Digital vs. Analog Pedal Guitar Effects (going MIDI)

Dammit the pedal doesn't power up. Fiddlesticks!

@dimi3 ya from what’ve heard on the tube- it sounds phenomenal. It’s analog right? I only wish I could afford that or any of their pedals. I’ve seen the ssd 3000 pedal on sweetwater and it looks like it’s built fairly well, metal face plate, plastic housing? I like all the i/o compatibilities- does it have looper?

This might be an obvious question, but do you have the correct spec’d power supply?

9V, 100 mA min, center negative 2.1mm pin

Dammit the pedal doesn't power up. Fiddlesticks!

@dimi3 ya from what’ve heard on the tube- it sounds phenomenal. It’s analog right? I only wish I could afford that or any of their pedals. I’ve seen the ssd 3000 pedal on sweetwater and it looks like it’s built fairly well, metal face plate, plastic housing? I like all the i/o compatibilities- does it have looper?

This might be an obvious question, but do you have the correct spec’d power supply?

9V, 100 mA min, center negative 2.1mm pin

All I know is that it has a 9v output ha… Should the specs match exactly? Thanks for chiming in. FreshPants makes me think of Newly changed Depends :slight_smile:

some pedals won’t power on unless you plug a cable into the input. Pretty sure my TC pedals are like this.

I tried both Trs and TS, nothing. Sound just passes through, it’s basically serving as a cable extender for my 18’ of cable.

Ok, now I feel like an idiot because this connector tip adapter thing was on the end. Oddly enough it was attached to a tip the exact same size, but different color. What’s with all this gizmos doodad Lincoln log trickery!? I tell ya, what’s the meaning of this?? Ha, anyways it powers now.

Is it normal to be feeling like a monkey/primate using my bare foot on the pedal? I feel like I always need to be wearing shoes working the pedal.

#gettingbacktoroots #homosapien #firsteveroperator-1hashtag

Heh, good deal. My guess is the red tip reverses polarity, and ghe power supply is already tip negative. I find that stepping on pedals barefoot makes me feel as you described. Especially the ditto, since there’s a lot of little steps involved (double step etc). Monkeys monkeys.

@dimi3 ya from what've heard on the tube- it sounds phenomenal. It's analog right? I only wish I could afford that or any of their pedals. I've seen the ssd 3000 pedal on sweetwater and it looks like it's built fairly well, metal face plate, plastic housing? I like all the i/o compatibilities- does it have looper?

It’s a digital - thats how you get those crisp, clean repeats - and is best known as the sound of The Edge (U2, from Joshua Tree album onwards). It’s the “Streets Have No Name” sound.

The original was a rack mount unit. Korg shrunk it into a pedal, but also updated the design as described on the website:

In addition to specifications that will satisfy SDD-3000 users, it provides many new functions such as eight delay types, long delay times up to 4,000 milliseconds, selectable modulation waveforms, stereo input/output, and MIDI compatibility. The user interface has also been updated for dramatically improved ease of use. - See more at: http://www.korg.com/us/products/effects/sdd3000_pedal/#sthash.YhbqeTsl.dpuf

What they kept from the original rack-mount design was the preamp, filter circuit, and modulation.

Pretty sure I read that the preamp in the SDD-3000 pedal is supposed to emulate the rack’s preamp, which makes sense given the length of time that has passed. But as long as it sounds good, who cares? :slight_smile:

@kites

just get the Ditto X2 it’s for barefoots. Effects are reduced but cool as Fuck! Reverse/Half Speed/dedicated Stop + Two 9v blocks to put in and usb for Back up and Updates + Stereo in/out. Tight as Usual. Love IT!
@dimi3 ya from what've heard on the tube- it sounds phenomenal. It's analog right? I only wish I could afford that or any of their pedals. I've seen the ssd 3000 pedal on sweetwater and it looks like it's built fairly well, metal face plate, plastic housing? I like all the i/o compatibilities- does it have looper?

It’s a digital - thats how you get those crisp, clean repeats - and is best known as the sound of The Edge (U2, from Joshua Tree album onwards). It’s the “Streets Have No Name” sound.

The original was a rack mount unit. Korg shrunk it into a pedal, but also updated the design as described on the website:

In addition to specifications that will satisfy SDD-3000 users, it provides many new functions such as eight delay types, long delay times up to 4,000 milliseconds, selectable modulation waveforms, stereo input/output, and MIDI compatibility. The user interface has also been updated for dramatically improved ease of use. - See more at: http://www.korg.com/us/products/effects/sdd3000_pedal/#sthash.YhbqeTsl.dpuf

What they kept from the original rack-mount design was the preamp, filter circuit, and modulation.

Sorry I meant to ask if the Strymon big sky reverb pedal was analog. It’s sounds luscious and heavenly from the YouTube viddys.

Can anyone give me tips on how to sync my Ditto Looper with other gear ( volca beats, abelton,etc.) it has a mini usb jack but I doubt it sends midi.

as far as I know, the USB port is for firmwares. I don’t think the Ditto, meant to be a simple looper, is syncable to anything =/

@kites

just get the Ditto X2 it's for barefoots. Effects are reduced but cool as Fuck! Reverse/Half Speed/dedicated Stop + Two 9v blocks to put in and usb for Back up and Updates + Stereo in/out. Tight as Usual. Love IT!

I think that’s another good option.

as far as I know, the USB port is for firmwares. I don't think the Ditto, meant to be a simple looper, is syncable to anything =/

Bummer, I guess it’s really a live performance deal
Maybe I should’ve went with the Flashback X4 with midi I/O

Found this fantastic chart of looper devices that reads very well and helpful info. Time to dig.
http://www.looproom.com/looperchart.php

there’s an Alter Ego X4 now, too, worth looking into. Flashback X4 with some different delay algos. proguitarshop.com’s exclusive version

Oh that’s the one you mentioned earlier! But I had saw the smaller version. Thanks for that krisM

np. I bought my Alter Ego before the bigger X4 came out =( I asked them if they were doing any more collabs and was told “lol no!” -_-

Lame of them. It’s pretty big pedal though right? I think I’d like to go more compact- maybe something like this http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JamManSoloXT

There’s no midi, but you could set the tempo. Hmmm, not sure if this might be more of a hassle to sync up with other gear.