Delay similar to OP-1's

So i’ve recently quite enjoy using OP1’s delay on master to play some sort of hypnogogic drift style music. Basics: you set feedback to infinite, time to your liking, and start dropping in notes one afther the other, until it becomes partially a melodic mess, and while song progresses, some earlier notes start to blur out, and so it evolves, as you continue to drop notes in. I’ve been thinking to get an external delay to do similar stuff. I was thinking about Boss DD-7 as it is stereo + have tons of modes, but when I checked the review, noticed one important thing: digital reverbs repeat exact copy of the sound, and it fades out by making it more silent; analog reverbs not only make it more silent, but also kind of filter out some higher pitches to make sound darker. And I think i need a delay with the traits of analog one. I think i’ll also check stymon’s pedals, as was extremely pleased with BigSky recently, but would also like to hear what you guys think on this topic

Important to note, that I need delay with rather long hold (20+ secs)

strymon elCapistan will do what you ask for. only 12sec (i think) hold though. it does degrade/filter the sound quite a bit (over time), sometimes more than you would like - but it sounds bloody gorgeous

I was on the same mission as you to find an external equivalent and that’s what I settled with. maybe the timeline offers you a longer hold?
strymon elCapistan will do what you ask for. only 12sec (i think) hold though. it does degrade/filter the sound quite a bit (over time), sometimes more than you would like - but it sounds bloody gorgeous

I was on the same mission as you to find an external equivalent and that's what I settled with. maybe the timeline offers you a longer hold?

Yeah, I’m watching through strymon videos and El Capistan and Timeline is something i’d settle with. I’m affraid to buy Timeline because I might start wanting to buy Mobius next, lol. But yeah, Timeline offers something up to 30-40 seconds of looper*, which is interesting. Not sure about hold, but number should be quite big. Midi-IN for Timeline is a big “PRO” for me, considering I have midiclock rolling in my setup, and I know that it’s kind of hard to find good FX pedals with MIDI.

A really good cheap (usually) one for exactly that is the the Ibanez DE7. It’s ugly as hell and only mono in, but really is gritty for long feedback stuff. It’s got a bit of cult status in the last few years, but you can still pick them up under $50 if you’re patient. It was my first delay pedal and I went through a stack after it (DL4, Zooms, Seymour Duncan, RE20, DD7, Flashback) and it still makes it way back onto my board.

You have BigSky? It has Magneto mode that simulates tape echo. Is that different from what you 're looking for?

You have BigSky? It has Magneto mode that simulates tape echo. Is that different from what you 're looking for?

Gotta check it out more precisely, as I havent used presets other than cloud\chorale\shimmer. Listening to a demo right now and it’s more of a tape echo, and i need more of a tape delay type sound, with more distinct repetitions. Gotta test it out with different presets, thought,

Gotta check it out more precisely, as I havent used presets other than cloud\chorale\shimmer. Listening to a demo right now and it’s more of a tape echo, and i need more of a tape delay type sound, with more distinct repetitions. Gotta test it out with different presets, thought,

What’s the difference between tape echo and tape delay?

What’s the difference between tape echo and tape delay?

Now when you asked I also got a bit confused that I used these terms too. In essence, both are technically the same, I was mostly referring to a reverb-ish delays under “tape echo”, when “tape delay” is more “repeat stuff i played” type. Rather about subjective sound character, rather some technical differences.

What do you mean by “hold”?

I use the boomerang chorus*delay. Not a very popular pedal, but it’s analogue style tape delay mode is pretty killer. You can set the feedback to over 100% too… There’s probably better ones out there, and the rang ain’t so cheap.

What do you mean by "hold"?

I use the boomerang chorus*delay. Not a very popular pedal, but it’s analogue style tape delay mode is pretty killer. You can set the feedback to over 100% too… There’s probably better ones out there, and the rang ain’t so cheap.

hold - basically how long it can play until going silent. I’m talking about endless decay probably. In reverb pedal it’s called “freeze” but not sure about delay pedals.

I think traditionally delays use the term “feedback” to refer to the volume of output going back to the input. Since BigSky is a reverb pedal, the knob that controls feedback for Magneto is labeled “pre-delay”. You can dial it most of the way up, dial diffusion all the way down and it will give you exactly what you described - a delay that doesn’t get quieter, but rather gets “washed out” like something got re-recorded on a tape multiple times.

Also…

I havent used presets other than cloud\chorale\shimmer.

IMO, even if you just do ambient music most algorithms on BigSky are worth experimenting with.

Yeah, I'm watching through strymon videos and El Capistan and Timeline is something i'd settle with. I'm affraid to buy Timeline because I might start wanting to buy Mobius next, lol. But yeah, Timeline offers something up to 30-40 seconds of looper*, which is interesting. Not sure about hold, but number should be quite big. Midi-IN for Timeline is a big "PRO" for me, considering I have midiclock rolling in my setup, and I know that it's kind of hard to find good FX pedals with MIDI.

Timeline is an amazing pedal. If you aren’t after something cheap specifically, and have considered it previously, I think it’s a worthy investment. It has pretty nice tape and bucket sims, and the ice and pattern algos are great fun too. It’s much more of a delay than BigSky’s magneto is. I think it is possible to stop before a Mobius :slight_smile: but do ask me again in a year …

Yeah, I'm watching through strymon videos and El Capistan and Timeline is something i'd settle with. I'm affraid to buy Timeline because I might start wanting to buy Mobius next, lol. But yeah, Timeline offers something up to 30-40 seconds of looper*, which is interesting. Not sure about hold, but number should be quite big. Midi-IN for Timeline is a big "PRO" for me, considering I have midiclock rolling in my setup, and I know that it's kind of hard to find good FX pedals with MIDI.

Timeline is an amazing pedal. If you aren’t after something cheap specifically, and have considered it previously, I think it’s a worthy investment. It has pretty nice tape and bucket sims, and the ice and pattern algos are great fun too. It’s much more of a delay than BigSky’s magneto is. I think it is possible to stop before a Mobius :slight_smile: but do ask me again in a year …

Yeah, I was using BigSky’s Magneto in recent jams and considering that im going Eurorack and Strymon released Magneto as a rack delay - I would probably get it in a while - when main rack is completed.