Custom Firmware on the OP-1

And we are basically at 3. and 4.
Unfortunately, the Firmware is obfuscated or crypted in some way, so we can essentially only look at the BootLoader. But the bootloader seems to contain the magic to decrypt the FW.
I have no time to play around with that at the moment and I haven’t heard from @wavi or @jakeokay in a while…

What about building a completely different firmware from the ground up?

And we are basically at 3. and 4.
Unfortunately, the Firmware is obfuscated or crypted in some way, so we can essentially only look at the BootLoader. But the bootloader seems to contain the magic to decrypt the FW.
I have no time to play around with that at the moment and I haven't heard from @wavi or @jakeokay in a while...

How much would we have to pay you to quit school / your job so you can focus on this full time? :stuck_out_tongue:

LOL.

Does anyone here want to buy my old DSP board? It sounds like there is a problem with the accelerometer.

Hi everyone

Fantastic thread, took me a while to read it all but really inspiring. I felt like watching GOT :slight_smile:

A quick question that popped in my mind a while ago but I can’t find anything about it, and here seemed to be the right place :
would it be possible to connect another screen (bigger) to the OP-1 board and get it to work ? (in the same ribbon connector)
I have strictly no idea how displays work, but the OP1 being based on vetor graphics, it sounded feasable…

If not, getting the graphics from the USB connection ?

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

A quick question that popped in my mind a while ago but I can't find anything about it, and here seemed to be the right place :
would it be possible to connect another screen (bigger) to the OP-1 board and get it to work ? (in the same ribbon connector) I have strictly no idea how displays work, but the OP1 being based on vetor graphics, it sounded feasable...

consider the hardware that powers this thing, and the realtime priority of sound over visuals. it’s safe to assume the display parameters and protocol are hardcoded, so merely replacing the display with another has virtually no chance of working. all UI code is under wraps. in a future release it could be that the resources e.g. SVGs etc get encrypted too.

Well, you could build a circuit with a microcontroller that taps into the OP-1 display interface and converts that protocol into whatever you wish, like a HDMI display port, but that is not a trivial project. Recently someone has done that in other to fit a backlit LCD into a Gameboy color…

@Karatamba: Well fun fact - there IS a bigger display already in the OP-1. The actual hardware display inside there is almost twice as big as the window that you get to see. (check this image: http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/PunjiStakes/media/cGF0aDovRFNDMDAwNTFfenBzZmNhOGU1NDIuanBn/?ref=)

I don't think there is a big chance to get what you're looking for.
If you go down the road @punji suggests, the problem is that the data you can grab at the display is already pixel data. So you could grab that, scale it up and show it on a different screen, but it's gonna look ugly as hell.
The "vector display" part of the OP-1 is kind of a lie. The graphics are SVGs but they are rasterized before being displayed on the Pixel-based OLED display.

Your best bet is probably to wait for the OP-Z and it's ability to use external displays...

Hahaha, well, thanks a lot everyone, but I think I’m gonna stick with the original display :smiley: I don’t have the skills to go down any road :slight_smile:

Btw, why is the display that big and half hidden? Cheaper than custom made right size display?

Cheaper than custom made right size display?

yes

Any further developments or did everyone sell their OP-1s for a profit on eBay? :stuck_out_tongue:

Any further developments or did everyone sell their OP-1s for a profit on eBay? :-P

It’s funny 'cos it’s true!

:wink:

Hi all, sorry for being away so long. Haven’t sold my OP-1 and never will :wink:

I’m messing with the FW again. I don’t expect any major things to happen, but I’m now playing with graphics. I might also add a feature to the repacking tool for replacing factory presets.

What I discovered today:
The clips in the tape screen can indeed be moved vertically. There’s two svg elements in the file that specify the location: “track_x5F_active” and “track_x5F_inactive”. For proper results the y-coordinates on both elements must be changed by the same amount. I’m now thinking that I could maybe move the clips to the top of the screen and move everything else down. See:

How accesible and hackable are the graphics in the Tape screen?. I’m sure I’m not the only one that can’t see all the tracks and the cuts when the op-1 it’s laying flat on a table and I’m looking at the screen with the normal angle…
If someone provides me the svg screen I could ergonomize it a bit more… cheerz. s

I’d also like to create nice graphics for “iter” but I haven’t had access to Illustrator so that won’t happen soon.

Well… that almost worked out. But it didn’t :smiley:

tape_gfx_fail

I think TE will never forgive me for doing this…

EDIT:
After some messing around I got this working perfectly. The next task would be adding an option to the repacker for enabling this mod. It won’t be straight forward since I don’t really want to just include the modded svg in the tool…

my god. what have you done.

So cool. Pragmatics > aesthetics(?)

Well, just wanted to see if that was possible. It was annoying to not be able to see all the tracks on the screen from a certain angle.

I’m happy now that I successfully moved the tracks to the top. Works from any angle now :smiley:

@TabascoEye

Out of curiosity, have you found any new stuff in the FW and/or progress with reverse engineering the FW?
Just interested since I had such a long break from the forum and tinkering with the OP-1.
Also I accidentally found your presentation slides via google. The content was great and the slides looked beautiful too!

I’m now implementing a mod for the repacker that changes the FX defaults to be less intensive…

there’s also a video out there but it’s german ;o)
No I haven’t really gotten much further. Didn’t spend enough time in IDA to figure out how/what to write to the special memory to have the OP-1 boot into developer mode…