Custom Firmware on the OP-1

Thanks for the help guys really appreciate your time. But I think I'm gonna leave it! I love my OP1 too much to mess with it :)

TE must have given it a fair amount of thought - should they open up even a little to a software community, and they aren’t open but aren’t strictly shut either (by ignoring this). However, it’s all 100% hacks; not sure if the process voids your warranty, but am also not sure if there’s any way to unbrick it should anything go wrong, and there’s some bootloader mystery already. I’m only certain that there are internal revisions between the different OP1 units for which there’s no public documentation whatsoever, so anyone offering you to send you firmware would be taking on all this risk for something that’s not theirs. If peace of mind is what you’re after, you’ve just made the right call.

@eesn Word!

Fair enough. As you might be able to tell, IDGAF about TE's intellectual property. They're making a killing from the hardware, it seems like it would be in their interest to use the free labour of individuals like yourself to improve the firmware. It would be a pretty smart move to open up the firmware source code, and then use selected user mods to feed back in to the mainline firmware.

Thanks for the info. Some people do care about TEs IP and apparently those are the people doing the reversing and hacking here…

I believe I have written it here, but one last time:
TE is legally not allowed to open source the firmware because the use licensed libraries in there which are not FOSS. Can the discussion about just opening up the Firmware please die down finally in this thread?

Hah... the no boot thing was probably caused by me leaving the svg script in the firmware folder before repacking :/

But after retrying, my tape screen is even more screwed up than your original attempt :P
I'll create a mod for the inverted tape tracks in the near future. I'll do it in a way that doesn't involve TE IP. Stay tuned.
As you might be able to tell, IDGAF about TE's intellectual property
Not so elegant statement dude.
As you might be able to tell, IDGAF about TE's intellectual property
Not so elegant statement dude.

Yeah, maybe. Perhaps I should clarify that: I like TE, and I wish them well. I just don’t care about intellectual property in general. I think it causes more problems than it solves. But I hear what @TabascoEye is saying, and I with shut up about it here :slight_smile:

@naught101
The inverted tape screen is now available in v0.1.4 of op1repacker. I also threw in my moose design because why not. No intellectual property or cows were harmed during development :slight_smile:

@naught101 The inverted tape screen is now available in v0.1.4 of op1repacker. I also threw in my moose design because why not. No intellectual property or cows were harmed during development :)

Siiiick. Great work. I will try it when I get home this evening. Thank you so much!

Sure, this is what I'm currently using on my OP-1. Its fully usable. I also tried making a mashup of the tape screen and ApeTape but that didn't look very good. If I draw a completely custom tape screen I can post that too.

tape_flipped

The screen is basically identical to the original tape except that the tracks are at the top.

Hey buddy, you’re a legend… I’m gonna try to install tonight…

How do you get these sweet screenshots?

Asking for a “friend”.

@naught101 @ludicrouSpeed Let me know how it works out! It’s all been tested on the 225 OS and should work on others too.
I get those “screenshots” by directly opening the SVG file in Gimp and then exporting to a PNG file. So they’re not actual pictures of running the custom OS

Cool!

So far I gave up before I got python installed. I’ll try again.

1 Like

Ok! If you’re on OS X this will help you: https://github.com/op1hacks/op1repacker/blob/master/INSTALL.md

Ooh! Looks promising :slight_smile:

I’m not at my Mac just yet, but keen AF

Ok! If you're on OS X this will help you: https://github.com/op1hacks/op1repacker/blob/master/INSTALL.md

I appreciate your help with this. I think these are the same instructions from earlier in the thread… I did try to follow them, but the initial terminal commands to install homebrew didn’t seem to work :’(

Hey @wavi, the new tape layout is really great. So much less neck straining.

One improvement I would suggest is to move the FX, sequencer, and synth/drums symbols up a little into the empty space below the track indicator, so that the synth/drums are a bit more visible. Probably not totally necessary, but it would mean then that there were no meaningful symbols in the bottom 10-15% of the screen, where it’s hard to read.

@ludicrouSpeed: if you copy and paste the command(s) that failed, along with the error messages (use a pastebin if they’re long, maybe), then we might be able to provide more detailed help.

Hey @wavi, the new tape layout is really great. So much less neck straining.

One improvement I would suggest is to move the FX, sequencer, and synth/drums symbols up a little into the empty space below the track indicator, so that the synth/drums are a bit more visible. Probably not totally necessary, but it would mean then that there were no meaningful symbols in the bottom 10-15% of the screen, where it's hard to read.

@ludicrouSpeed: if you copy and paste the command(s) that failed, along with the error messages (use a pastebin if they're long, maybe), then we might be able to provide more detailed help.

Ok, awesome. Shall do :slight_smile:

Well, the homebrew install is working so far!

Dunno what happened last time, it didn’t seem to work at all… Maybe a firewall or something…

Man, i totes feel like a hacker…

All these commands wizzing by on the terminal…

A large degree of trust I extend to y’all :wink:

I used to work in IT as a sys admin… Started as helpdesk… Never really got into coding, but I feel like it would suit me ok, once I learned the foundations… Just a little aside… I’m basically live tweeting my custom firmware install :wink: