Custom Firmware on the OP-1

hey, @wavi is the modding part with OS237 a different or does it work the same way as before? had it installed for quiet some time but not with #237.

something to take care of?

Ok it seems to be a problem related to Python 3.8. I downgraded to an earlier version (3.6.9) and now everything works as it should. Yay no more neck straining!

1 Like

I doubt there are any major changes in #237 that would cause issues with the mods. I will have to test to make sure though.

1 Like

Great that you got it working! Good to know that downgrading python helped. I should look into what the issue is with Python 3.8 :thinking:

Can confirm that it does not work with python-3.7.4 but python-3.6.8 on windows!

is used the “Windows x86-64 executable installer” from this site:

1 Like

@wavi
Having similar issue to what @products7074740 had, yet now on op1_241.op1. I do see the boot loader is now 2.27. I’m using Mac OSX, Python 3.6.7 (was on 3.8 originally and downgraded), and op1repacker 0.2.3. Unpacks fine. Modifies apparently with no issues. Repacks with no issues. When I try to update the firmware I get the same error about “missing ustar tag”.

So apparently you’re bootloader got upgraded, but the rest of the OS did not? I really need to get python 3.7 and 3.8 to test this out. Might take a while though…

EDIT:
I just released v0.2.4 of the tool which should fix the python 3.8 issue. The issue was that newer python versions use a different default format for tar archives.
Upgrade to the latest version with the following command:

pip3 install op1repacker --upgrade

this is what I get when checking if the repacker is working…what am I doing wrong?

Nicolais-MBP:~ nicolainitsch$ op1repacker -v
usage: op1repacker [-h] [–options OPTIONS [OPTIONS …]] [–debug]
[–version]
{unpack,modify,repack} path
op1repacker: error: the following arguments are required: action, path
Nicolais-MBP:~ nicolainitsch$

I am somehow caught in a loop between pip3 install op1repacker --upgrade and upgrading pip. I don’t know what I have bee doing wrong. Could really need some help, or someone to send me an custom firmware file…

Nicolais-MBP:~ nicolainitsch$ op1repacker --version

Nicolais-MBP:~ nicolainitsch$ sudo pip3 install op1repacker --upgrade

Password:

WARNING: The directory ‘/Users/nicolainitsch/Library/Caches/pip/http’ or its parent directory is not owned by the current user and the cache has been disabled. Please check the permissions and owner of that directory. If executing pip with sudo, you may want sudo’s -H flag.

WARNING: The directory ‘/Users/nicolainitsch/Library/Caches/pip’ or its parent directory is not owned by the current user and caching wheels has been disabled. check the permissions and owner of that directory. If executing pip with sudo, you may want sudo’s -H flag.

Requirement already up-to-date: op1repacker in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.8/lib/python3.8/site-packages (0.2.4)

Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: svg.path in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.8/lib/python3.8/site-packages (from op1repacker) (4.0.2)

WARNING: You are using pip version 19.2.3, however version 20.0.2 is available.

You should consider upgrading via the ‘pip install --upgrade pip’ command.

Nicolais-MBP:~ nicolainitsch$ pip3 install op1repacker --upgrade

Requirement already up-to-date: op1repacker in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.8/lib/python3.8/site-packages (0.2.4)

Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: svg.path in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.8/lib/python3.8/site-packages (from op1repacker) (4.0.2)

Nicolais-MBP:~ nicolainitsch$ pip install --upgrade pip

Requirement already up-to-date: pip in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages (20.0.2)

Nicolais-MBP:~ nicolainitsch$ pip3 install op1repacker

Requirement already satisfied: op1repacker in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.8/lib/python3.8/site-packages (0.2.4)

Requirement already satisfied: svg.path in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.8/lib/python3.8/site-packages (from op1repacker) (4.0.2)

Nicolais-MBP:~ nicolainitsch$ pip install --upgrade pip

Requirement already up-to-date: pip in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages (20.0.2)

Nicolais-MBP:~ nicolainitsch$ chflags nohidden ~/Library

it kinda looks like u’ve upgraded the repacker to v0.2.4

what happens when u op1repacker -v now?

it says I am still on repacker version 0.1.4, even though I already tried to install 0.2.4 and thought

Nicolais-MBP:~ nicolainitsch$ op1repacker --version

and I thought to have already succeeded in installing 0.2.4

You might have different confliciting versions installed with pip and pip3.
Try this, it should remove all versions of op1repacker on your system:

pip uninstall op1repacker
pip3 uninstall op1repacker
sudo pip uninstall op1repacker
sudo pip3 uninstall op1repacker

Then reinstall it with pip3 and check version:

pip3 install op1repacker
op1repacker --version
1 Like

hey thank you so much, it worked!!! :partying_face:

hint to @wavi and @jakeokay: if you still have access to the Slack we set up way back when: there have been some developments if you’re still interested

2 Likes

what’s going on in there? :100:
highly interested

That’s awesome ! I would really love to edit and put my own graphics like you did @TabascoEye, how can I do this ?
Great work I’m so hyped !

EDIT: OK I just spent 2hours reading the thread, so interesting ! Forget about my question, I’ll figure it out with all the infos already there :wink:

@TabascoEye

Yeah I wanna know too :joy:

1 Like

pretty off-topic right now. But it might lead to things…

1 Like

spread the word my friend…spread the word…:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like