Digital vs. Analog Pedal Guitar Effects (going MIDI)

i don’t know that compact + MIDI exists in a looper :frowning:

Not even a cv gate option? Ha

I keep reading how users have drifting issues with their midi pedals. Hmmm so many options, but sooo many errors to follow.

From what I’ve been gathering, a lot of midi pedals tend to drift off. A few forums have stated this. So if this is the case then I thought- I should use an ipad app or Lives looper device to really stay in sync. For more novelty purposes, why don’t I get one of those iRig pedals too? Eh?

Sorry I meant to ask if the Strymon big sky reverb pedal was analog. It’s sounds luscious and heavenly from the YouTube viddys.

It’s digital. You can’t achieve the kind of sounds that the BigSky can do with analog techology.

The only analog reverb pedal you can get is a spring reverb pedal. Other analog reverbs are simply not portable. Remember the original purpose of reverb is to make you sound like you’re playing in a different room than the one you’re actually in.

Don’t fear reverb pedals just because they’re digital. :wink:

@governorsilver, dimi3 and I were just chatting about how great the BigSky and the korg 3000 something pedal are. There’s no way I could splurge on a BigSky on my budget, but I mentioned earlier in the thread that I had bought an Ibanez echo shifter analog delay pedal already, and it should be in my arms shortly :slight_smile:

I don’t fear digital; especially now that I know the BigSky is digital. Too bad I ain’t got coin for that though :confused:

Although, now that I’m thinking about the ibanezs’ reviews and the fact that it’s analog, I fear I’d eventually sell it or it’ll kill over (happened to several reviewers on amazon) and most likely I’ll end up getting a digital delay pedal anyways. But we shall see when it comes and I give it a play around. I’m excited to add an additional analog piece to my rig.

I was thinking of foot controller like this:
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/442101.html
Anyone have experience with these type of controllers?
I've opened up another can of worms....

I think that Loopy HD works with that controller.

Too bad this isn’t out yet. Check out the outputs!

http://www.positivegrid.com/bt4/

You can link the ditto looper with timing. IT takes practice but it how most people i know use loopers. eventually you can link multiple loopers just with your timing! its alot of fun!

@governorsilver, dimi3 and I were just chatting about how great the BigSky and the korg 3000 something pedal are. There's no way I could splurge on a BigSky on my budget, but I mentioned earlier in the thread that I had bought an Ibanez echo shifter analog delay pedal already, and it should be in my arms shortly :)

I don’t fear digital; especially now that I know the BigSky is digital. Too bad I ain’t got coin for that though :confused:

Although, now that I’m thinking about the ibanezs’ reviews and the fact that it’s analog, I fear I’d eventually sell it or it’ll kill over (happened to several reviewers on amazon) and most likely I’ll end up getting a digital delay pedal anyways. But we shall see when it comes and I give it a play around. I’m excited to add an additional analog piece to my rig.

I was just teasing about “fearing the digital”. :wink:

I do remember your earlier post about Ibanez echo shifter. Let us know how you get on with it.

BTW, my favorite analog reverbs so far - that I’ve used - no studio reverb can be the real thing, coming at you from 360 degrees:

- Storm drain tunnel under a street overpass with a bike trail running through it. Lovely natural reverbration there.
- Luce Center at Smithsonian American Art Museum - it’s a lovely hall in its own wing of the 3rd floor - less “extreme” sounding than the tunnel but still quite nice.

You can link the ditto looper with timing. IT takes practice but it how most people i know use loopers. eventually you can link multiple loopers just with your timing! its alot of fun!

You’re right. I’m able to loop in time, but it drifts off after about a minute- disrupting the creative flow and joy of it :frowning:

It’s relatively easy to play in time with a looper as a musician playing a live instrument, you subconsciously adjust to your loops as if you’re playing with other people. It’s much harder to sync a recorded loop to a MIDI instrument that is running off a sequencer. Ideally you want a quantising looper. Octatrack, Loopy HD, some of the Boss stuff iirc, maybe some of the TCs though I have not explored my Alter Ego for looping tbh.

Ya, but I figured if all the gear (including the looper pedal) is running midi through the same interface,
( eg. OG iconnecmidi) to begin with, then I could just let loose right?

I’m thinking of this setup because it would be a natural, but easy way to record into a daw in the long run.

I think it really depends on the looper. Some of them with MIDI In, the only MIDI they use is for control, ie start, stop, record, etc.

Weird I feel like my posts are sticking.

Anyways, I think I’ll end up using that iRig foot controller with Loopy. Hopefully it records into Cubasis seamlessly. Does anyone know of an other good Looper Apps?

@governorsilver, your analog reverb examples are enlightening and conjure up some ideas I’d like to try. Maybe I’ll bring my kalimba to a storm drain tunnel.

Do you bring your Op-1 along with an amp into those reverb environments?

I don’t know of anything that beats Loopy HD or even comes close and it’s 50% off atm. It also has MIDI clock sync, and AudioBus (Cubasis is supposed to have excellent AudioBus support).

Awesome!

@governorsilver, your analog reverb examples are enlightening and conjure up some ideas I'd like to try. Maybe I'll bring my kalimba to a storm drain tunnel.

Do you bring your Op-1 along with an amp into those reverb environments?

Haven’t tried OP-1 yet. My friend and I recorded our acoustic instruments (cello and viola) in the tunnel using his Zoom H-series recorder:
http://amptext.bandcamp.com/album/directions-for-viola-and-cello

I should add to my previous comments that I am indeed a fan of blatantly artificial reverb too - like the Nonlinear and Chorale machines in BigSky, as well as the shimmer/crystal type of reverb originated by Eventide and now widely copied by Strymon, Digitech, iOS app developers, etc.

It’d be fun to try “acoustic” OP-1 with my Zoom R8 mic recording the environment in a tunnel. :slight_smile: