Digital vs. Analog Pedal Guitar Effects (going MIDI)

Ya that’s awesome, it allows the user to make those tape delays. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NB5jB3MCczM

I can barely find videos with synths and pedals. Has anyone spotted any on the tube?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TAS1ciMyfWE

The cool thing about an analog delay is the sort of unpredictable nature of the degradation and feedback - it will go weird places. The Malekko I use a lot with my Brute has this modulation thing, which at the right depth and a short delay time is almost like an additional detuned oscillator. It’s weird and super fat.

That said, I would kill for a Big Sky. Very high on my GAS list. Seems to be the holy grail of big, juicy reverbs/delays.

id kill for an el capistan. that old school tape delay vinyl fireplace crackle warbbbllll. ooohhh also the instant lofi junky for the detuned chorus!!! i love the old school tape / vinyl sound.

@wingo, that’s what I’m beginning to here in video demos. Do you have any videos with the Brute?

The cool thing about an analog delay is the sort of unpredictable nature of the degradation and feedback - it will go weird places. The Malekko I use a lot with my Brute has this modulation thing, which at the right depth and a short delay time is almost like an additional detuned oscillator. It's weird and super fat.

That said, I would kill for a Big Sky. Very high on my GAS list. Seems to be the holy grail of big, juicy reverbs/delays.

There’s a guy on YouTube named xen multigrin doing really cool drone/soundscape stuff with just a MicroBrute, KP3, a delay (Eventide Timefactor) and reverb (Eventide Space). I imagine adding a Big Sky would see you well :smiley:

@wingo, that's what I'm beginning to here in video demos. Do you have any videos with the Brute?

I’ve never really gotten around to doing videos, but I’m thinking of starting once I get fully settled into my new hardware-only routine. Some of those xen multigrin videos mentioned above are pretty decent.

Just got the Minibrute SE in! It’s very powerful and dynamic, and when I run it through Lives Ping Pong Delay and Reverb it goes off into another world. I guess I’ll need to sync lives BPM, because it tends to get a little muddy.

I won a TC Electronics Ditto looper from the bay for $65 and bought that ibanez analog ES-2 echo shifter on Reverb.com for $100. I kinda feel like I should’ve just got the TC Electronics Flashback instead because it has a looper and delay all in one. It’s got true bypass and apparently made of digital and analog components… So hybrid? The reason being, that I want things all-in-one is because of the lack of space in my tiny room. Oooff But we’ll see how much I’ll like the Ibanez analog pedal, maybe it’ll open me up to another dimension.

The new brute’s sequencer is super fun too with several patterns and swings to choose from. I know people complained about taking the arpeggiator out, but to me, between the sequencer and modulators, it can pretty much sound like an arpeggiator anyways, right?

I’m wondering how people are getting around the monophonic and tweaking it to sound more poly/chorus.

imo, programming the sequencing is similar enough to making one’s own “arp” it isn’t worth fussing about. it just might take a bit longer.

more poly/chorus, that’s either an effect (delay can be used, or a chorus), or maybe creatively mixing the oscillator waves and modifiers?

the TC stuff is pure digital in delay generation, it isn’t a hybrid really. It just doen’t convert the original signal to digital ever, so it mixes the delay in with your original signal at the end.

Ah, thanks for clarifying @krism Are there are any good modulation/fx apps out there?

http://youtu.be/4LJ-rUziBos

Looks fun huh?

There’s Brute LFO but its range is something ludicrously useless sounding, like -/+ .5V lol…

AUFX stuff is nice for delay and reverb. Seeing how it’s a mono you could always run it through one of the many guitar amp sim apps out there, and don’t (or do! >:) ) use an amp. Mobile POD is free.

I like proguitarshop.com’s Alter Ego over the Flashback, the two algos it has different sound really good to me.

I didn’t see a looper on the Alter Ego.

The challenge for me now is to find a CV gate expression pedal for a deal.

Ah, thanks for clarifying @krism Are there are any good modulation/fx apps out there?

http://youtu.be/4LJ-rUziBos

Looks fun huh?

Ah, good ol’ Derek Jones! I think he’s tried just about every app for sending CV modulation to MicroBrute - Brute LFO, Trigger Box, etc. He’s on the iPad Musician FB group if you wanna come hang.

As far as iPad effects apps, I seem to be using AUFX’s delay and reverb apps the most. Had a go at Swoopster once and boy that sucker can get BRUTAL in a hurry. All of Holderness Media’s FX apps are popular with the iPad crowd. Turnado is also good.

Hats off to ya @governorsilver, I will investigate those apps soon and also lurk on the FB group.

I just got my Ditto Looper in and am a little hesitant of how I should plug the brute into this.

So uhhh… Can I just use trs cables from the brute> looper pedal> audio interface? Or the chain need mono cables, because judging from patch cables online- they look mono, right?

TS cables would be my choice for any mono instrument, though TRS might work anyway.

Ya TS, is what I’ve been catching on other forums as well, but I’ve only got one 8’ TS cable at the moment, doh! Maybe I’ll scavenge through amazon.

I’m bummed that this pedal can’t run on 9v battery because, look how tiny and cute this pedal is
note: I have girl like hands :frowning:

So I was never into effects then I met the Big Sky and said wow! I think it is quite incredible. I wanted a delay to match and strymon’ timeline is the obvious partner. BUT I love my Korg ssd 3000 pedal. non sequitur me…

Dammit the pedal doesn’t power up. Fiddlesticks!

@dimi3 ya from what’ve heard on the tube- it sounds phenomenal. It’s analog right? I only wish I could afford that or any of their pedals. I’ve seen the ssd 3000 pedal on sweetwater and it looks like it’s built fairly well, metal face plate, plastic housing? I like all the i/o compatibilities- does it have looper?

no the 3000 doesnt.

it’s also a digital delay, but supposed to be one of those “magical” digitals