Digital noise from mic to tape

Still running the final beta, the public one. Started on a battle track, recording from mic to tape track 1 to get a vocal loop together. Getting some pretty bad noise when hit record. It’s kind of metronomic in rhythm. No fx on. Nothing plugged in except headphones. No metronome etc. Checked in Synth and don’t get the noise when sampling from the mic there. Any ideas/everyone have same issue? As much as I love OP it’s this bread and butter stuff that sucks… In same session also had a phantom click on one of the tracks in a space with nothing recorded on it. Ugh… How have TE not fixed this kind of stuff yet… Or maybe they have and I need to update to the final OS release :wink:

Ground loop? Maybe try one of these? https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B019393MV2

Ground loop? Maybe try one of these? https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B019393MV2

Thanks for the link I’ll check it out. Wouldn’t a ground loop be audible when sampling in to both Tape and Synth tho? I only get this when recording mic in to Tape. And I have nothing connected except headphones. There’s a definite rhythmic thing with the noise. Wondering if has anything to do with the OP sync functions? Altho when I turn up the metronome it isn’t in sync with the noise, so guessing it’s unrelated to that.

Rhythmic synced to the track BPM? I had this issue pre-update, really disappointing if not addressed.

Rhythmic synced to the track BPM? I had this issue pre-update, really disappointing if not addressed.

Not sure if it’s synced to bpm, at least not to tape transport metronome. Will check properly tomoro. But the noise definitely had a rhythmic thing to it. And only apparent when I actually hit record and tape running. Monitoring mic while tape is playing (not recording) is fine with no abnormal noise.

Can anyone on the final current release please check to see if same thing happening there? If its not then I’ll update and see if that fixes it. Thanks

bump

Can other users record from mic straight to a tape track (with mic recording level high) without getting a very noticeable kind of rhythmic digital noise? If so, which OS are you on? I’ll try to update to final current OS ASAP and see if it helps.
Like I mentioned, the noise only kicks in after I press record. And doesn’t happen when I record from mic in to the synth/drum sampler. Only happens when record on tape (with mic).
Thanks to anyone that checks :slight_smile:

AFAIK there has always been a digital rhythmic noise in the background when recording from the built-in mic – IIRC it’s due to electrical interference from the CPU and thus isn’t something that can be fixed in an update. I’m sure it’s been discussed here before but I can’t find the thread.

It sucks because it sort of makes the mic useless, which is frustrating since it’s so fun to use! If you plug an external mic into the input you shouldn’t have this problem at all. Way less fun, but hopefully an okay workaround.
AFAIK there has always been a digital rhythmic noise in the background when recording from the built-in mic -- IIRC it's due to electrical interference from the CPU and thus isn't something that can be fixed in an update. I'm sure it's been discussed here before but I can't find the thread.

It sucks because it sort of makes the mic useless, which is frustrating since it's so fun to use! If you plug an external mic into the input you shouldn't have this problem at all. Way less fun, but hopefully an okay workaround.

Thanks for reply/info. Yeah I remember seeing talk about noise stuff before but thought it was normally usb related. Must have missed the mic related threads. And just seems weird that I don’t get the noise when sampling in to a synth or drumkit. Only when I sample/record mic on to tape, soon as I hit record the noise is there. I’ll check it out again tonight and make sure I pinpointed/described the issue accurately. Pretty lame if it’s ‘just how it is’ tho. Not sure how TE let it slip through when choosing parts/designing the unit?? Such a weird piece of hardware. Nails so many creative uses but totally screws up the basics!? Roll on OP2…

Just confirmed on my unit, OS 218. Can hear a faint metronome click + noise, only in tape. Odd to say the least.

The mic is only “useless” when tape rolling though. From memory, mic into sampler with tape stopped is fine.

Just confirmed on my unit, OS 218. Can hear a faint metronome click + noise, only in tape. Odd to say the least.

Thanks for checking there. Shame it looks like it’s the norm :confused:

The mic is only "useless" when tape rolling though. From memory, mic into sampler with tape stopped is fine.

Yeah that was my finding here too when I encountered it. Haven’t had time to go back and check it out properly yet. Maybe someone with tech knowledge can enlighten us why its only happening when recording mic to tape? Is it cos the cpu is taxed/working harder (and therefore louder?) in that situation recording to tape than when sampling mic in to sampler?

The mic is far from the main board and the output signal runs unshielded. I think the interference is always there but the processing routine is not the same for each case mentioned above, i.e., the sampler has a noise gate that shuts it off. Why? Only TE knows…

AFAIK there has always been a digital rhythmic noise in the background when recording from the built-in mic -- IIRC it's due to electrical interference from the CPU and thus isn't something that can be fixed in an update. I'm sure it's been discussed here before but I can't find the thread.

It sucks because it sort of makes the mic useless, which is frustrating since it's so fun to use! If you plug an external mic into the input you shouldn't have this problem at all. Way less fun, but hopefully an okay workaround.

Thanks for reply/info. Yeah I remember seeing talk about noise stuff before but thought it was normally usb related. Must have missed the mic related threads. And just seems weird that I don’t get the noise when sampling in to a synth or drumkit. Only when I sample/record mic on to tape, soon as I hit record the noise is there. I’ll check it out again tonight and make sure I pinpointed/described the issue accurately. Pretty lame if it’s ‘just how it is’ tho. Not sure how TE let it slip through when choosing parts/designing the unit?? Such a weird piece of hardware. Nails so many creative uses but totally screws up the basics!? Roll on OP2…

My understanding of it is that when the tape is active it’s doing a lot more streaming of audio data, which makes whatever is causing the problem kick in. I might be mistaken though! :wink:

The mic is far from the main board and the output signal runs unshielded. I think the interference is always there but the processing routine is not the same for each case mentioned above, i.e., the sampler has a noise gate that shuts it off. Why? Only TE knows...

Seems super amateur/cheap design move - ‘hey, here’s a mic to use :slight_smile: Oh, didn’t we mention it’s useless in some ways? Oh well, nice looking synth huh’. Lame… Great design is functional and solves problems. Not sure OP1 really deserves all the praise it gets in that dept :wink: It’s a killer creative box and a keeper but it’s plagued by all these pretty basic/fundamental issues.

experiencing exactly the same problem here - only happens when recording straight to tape and not in sampler mode. at first thought it was picking up the noise of a watch nearby as the rhythm of the noise was almost 60bpm but after removing everything in the room ended up with the same background cyclic noise. for info i’m using OS #218. not quite sure what can be done about it except recording as hot as possible so the noise is more in the background. not ideal for recording delicate sounds though…

Well, good to know it’s only in tape… I noticed this noise when I first got my OP… But I’m concerned about this sort of stuff https://youtu.be/e4F9Gz__TIU

Yeah, a few rough edges on the op-1. Guess they’ve been there since release? Seems to be ‘like it or lump it’ kind of deal. Makes it feel amateur/overpriced but til someone else makes a more pro equivalent I guess we’re stuck with 'em :{