckoo Octatrack Tutorial #2 - easy sampling - featuring PO-12 and Mixrasta vinyl

Hello,

yesterday I made a new Octatrack tutorial. I tried to keep it simple, and basic, at the same time explaining a few things. My goal is that new users can get a quick and basic understanding from day one, and get going with some basic sampling. Also it’s featuring sampling from the PO-12 and from an old vinyl record by @mixrasta :slight_smile:
OCTATRACK Tutorial #2 - sampling - YouTube

Many thanks from the aquarium! Rewatched your Analog Keys sequencer tutorial yesterday and have been on the couch with the AK since. Will Octa be next? :slight_smile:

Many thanks from the aquarium! Rewatched your Analog Keys sequencer tutorial yesterday and have been on the couch with the AK since. Will Octa be next? :slight_smile:

Octa is the new Keys :wink: Ha ha… Seriously, I like the Octatrack more and more. Playing slices live I feel is a key to funness.

Looking forward to watching this later, @cuckoo - thanks! I’ve been rather unmusical lately and I keep thinking I should have a play with the Octatrack, so your timing is perfect :slight_smile:

Hey, much enjoyed the vid! Even though I don’t have an Octa I watched the whole one ; ) Good to see my old vinyl in action! Btw I have the same portable record player, it’s a Numark right?

Hey, much enjoyed the vid! Even though I don't have an Octa I watched the whole one ; ) Good to see my old vinyl in action! Btw I have the same portable record player, it's a Numark right?

He he. It’s a chill album! Once in a while it’s nice to remind myself about how nice it is to listen to vinyl mixes. It’s like you can’t mix too hard for vinyls. You have to stay more open… I’ve heard compressed iTunes mixes on vinyls… It can sound really bad. Yes, it’s the cheapest of the Numark’s. The brushed metal top started to come off, so I just cut it up and took it off.

Great tutorial, @cuckoo! I really like how you’ve made it to be as accessible as possible - much appreciated as whenever I’ve had a break from the Octa, I feel I need to relearn it. A 45 min refresher course of the basics is a good way to get back into it. And actually, you go into a good breadth of functionality (sampling directly from two sources, chromatic, metronome, lots of shortcuts, editing, saving, record buffers, bpm - loads of stuff). Also love the appearance of Mix Rasta’s record too! Looks like you really know that thing now - makes me want to invest the time to get up to speed :slight_smile: Big hats off to you cuckoo!

A big “thank you” from me too! Your first one was great and I’m sure this will be too. I’d love this to become a series - you explain things so well.

Thanks @yoof and @5StarNomad :slight_smile:

I know it pretty well now, but I still haven’t used it in a live situation yet. And I haven’t even touched the midi part of it. I imagine using midi for syncing up visuals. Well… this year has been all about animation for me. Today I’ve got 98 scenes done out of 100! Almost there! So my projected cuckoo time is indeed coming closer! My two Octatrack tutorials overlap. I know it better now than when I did the first one, but wanted to focus on the basics rather than covering as much as possible.

I think playing prepared slices is so much fun that I could base a whole live set with just the Octatrack now. :slight_smile: This is what I’m planning to do. Easy travelling one-machine gig coming up next year. I know I’ve asked many times about help for booking gigs, but it’s becoming a reality very soon!

Hey @cuckoo my dear, here is a suggestion for a next tutorial...

If you desire to cover the MIDI side of OT (which I use a LOOOOT, it's so cool to play Shruthi+Volcas+Blofeld and even OP-1), one interesting thing could be, at some point, to show how to create easy sample chains within the OT.
Like : trigger the different sounds you need, one per step, at low speed, in a number that can be easily grid-sliced (say 16 steps for instance)
Then record with synced transport...

Not that hard, but require to master several different aspects of the OT...
Now this is a big workflow enhancer once you master this IMO, so it's worth the pain.
If you can show this in a pedagogical way, hats off !
;)

I’d love a midi-tutorial for Octa. I’ve been desperately trying to make it get along with my Pro 2, but somehow its not working…

Would love some Pro 2 tuts as well, but yeah :slight_smile:

Hey @cuckoo my dear, here is a suggestion for a next tutorial...

If you desire to cover the MIDI side of OT (which I use a LOOOOT, it's so cool to play Shruthi+Volcas+Blofeld and even OP-1), one interesting thing could be, at some point, to show how to create easy sample chains within the OT.
Like : trigger the different sounds you need, one per step, at low speed, in a number that can be easily grid-sliced (say 16 steps for instance)
Then record with synced transport...

Not that hard, but require to master several different aspects of the OT...
Now this is a big workflow enhancer once you master this IMO, so it's worth the pain.
If you can show this in a pedagogical way, hats off !
;)
It's many steps, and since people have a lot of external gear, it's gonna be a mess to explain all of that, ha ha ha. But yeah, it makes sense. One recording, auto slice, done. Do you know if recorder trigs can expire? I don't want the recorder trig to record again, when it loops. I've only tried tecorder trigs a few times, but since I didn't understand how to make them not record the next time, I kind of left them.

Oops

@cuckoo Yes the recorder trigs are actually more powerful than direct recording if you use it correctly, because you use the sync to get rid of further trim sample manipulation.

You have to check what a one-shot trig is. This is the key concept.
Basically, it’s a trig that get activated only when you press YES.
If in grid mode, you activate the one-shot trigs of the current track.
If not, you activate all one-shot trigs of the pattern.
This can be used with regulars trigs for fills, for instance (sample that will get trigged only when YES has been hit)
You can deactivate further one-shot trigs by hitting NO.

In the case of a one-shot record trig, this means you fill your record buffer (set it to 16 steps, or 64 steps) then leave recording automatically.
Then you slice, bang it’s done.
VERY powerful.
:slight_smile: