DMX on op-z (dmx.json question)

I’ve got a Nucleum and Enttec DMX USB Pro mk2. I am able to get the Enttec PRO-Manager test software to control my lighting fixture when the Enttec is directly connected to my laptop via USB. However, it does not work when connected via the Nucleum hub (PRO-Manager says “No Enttec Device Found”). I cannot get the OP-z to send any lighting data through the Enttec DMX device, whether connected through the Nucleum hub or connected directly to the Enttec DMX device. I double-checked the DMX.json config and my RGB fixture is set to Ch.1. I have a mid-2014 Macbook Pro that doesn’t have USB-C, but I’m able to use an adapter to convert the USB-C on Nucleum to USB 3.0 and it seems to power everything just fine. Any thoughts on what to try next?

Do not change anything on the standard json file,
I also made the mistake in the begin to edit the json file but in most cases this is not necessary !
reset yr op-z to factory mode after you backup yr files, after the reset the json file goes back to the standard factory json file
The reset Made iT work for me !
Then with a clean factory reset op-z connect yr hardware…
Connection:
Op-z to nucleum hub direct with USB c connector from hub ( also power the nucleum with a charger that is rated high enough, I use my MacBook pro c charger)
Enttec to nucleum hub
Power yr dmx fixture with its OWN power connection
Dmx fixture to enttec
One thing to note I used a enttec dmx pro mk1
However mk2 should also work according to TE op-z manual

It is normal that you can not connect the nucleum to a MacBook pro without a USB c connection, to use the Nucleum you Will need to connect iT to a device that has a USB c connection like the op-z :slight_smile:

Do you guys know if it is possible to connect the op-z via USB to a computer, itself connected to a DMXUSBPro interface. In other words, use the computer as a USB Hub ?

That is not how USB works I’m afraid. For DMX the OP-Z is “the computer” (usb definition “host”) and you can not have two of those in a USB setup.

1 Like

Hello!
I have a setup with a pixel panel 440 rgb mkII and the op-z and got it working but i can only control the 16 leds in the down bottom right no matter what mode I’m in on the fixture. I assume this is because the op-z control 16 lights corresponding to the sequencer but would anyone have any idea how to specify so that it controlls all the leds?

Hi everyone! I need help with my little setup. I have read the last post and the same thing is happening to me. I have a led strip ws2813 and there are only working the first sixteen leds. Can anyone tell me how make them work completely? I am exhausted of trying different options and I don’t know what to do, I am hopeless :pensive: If someone knows how to do it please let me know, thanks in advance

I’m not a dmx expert and I successfully use a Stairville 240/8 bar in 24 channel mode with the default, unchanged dmx.json. I honestly don’t quite understand how it works and addresses all 24 channels while only 16 are specified in the file… BUT what I would try in your case is just duplicating the section of the json where it assigns the 16 channels, and changing the numbers in the duplicate portion to run from 17 to 32, and check if the next couple of leds light up.

1 Like

Hi! Thanks for answering. I tried what you said and nothing, it still doesn’t work. I just can control the first sixteen leds. I don’t know what to do, it is driving me insane. Could someone that controls a led strip with the OPz help me? Thanks in advance

Which controller are you using for the led strip? What devices are between the opz and the lights?

Finally I thought that I would not have enough space for the whole led strip if I had a little set up. The 16 leds limitation has become an advantage. I have cut pieces of 16 leds and reattached them together in a way that I can control each one. Later, I am going to stick these pieces in a little stand I have for the op-z where there is a power bank hidden. I promise to put photos with the result. Thanks very much for all your answers

1 Like

what is promised is debt

3 Likes

Looks amazing! Would love to see a detailed breakdown of your LED setup!

Me too,hope for some details, i‘m also into arduino LED design projects,

I’m suffering from the same slow down bug. Is it working for you now or do you still get the occasional slowdowns?
I’m afraid to do the factory reset as I have a huge amount of work on my op-z and I’ve read some stories about lost data after backup / restore.

I did a factory reset, but unfortunately it did not help :frowning:
I get the slowdown almost on every song after 1 minute latest when connecting the enttec.

Hey! I’ve been reading and rereading every drop of info I can about utilizing dmx and I think what’s tripping me up is the dmx.json file itself. What I’d love to get my hands on is the dmx.json file that Blicero had loaded into his OPZ for the official TE tutorial. Or something similar. Does anyone have any experience with the OPZ and pixel tube lights?

I’m running the OPZ into a Kingston nucleas powered usb hub with the Enttec DMX USB Pro mk2 and I have 4 Nanlite Pavotube II 30X lights. I’ve been experimenting with just one light and am having a tough time getting the OPZ to reliably control the parameters. It’s a complex light with many modes but the OPZ says that it can configure up to 128 channels. I’m assuming this is per fixture?? So technically it could control 128 parameters per light fixture, but I’m confused since the DMX chart TE provides only lists 18 options (red, green, blue, white etc…) as supported channels? Is it possible to write in a different command like strobe or scroll?

Am I reading this wrong? Im definitely doing something wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated.

The dmx thing is still a mystery to me - I have a 8-segment LED bar that works perfectly with the OP-Z vanilla dmx.json, in fact it does exactly what the preview mode on the OP-Z shows, but I HAVE NO IDEA HOW IT ACTUALLY WORKS… my 8-segment fixtures uses 24 channels:

1: Red Intensity Segment 1
2: Green Intensity Segment 1
3: Blue Intensity Segment 1
4: Red Intensity Segment 2 … and so on…

Now, how the hell does the OP-Z tell the fixture to e.g. light up segment 2 only? Does it mean that it sends 0 on all channels 1-128 except for 4, 5, 6 ? I am beginning to grasp how this works but it would be great if somebody with real expertise could explain this a bit… My current understanding is that if you have a fixture that only processes RGB intensity values, then go with the vanilla dmx.json… only if your fixture does fancy stuff like moving around, fogging, etc then mess around with the file…

1 Like