Elektron Analog Heat

One nice idea to sell many would have been to externalize their sequencer with trig conditions and plocks, different rhythmic signatures, and MIDI + CV outputs. A Squarp Pyramid with a shitload of knobs… Something that would push Elektron to refine their paradigm…

All the modular heads would have been crazy ! All the people that have a synth without proper sequencer would have seen their gear evolve… Maybe bite to the Elektron hook…

I would have needed a Qu-Pac like mixer, with plockable FX routing and all the crazy Elektron bananas we could have imagined.

Now…
I played with the demo quite a lot. This little thing is brilliant. And you can really see how the sound is enhanced, how the filters and EQ are pretty good…
I still don’t have the GAS for this thing, it’s way to expensive. But I am less disappointed :wink:

Reminds me of the Scream device in reason, which I used to really like. I’d be all over this is it had some digital fx and a looper and compressor. Maybe we’ll get those as separate modules in the future though!

Reminds me of the Scream device in reason, which I used to really like. I'd be all over this is it had some digital fx and a looper and compressor.

Yeah man I loved Scream in Reason too! I think Elektron kind of undershot with this box. They should have gone for a full on multi-fx box with mixture of analog and digital, covering EVERYTHING… Tape sims, amp sims, pitch/pog stuff etc. Maybe made it multi channel, so like 4 x everything was possible simultaneously, with 4 x stereo in/out. I’d have been in to that for sure. Even at £1000+.

I’d still love to grab a heat, but so many other ways to spend £670! How many people own a sherman filter bank? That thing sounds killer, but I always felt it as kind of niche/luxury item. Something I ‘might’ one day grab but not for a while. The heat is more expensive, and possibly has the ak/a4 filter, which I wouldn’t value very highly… Not sure how many they’ll sell. Altho Elektron is kind of a cult to some dudes that will grab it no matter what :wink:

Ordered one off MusicStore.de (along with a TB03 and TR09) , they're pretty good to use, I bought my Dominion 1 off them. Opted for cash on delivery so if theres's a delay then I'm not out of pocket. :) Plus its free delivery to the UK.

The only disadvantage is the stupid 2 pin plugs :)

Ordered one off MusicStore.de (along with a TB03 and TR09) , they're pretty good to use, I bought my Dominion 1 off them. Opted for cash on delivery so if theres's a delay then I'm not out of pocket. :) Plus its free delivery to the UK.

Was just thinking this would be the perfect combo with the TB-03 and TR-09!!! All have audio over USB, what a high end-futuristic Acid Set-up that is. I was shocked how expensive the new Rolands are when converted to my native Canadian dollars though :(.

Reminds me of the Scream device in reason, which I used to really like. I'd be all over this is it had some digital fx and a looper and compressor.

Yeah man I loved Scream in Reason too! I think Elektron kind of undershot with this box. They should have gone for a full on multi-fx box with mixture of analog and digital, covering EVERYTHING… Tape sims, amp sims, pitch/pog stuff etc. Maybe made it multi channel, so like 4 x everything was possible simultaneously, with 4 x stereo in/out. I’d have been in to that for sure. Even at £1000+.

I’d still love to grab a heat, but so many other ways to spend £670! How many people own a sherman filter bank? That thing sounds killer, but I always felt it as kind of niche/luxury item. Something I ‘might’ one day grab but not for a while. The heat is more expensive, and possibly has the ak/a4 filter, which I wouldn’t value very highly… Not sure how many they’ll sell. Altho Elektron is kind of a cult to some dudes that will grab it no matter what :wink:

If the actual audio interface aspect of it is decent, I could see it replacing an Apogee duet nicely. If you just have a few instruments that you sample and track out to hardware, this could add a lot of value to your set-up. I wish they would have made it a regular Elektron sized box with a simple looper and mad digital FX , and a compressor.

I want to live at your place.

I’m starting to see the usefulness of an analog distortion box but tbh would still grab a Sherman over the heat. Not that I have the money right now anyway!

Sherman FB is mno I believe. Restyler is stereo.
I think I will get me a Strymon Deco, it seems really versatile…

Playing with the idea of hacking a fuzz or screamer diy kit from Techniguitare and make it stereo…
Could be fun !

Sherman FB is mno I believe. Restyler is stereo. I think I will get me a Strymon Deco, it seems really versatile...

Playing with the idea of hacking a fuzz or screamer diy kit from Techniguitare and make it stereo…
Could be fun !

Mono is not so bad, lots of sources are mono anyway and if you’re going to be abusing the signal with distortion and filters then any delicate panning will probably not matter much in the end…

@anfim good point.

I got fun with a simple mono fuzz on the Slim Phatty yesterday night…

That said, if it’s only for heating the signal, Strymon Deco like, stereo stays important.
In this regard, the Restyler seems appropriate as well :slight_smile:

I kind of thought the new release from Elektron was going to be an effects box.

I thought though that they were trying to beat Bastl Instruments with their THYME to market with a sequence-able effects box.

http://www.bastl-instruments.com/instruments/thyme/

I kind of thought the new release from Elektron was going to be an effects box.
I thought though that they were trying to beat Bastl Instruments with their THYME to market with a sequence-able effects box.

http://www.bastl-instruments.com/instruments/thyme/

Do you have any intel on the Thyme and if it's still under development? I've been eyeing it for a while but there seems to be no progress let alone a release date.

@crudeoperator a few months ago I got in touch with the bastl guys and they said it was still under development.

I reckon this ill be a killer little effects box. bastl like to do things very differently and more interesting than everyone else :slight_smile:

@crudeoperator a few months ago I got in touch with the bastl guys and they said it was still under development.

Awesome! Looking forward to this little baby.

For me it’s all about the sound quality. Looking forward to trying it! The clean boost really caught my attention. And the EQ!? I wonder how the EQ moves…The dirty dists sound cool too, but not everyone want to mangle their sounds.
Dataline was a bit reluctant too, he admitted in a comment at Elektronauts. But now he can’t imagine making music without it.
I guess it can have this game changer functionality after all. The ability to turn the source into a shining state, so that the original sound a bit “in the box” in comparison…

Yeah, the more I play with the demo the more is growing the lust to touch it :smiley:
I can very well imagine any of my synth in its mouth.
The price is what makes me a bit reluctant…

1050 CDN ouch the HEAT BURNS!

1050 CDN ouch the HEAT BURNS!

Lousy low loonie makes everything worse. My Octatrack was 1600 bucks BEFORE tax.

Anyways, I’m sure this thing will sound good, but it seems kinda limited. I mean, there are a lot of things to make your stuff sound pretty or disastrous or whatever.

I dunno, it’s probably alright. Just not something I personally can get worked up over.

I think this device will appeal to performers - the real time controls are what differentiates this from e.g. a UAD thermionic culture vulture plugin.

It makes more sense when combined with an op-1 or an octatrack. Also if you end up using it as an audio interface the price starts making a bit more sense but still it is pricey.