Curious: how do you play your melodies @ OP-1?

Just curious: how do you guys play your melody @ the OP-1? Playing the notes and record this - free out of your hands? Or do you use one of the sequencer? If so, which one and why?

I use the endless sequencer a lot, otherwise I am recording directly from the keys.

I use the endless sequencer a lot, otherwise I am recording directly from the keys.

+1

all of the above

Finger has been fun recently ,in Join mode for arp like jams or Replace for extended patterns.

Though I selected Endless, I almost just as much punch in the melody straight on the keyboard. When I need different note lengths and values I just can’t be bothered to program the sequencer.

I should play around with Finger more, seems to be a very powerful sequencer.

Principally using the keys for the melodies.
Sometimes I use the endless, and I think I’m gonna try to play around with some of the others on future tracks.

Ok and I use Tombola when I need some Texturzzz. :). I should mess for with he other sequencers. Especially Sketch!!! Might bring out some creativity using the brain with a new sequencer.

I didn’t touch the OP-1’s sequencers much beyond Tombola until this year >.>

Pattern sequencer because I’m an old fart!

Lol^.Even Pattern has hidden depths.

@Spheric_El: what are the hidden depths?

Do you mean hidden features?

Twiddle the green and white (I think) and try with shift aswell.These should move length dividers and also jiggle notes along 16ths (in between dividers).Red and shift to reverse or F<>R.All these can be fun to jam with.
Also comming out of sequencer mode we can transpose most sequencers with keyboard or (in synth/drum mode) octave shift with <> keys.

Not hidden features.Just there’s always unexpected ways of playing even when at first glance seems basic.

I record a phrase to tape. Slice it. Endless sequence it somewhat randomly. And repeat until i can make a phrase of phrases. While I’m doing this I speed the tempo up an octave before sampling and pitch back down in the sampler to get some artifacts. Or intentionally raising the samples gain til it clips again. Each generation of this comes out subtly different.

Nice one @nortone81. Do you have an audio example?

p.s. can’t fully follow what you do. Can you explain a bit more?

Sorry for the vague explanation. This one might be just as bad. I basically approach it like sampling and slicing from a record. But instead of a record I use quick sketches of my own ideas as the source material. The loop may start as one bar. Each generation I may add a bassline over 8 bars or various other sounds. By slicing / rearranging / recording / slicing multiple times the idea gets more and more textured. I also like how flattening what would normally be seperate tracks squahes everything together similar to sidechain pumping. I’ve attached two loops below one is the initial loop the other is a loop rearrange in this method.

I didn’t understand everything, but I get the idea, and it sound great @nortone81 !
Does the loop includes the drums when you resample it ?

@quarentequatre yes it does contain the drums