Errors when looping

Hello good people of op-1 community!

I’ve had this same issue ever since I bought op-1.

I usually start off with a 4-bar progression, so setting the 4-bar loop would be the first thing to do.
After adjusting some effects and maybe playing around for a bit, the loop is slightly moved over so it misses the exact bar.
Sometimes it randomly just shortens the loop. The worst part is that I can’t really fix it since it messes everything up.

Does anyone have the same issue or know about this ?
Please let me know !

+ come check out my video and leave comments ! ; )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xCsztxp2BI c

Firstly, I dig the tune and video!

I’m not sure if what you’re experiencing is quite the same as what I’ve encountered but it sounds like the result is similar, loops get shifted or clipped slightly.

I’ll set the master tempo to 80 BPM, select 4 measures using SHIFT + >, then record a drum loop on one tape track.
Next I’ll record some chords or something on a second tape track…if I press STOP once, then use LIFT to delete that loop, sometimes the play head jumps back to a point just slightly before the IN marker.
If I’m not cautious then the next take of that loop is recorded that much out of sync with the other recorded tape tracks, leaving either a silent spot or odd clip at one end of the loop. If after LIFT I press STOP again, then the play head goes back to the correct IN marker time.

This doesn’t always occur, like if the IN marker is at 0:00:00, or if there isn’t anything recorded on the same tape track immediately before the IN marker.

I hope my description makes sense.
It may not be all that helpful to you, but it really does seem like we’re encountering a similar effect.
Just being aware of the exact location of the IN and OUT markers and using caution when lifting and dropping clips is what helps me prevent this issue…usually :wink:

SHIFT + 3(loop) might be helpful here.

3sleeves // Thanks for sharing your thoughts and your kind words about my video! So I guess it’s just one of the “op-1” things we have to deal with… Your workflow also sounds pretty similar to mine. I mean, I don’t think it won’t be that bad after I get used to it, but it would be much better to have this fixed. I will bump this thread if I figure something out. Until then, keep on groovin!

dotcommunion // Good idea. Thanks!!

@3sleeves: I’ve tried to replicate what’s been happening for you without any success so far. Is there any chance you could post a video showing what happens?

Also, @afroduckswagga, if you can come up with the exact steps (or a video) to replicate what’s happening for you.

Sometimes it randomly just shortens the loop.

perhaps you’re accidentally hitting the set-loop-points buttons? happens to me occasionally, easy to do when twiddling on the keyboard in tape mode.

the loop is slightly moved over so it misses the exact bar.
A bit less likely, but maybe you’re accidentally doing shift+blue knob, which IIRC shifts the loop region?

I happens to me everyday. But i thought I did something wrong (I probably did most of the time, tweaking a Knob on the wrong screen, pressing two button instead of one…). Do you have a video of the bug ?
Also i think I read here about bugs at the start 0.0.0 of the tape so I always start four bar away.

@3sleeves ive noticed this, i always double tap the stop button because of this

@<a href=“https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/profile/53/5StarNomad” class=“Username” style=“margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-weight: bold; font-size: 15px; font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; text-decoration-line: none; color: rgb(66, 157, 168); background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>5StarNomad<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”> I will definitely share it when I get it on the camera !
@<a href=“https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/profile/77/beefinator” class=“Username” style=“margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-weight: bold; font-size: 15px; font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; text-decoration-line: none; color: rgb(66, 157, 168); background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>beefinator<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”> I don’t think it’s the blue knob issue. One thing I’m suspecting is maybe I have too many 4-bar loops ? I usually keep about 5 loop ideas so I can play around with it.
<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>@<a href=“https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/profile/3021/TiboDzi” class=“Username” style=“margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-weight: bold; font-size: 15px; font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; text-decoration-line: none; color: rgb(1, 115, 198); background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>TiboDzi<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”> I am not sure what’s going on with this issue, but I will upload a video when I catch it on camera.

I lots of looping issues when I first had my OP1 with this, especially when I was doing shift+lift to take all four tracks and “duplicate” them to create an arrangement. It really annoyed me, and I thought my OP1 was broken, but it turns out you just need to do a few things to keep your loop “clean”.

To “fix” it, I got into this habit:

- always double-tap the stop button, or use shift+left/right arrows to position exactly on a beat marker before you lift. Especially if you are lifting/dropping
- if there’s an tape tracks that are slightly off the beat marker, use cut/heal to make sure the 4 bars (or however many) is completely clean at the start and end. If it has a little gap at the start, record some silence in there so that you can line it up exactly. (make sure you switch any source off by hitting the mic button)
- to help with the above, I locate to the start point of the loop, then cycle through each tape track and hit cut, like this: 1+cut, 2+cut, 3+cut, 4+cut. Takes about 2 seconds. Then I go to the end of the loop (using shift+right arrow) and do the same at the end
- also need to make sure you don’t accidentally bump the loop brace knob (green), which I use to do ALL the time in the heat of the jam

I’ve never had stuff drift since doing this!

Here’s my issue I have a loop I play it alone it’s perfect then I drop another of it and the first beat of the loop that was just perfect is silent or missing what’s that?