Encoder knobs are all tearing

4 jear old op-1 encoder knobs are all tearing at the same place. Is this known/ normal?

tearing… ?

do you mean cracking?

mine have cracks down them too. I assumed it was because of weight/pressure during transportation.

Yes cracking. From top (color coding) to bottom. This started it think half a year ago on just one. But now all knobs have the same issue. Looking at the inside of the knobs, the cracks are all on the same spot.

Happened to my first op 1, which I actually got replacement knobs from TE free :), but was within warranty mind. sold that one ages ago and now have a new one which is op 1 version 2, hopefully it doesn’t have the same issue

Replacement caps are $20 on the TE website…

https://teenage.engineering/products/op-1/accessories

DJ tech tools chroma caps?

Thanks! Will order new ones. Not that isn’t functional but it needs to be pristine.

Happened to my first op 1, which I actually got replacement knobs from TE free :), but was within warranty mind. sold that one ages ago and now have a new one which is op 1 version 2, hopefully it doesn't have the same issue

How do you look the version 1 of the 2? I have the 221xx… is mine the 2 version?

happened to one of my encoders knobs too. i bought a pack of new knobs from te to replace them in case they come apart. but for now i keep them on the device.

for me it is the first synth where to replace knobs ever. I never got them off and on the device so I don’t understand why all broken.

I need a new rotary after my daughter somehow cracking the inside of one of mine. Still OK for now, stays on, but some point needs replacing.

£20 for 4 new knobs seems insane tho? If someone has bought an Op1 then it would be nice if replacements were available at close to ‘cost’ price. Wonder how much TE pay for these… They don’t feel especially expensive?

Well it is not the quality I expect. I have synths way older (+20yrs) that are used more often and stil have good knobs. Price is more in handling and giving them a sense of quality. When they are cheap, they are cheap. Moog knobs go for 9 EUR each right? Hope the new ones live up to their price :slight_smile:

Is it possible to replace the white square around the encoder? For me, it’s the white square near the red encoder. It warped slightly. Very minor but I’m a little OCD. Thanks.

I noticed the same thing on mine today. One was completely cracked top to bottom and another just started. I contacted Amazon who agreed to refund me the insane £44.85 from ifixit.com to order replacement knobs. They initially wanted to swap out the entire OP-1 but that just seemed a little excessive to me so this was probably cheaper on all sides.