Digitone users - are you liking it?

Hi! Thanks a lot for all the input and opinions so far. About the algorithms, one of the Elektron guys posted at Elektronauts that they handpicked 8 very musical and diverse ones - in contrast to other hardwares where most algorithms are just variations.

Said that, I was just feeding my MPC Live with some samples from the Volca FM and he’s right: I can tell clear differences in maybe 6-8 of the 32 algorithms, but most of them are just variations - and subtle ones - of that main core. I don’t think that this is a phyisical law, but I believe that under a more controled/tamed universe of fm synthesis, with arbitrary choices to make it more musical (as happened even with the Volca FM), reducing the algorithms to the most interestings appears to be a good idea!

Indeed. And keep in mind that Volca FM and DX7 only use sine waves : from PreenFM designer, I’ve learned that some of the algorithms and in particular feedback had been introduced to simulate richer waves.
the fact that PreenFM or Digitone use different shapes as oscillators compensate for the reduced number of algorithm, and in my opinion make it more comprehensive to dial sounds.

Anyone able to compare their feelings on DN to using Dixie on iPad/iphone? Ignoring the hands on aspect and sequencer. Just focusing on the sound design. Obviously the quality of the elektron filter and drive will add a lot. But how much so?

I actually quite like the sound design UI of Dixie, even on an iPhone SE. The way the envelope sections light to show you which operator is active at which stage of the sound etc. Does DN vastly better that for sound design workflow, with equal depth?

I really like DN from what I’ve seen as a standalone FM for my studio setup. But as I don’t personally need the midi sequencer or the mega high quality (I trash 99% of my sounds with tape/pedals in any case…) I’m struggling with justifying the price, are people feeling like there’s £700 worth in terms of contemporary sound design depth/bang for buck? Or is it overkill if I’m ok with the workflow of sequencing ios FM via ios sequencers/OT?

Any feel there are cheaper recommendations that would make more sense considering my requirements? Volca FM + OT? Preen FM + OT? Or just stick with ios + OT/ios sequencers?

As an aside… I really wish Elektron would implement the Minilogue sequencer feature where you can run the sequencer and have it only sequence automation, which modulates while you play sounds live on keys. That’s not possible on DN right?

And +1 for elektron giving all their boxes tempo per track in future. I hate the workarounds I have to use for long chord sequences/melodies on my AK… Total vibe killer.

@Callofthevoid said:
As an aside… I really wish Elektron would implement the Minilogue sequencer feature where you can run the sequencer and have it only sequence automation, which modulates while you play sounds live on keys. That’s not possible on DN right?

And +1 for elektron giving all their boxes tempo per track in future. I hate the workarounds I have to use for long chord sequences/melodies on my AK… Total vibe killer.

You can use “lock trigs” as they call them to do minilogue style automation sequencing

@sammyjams said:

@Callofthevoid said:

You can use “lock trigs” as they call them to do minilogue style automation sequencing

Thanks for info, sweet! So you can play keys live and just have automation looping? Is there any option to reset the automation loop each time you press a key?

@LyingDalai said:
And to switch MIDI channel on Keystep, you just have to hold Shift and press the key corresponding to the device channel. Pretty easy. So yes, Keystep > Digitakt > Digitone is a pretty cool combo.
:slight_smile:

This is also my set up…works great!

@Callofthevoid said:
I’m struggling with justifying the price, are people feeling like there’s £700 worth in terms of contemporary sound design depth/bang for buck?

I think so. Then again, I’ve been wanting something like this for a long time, or at least since I found out about the DX200. I think Elektron have really hit it out of the park with this one. Sound design is much quicker on the DN than any other FM synth I’ve used. With the filters, LFOs, plocks etc, it’s very easy to take it into areas that aren’t even possible with other FM synths… or aren’t easy without external gear.

@sammyjams said:

@Callofthevoid said:

This is unique to DN right? I tried using trigless locks on my AK to make sure I hadn’t missed it before. Sequencer automation doesn’t work on live keys? Maybe I’m doing it wrong. Or is it a new trig type on DN (&DT?) ?
Thanks

@pselodux said:

@Callofthevoid said:
I’m struggling with justifying the price, are people feeling like there’s £700 worth in terms of contemporary sound design depth/bang for buck?

I think so. Then again, I’ve been wanting something like this for a long time, or at least since I found out about the DX200. I think Elektron have really hit it out of the park with this one. Sound design is much quicker on the DN than any other FM synth I’ve used. With the filters, LFOs, plocks etc, it’s very easy to take it into areas that aren’t even possible with other FM synths… or aren’t easy without external gear.

Yeh, DN looks/sounds great. Just totally skint these days so I’ve gotta hyper scrutinise on purchases :confused: Had £700 sat in bank for months now waiting to feel like Im sure where to throw it… I know for sure I’d dig DN but just not sure how much it’ll make a difference for me in terms of finished tracks/workflow/new sounds…over the FM options I have already.

Too much gear out there! Currently weighing up between -

-Digitone
-Behringer model d + neutron (should be pretty fun for modular with my Dominion 1)
-Behringer neutron + empress zoia
-OP-Z + chase bliss condor
-Deluge

And really digging working in ableton 10/softsynths + push 2 + vcvrack lately… which is making it hard to feel 100% about buying any new hardware at all… First World problems all round :wink:

@Callofthevoid said:

@sammyjams said:

@Callofthevoid said:

This is unique to DN right? I tried using trigless locks on my AK to make sure I hadn’t missed it before. Sequencer automation doesn’t work on live keys? Maybe I’m doing it wrong. Or is it a new trig type on DN (&DT?) ?
Thanks

Sorry, but you’re correct there. Lock trigs only effect note played with trigs :frowning:

@Tony said:
I love it so far ! I’m off topic but I’m considering getting a Digitakt to pair with my Digitone but can I run the outputs of the Digitakt to the input of the Digitone ? My audio interface has only 2 inputs that I’m already using for the Digitone.

I didn’t realize until experimenting last night that the input settings are tied to the active pattern. No big deal, since you can copy/paste the master page, but kind of annoying. The weird thing is, when I switch to any empty pattern, the ext source (Digitakt) can still be heard until I press a note on the Digitone. Not sure if that’s intended or a bug.

@sammyjams said:

@Tony said:
I love it so far ! I’m off topic but I’m considering getting a Digitakt to pair with my Digitone but can I run the outputs of the Digitakt to the input of the Digitone ? My audio interface has only 2 inputs that I’m already using for the Digitone.

I didn’t realize until experimenting last night that the input settings are tied to the active pattern. No big deal, since you can copy/paste the master page, but kind of annoying. The weird thing is, when I switch to any empty pattern, the ext source (Digitakt) can still be heard until I press a note on the Digitone. Not sure if that’s intended or a bug.

I got my Digitakt and have the same issue, yes that’s weird…

@sammyjams said:

@Tony said:

Now I tried to setup a midi track on my digitakt to control my digitone with the keystep through it, with the correct master parameters to hear the digitakt. The big issue is I don’t know why, but when I play a pattern on the digitone (without clock sync for now) and then press again on the midi track button on the digitakt, the active track sound on the digitone changes completely as the pitch also… wtf ? It occurs just when I copy paste the master page…

This happens when I’m on the digitakt preset “RUNNER2000”, not sure why…
And I can’t use pitchbend and mod wheel with the digitone sounds through the digitakt midi track, how can I set it up ?

@Tony said:
And I can’t use pitchbend and mod wheel with the digitone sounds through the digitakt midi track, how can I set it up ?

this has been confirmed by Elektron, PB, MW etc can’t be recorded thru the Digitakt to an external device : (

@sammyjams said:

@Tony said:

this has been confirmed by Elektron, PB, MW etc can’t be recorded thru the Digitakt to an external device : (

I use this setup now: keystep> digitakt midi in> digitakt midi thru> digitone midi in

That way, I can switch the control between the 2 units on the keystep (shift + midi key number) and use PB on the digitone, it works great !

The only downside is if I need a clock I have to use the clock on the keystep to make them sync together…

@Tony said:

@sammyjams said:

@Tony said:

I use this setup now: keystep> digitakt midi in> digitakt midi thru> digitone midi in

That way, I can switch the control between the 2 units on the keystep (shift + midi key number) and use PB on the digitone, it works great !

The only downside is if I need a clock I have to use the clock on the keystep to make them sync together…

Interesting, I’ll have to test this out. I’ve never used clock from the keystep because there’s no way to dial in an exact tempo, but I suppose the tempo will be displayed on the digis if clocked?

@sammyjams said:

@Tony said:

@sammyjams said:

@Tony said:

Interesting, I’ll have to test this out. I’ve never used clock from the keystep because there’s no way to dial in an exact tempo, but I suppose the tempo will be displayed on the digis if clocked?

Absolutely !

Thanks for the tip Tony, I also found if you set it up the way you mentioned, but then run midi out of the Digitone and into the Keystep, the Digitone can be the master clock (at least that seems to be working for me). You would need to make sure the dip switches on the Keystep are set to “midi” if you want to go that route.