Custom Firmware on the OP-1

Hmm, I installed everything successfully, but I can’t figure out how to do the actual repack…

:’(

I was on such a roll…

I guess I’m not neo after all… Can someone help?
@naught101 @ludicrouSpeed Let me know how it works out! It’s all been tested on the 225 OS and should work on others too.
I get those “screenshots” by directly opening the SVG file in Gimp and then exporting to a PNG file. So they’re not actual pictures of running the custom OS

I messed around enough, now I’m worried I’m gonna mess up some install command…

Basically, I’ve successfully finished these instructions - https://github.com/op1hacks/op1repacker/blob/master/INSTALL.md

Now what? Maybe one more bit of instructions is all I need. I’m on MacOS - high sierra…

Really appreciate help to finish this process… So excited for iter, filter, moose, tapeatthetop, and the subtle fx <3

Ah! Just got home… I just went back a step on the site <a href=“https://github.com/op1hacks/op1repacker/blob/master/INSTALL.md” target="_blank" rel=“nofollow” style=“margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 13px; font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; text-decoration-line: none; color: rgb(66, 157, 168); background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>https://github.com/op1hacks/op1repacker/blob/master/INSTALL.md ie https://github.com/op1hacks/op1repacker and I see a whole bunch of new content I didn’t see before. I feel dumb for having missed this… Stay tuned.

Nup, I’m lost… I’m never gonna get that sweet sweet moose at this stage.

Nup, I'm lost... I'm never gonna get that sweet sweet moose at this stage.

Give the other side of the world time to get home from work :slight_smile:

Nup, I'm lost... I'm never gonna get that sweet sweet moose at this stage.

Give the other side of the world time to get home from work :slight_smile:

I’m not the most patient man. :stuck_out_tongue:

@ludicrouSpeed nice to hear you’re into it and have made good progress!

So if I understand correctly, you completed the steps listed in the INSTALL.md file.
To make sure, open the terminal again and just type in “op1repacker --version” (without the quotes) and press enter. If it’s installed it should print the version “0.1.4”.

If that works here are the steps to create and install the custom firmware file:
  1. Download the original firmware 225 from TE (the download is a zip file so you need to extract it to get the actual .op1 firmware file)
  2. Once you have the file (op1_255.op1) you should place it in a directory that’s easy to find. For the sake of these instructions place it in your home folder (In Finder it’s the one on the left with your username and a little house icon beside).
  3. Now that the file is in your home directory open the terminal, then run “cd ~” (without the quotes). That will navigate you to your home directory within the terminal.
  4. At this point it should be a matter of simply running three commands:
    1. op1repacker unpack op1_225.op1
    2. op1repacker modify op1_225 --options iter filter subtle-fx gfx-iter-lab gfx-tape-invert gfx-cwo-moose
    3. op1repacker repack op1_225
  5. At this point you’re home directory should contain a file called op1_225-repacked.op1 (That is the patched OS file)
  6. To install the custom firmware just follow the same steps as when installing an official new OS:
    1. Power off the OP-1
    2. Hold COM key and power on the OP-1
    3. Press 1 for firmware update
    4. Connect OP-1 to computer. It should show up as a removable disk.
    5. Copy the repacked firmware file from the computer to the OP-1
    6. Press the COM key
    7. Wait for the OP-1 to install the firmware
    8. Restart your OP-1 and enjoy!
I tried to include all the little details, hopefully this helps. Drop a message if you need more info!

1 Like

@wavi

Thankyou so much! Thanks to all your hard work, and detailed instructions, I successfully installed the repacked firmware…

My main brain-fart was that it didn’t occur to me that the firmware needed to be edited (repacked) outside of the OP-1 and then installed… If I had have twigged to that, the existing instructions on github would have got me through…

Anyways, I’m SO STOKED! Not only do I have the iter (with the cool graphics), and filter to play with for the first time, but the subtle fx and inverted tape are super practical.

I had a quick play with filter, and I’m pretty excited about how dirty the drive sounds.

@ludicrouSpeed no prob, great to hear you got it! Nice touch with the last line in your terminal, and welcome aboard the custom firmware boat :smiley:

Hey @wavi, the new tape layout is really great. So much less neck straining.

One improvement I would suggest is to move the FX, sequencer, and synth/drums symbols up a little into the empty space below the track indicator, so that the synth/drums are a bit more visible. Probably not totally necessary, but it would mean then that there were no meaningful symbols in the bottom 10-15% of the screen, where it's hard to read.

Yeah, that could sure be worth trying out. The FX symbol is weird though, seems like it’s never even shown in the OP-1. I tried turning on the master effect and also playing the synth with an effect and I can’t get the symbol to show up.

Hey @wavi I think I’m going to take the plunge soon and get this custom fw running. Thanks for all your hard work.

Just wondering, how difficult would it be to hide the stock patches from being displayed? I would love to have an empty OP1 rather than have all the stock folders

Hey @wavi I think I'm going to take the plunge soon and get this custom fw running. Thanks for all your hard work.

Just wondering, how difficult would it be to hide the stock patches from being displayed? I would love to have an empty OP1 rather than have all the stock folders

I highly, reccomend it :slight_smile: even if it was just for the inverted tape screen. It’s not so aesthetically pleasing, but the functionality is soooo much more comfortable.

That’s an interesting idea… It would be even better if you could actually clear that space, huh? But I bet it’s not possible… Yeah, that would enable you to have a fully personalised collection…

I have not visited this thread for a long time and thie work achieved so far is tremendous !
Do you guys plan to remove the patch number limit some time ? Or it is hardcoded into the OP1 and hardly editable ?

@MirEko it is possible. To make it comfortable, @wavi would need to implement a diff for the SQLlite Databases into his modification tool and one possible mod would then be "no factory presets" by just deleting the entries in the right table in OP1_factory.db

BUT it would not leave more space for your own presets because that limit is hardcoded @ludicouSpeed and @jazzmess.

So I guess using your own presets as the "factory" ones would make more sense?
@MirEko it is possible. To make it comfortable, @wavi would need to implement a diff for the SQLlite Databases into his modification tool and one possible mod would then be "no factory presets" by just deleting the entries in the right table in OP1_factory.db

BUT it would not leave more space for your own presets because that limit is hardcoded @ludicouSpeed and @jazzmess.

So I guess using your own presets as the "factory" ones would make more sense?

Very cool, I don’t care about more preset space. Would just like the factory content removed :slight_smile:

Yeah, swapping factory presets with custom presets is on the roadman (in my head) but I haven’t started doing that yet. Like @TabascoEye said removing the presets won’t free up any space so it’d make more sense to swap them with custom presets. I think it has a limit of 16 factory patches per engine.

The next thing I’ll do though is add presets for ITER so that it’ll show up in the normal synth preset lists. If anyone wants to contribute ITER patches please upload them to op1.fun and share them here: https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/3981/looking-for-patches-for-the-iter-synth#latest

1 Like
Yeah, swapping factory presets with custom presets is on the roadman (in my head) but I haven't started doing that yet. Like @TabascoEye said removing the presets won't free up any space so it'd make more sense to swap them with custom presets. I think it has a limit of 16 factory patches per engine.

The next thing I'll do though is add presets for ITER so that it'll show up in the normal synth preset lists. If anyone wants to contribute ITER patches please upload them to op1.fun and share them here: https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/3981/looking-for-patches-for-the-iter-synth#latest

Ooh cool. I got a nice iter patch

Yes 16 patches per engine seems hardcoded as well, I tested that and did not achieve more than 16. (Which would really save "space" for more user patches)

1 Like
Yeah, swapping factory presets with custom presets is on the roadman (in my head) but I haven't started doing that yet. Like @TabascoEye said removing the presets won't free up any space so it'd make more sense to swap them with custom presets. I think it has a limit of 16 factory patches per engine.

The next thing I'll do though is add presets for ITER so that it'll show up in the normal synth preset lists. If anyone wants to contribute ITER patches please upload them to op1.fun and share them here: https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/3981/looking-for-patches-for-the-iter-synth#latest

I need to come up with an iter patch… I’d be stoked if mine made the cut! Haha.

Ooh cool. I got a nice iter patch

I guess a thing that could work would be to replace the .raw drum samples inside factory_drum for your sets BUT respecting the original names (acetate.raw, etc…)

Other advantage about removing them it’s theoretically a reduced boot time For what I did read…

I just checked the Modded Fw and I’m loving it, Specially the new “ergonomic” display.

I would love to contribute by expanding a bit the width of the tracks and raise a little bit the alpha level or color to make them a bit more visible when they aren’t selected. IT could be useful for livesets where you want to know if the next song its 1 bar or 4… and if there are empty tracks

Greetings!

Ser